• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese BD/DVD Sales Down 5.1% From 2014, Anime BD/DVD Sales Down 6.9%

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the main point if this article is just to show how how physical disc sales are going down. Maybe it's still popular in Japan, but who buys dvd's still?? Not many in America. I think apparently overall anime money/sales are up, and that should continue with the fact that streaming makes it so much more accessible to the entire world, and anime companies are now getting money from that, which didn't even exist like 5 years ago or something, for the most part. Even if Japan is slow to adopt streaming, the money will come in for around the globe and the anime industry should be in great shape for the next few years.

And I also predict that at some point within the next 5 years or so, Hollywood is going to start making American live action movies from anime's and that would launch a huge anime boom in America if the films turned out good and it became the new trend like superhero movies and probably replacing the young adult novel movies which are going out of fashion right now.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
I start season 1 Because people I know where hyping up season 2 that came out in 2014. How about you don't jump the gun next time if you want me to take you seriously ? ( pretty rude if you ask me )

Wow, it's worse than I thought. Much worse. So basically, what you're saying is that anime should be ordered under the year you - dark13 - first watched them, instead of the year in which they came out. So since you first watched the first season of SAO in 2014 it should count towards that year's quality rating instead of the year it actually aired in, 2012.

Does this mean that if you watch Dirty Pair's first season before this year is out, it is counted as a 2016 series rather than from 1986? Cause under your own stated logic that's what would happen.

Don't you realise how absolutely ridiculous this is? I'm floored, I really am. Even if English isn't your first language that still doesn't explain how you could think that your position is a rational one to take.

In the end, your belief that 2014 wasn't a good year because of all the anime from previous years that you watched in it is just plain wrong. You're entitled to your opinion, but if you want to be taken seriously you need to completely rethink the way you organise anime.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
and it makes me sad that japanese fans and some of you guys think that year was great and it hurts.

Really? People having different opinions than yours hurt you?
Oh, please. Also 2015 was a horrible year for me, as well as Winter for 2016, so at least I can agree with the sales going down, even if it can't be attributed to this completely.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
dark13 wrote:
I start season 1 Because people I know where hyping up season 2 that came out in 2014. How about you don't jump the gun next time if you want me to take you seriously ? ( pretty rude if you ask me )

In the end, your belief that 2014 wasn't a good year because of all the anime from previous years that you watched in it is just plain wrong. You're entitled to your opinion, but if you want to be taken you need to completely rethink the way you organise anime.
First I never said that and secondly would my Opinion even changed if, I watched season 2 ? you already know how I feel about season 1 if you mean by taking seriously by which you mean lying and saying 2014 is the Best year and shows like SAO II is a deep and complex anime e.i Fanboy mod sorry I can't do that for you, also to correct you its Organize if your Gonna critic my English, I might as well critic yours, also all the anime from previous years ? when did I say that ? I only watched one that was from 2012 and that was only SAO your saying my logic is flawed but there is so much wrong with you logic

( if you read my other post i give example of two animes I watched in 2014 )

Sunny milk 2014 had shit shows like Irregular at Magic High School,M3 the dark metal and Captain earth such a garbage year for me ( and again only examples) winter 2016 was pretty good for me and the rest of 2016 is looking better with anime like D grey man coming back the dark days of 2014 for me is over.

Last edited by dark13 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:35 am; edited 5 times in total
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:15 am Reply with quote
people are starting to wake up and realize they are being utterly exploited by the retail costs production companies are asking for. especially in japan where the price per episode is much higher than anywhere else in the world. in some ways this is a good thing... it means we will get less trashy anime and less anime on the whole. production companies will need to be more selective with the types of projects they take on as less revenue will be coming in from here on out. just a matter of time before japan fully embraces the streaming model and retail releases are only given small print runs for collector's. this is what happens when greed and excess becomes an industry norm. it is not sustainable.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
Inopethflames wrote:
Maybe it's still popular in Japan, but who buys dvd's still??

Buying one anime series of 12-13 episodes will cost you $300-400 in Japan.

While watching the same series, streaming user brings in few cents of ad revenue.

Switching from discs to streaming will lead to massive loss of revenue to anime industry.
teferi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
That is very understandable, since 2014 we have monster-seller series like Love Live!, Haikyuu, Yukai-watch etc; as well as numerous 10000+ and 7000+ sellers.

On the contrast, 2015's anime market is relatively poor. Especially last winter and summer.

Sometimes, many solid sellers along with few best sellers really help to make a great year
I thought if I could keep my mouth shut I could just ignore this But I have to say something I don't want to believe that 2014 was that great of a year no in fact it was really bad that was the year I drop so many shows ( SAO Season 1 being one of them but its an anime from 2012 so I never watched season 2 ) Haikyuu was like one of the few good ones but everything else was just awful to point, I stopped watching anime for whole year 2015 was the year things got better ( and 2016 looking even better) and it makes me sad that japanese fans and some of you guys think that year was great and it hurts.

Your use of "was like" and the lack of punctuation hurt me : |

I think it's pretty obvious that Engineering Nerd was evaluating 2014 based on something more objective than what shows they liked.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
teferi wrote:

Your use of "was like" and the lack of punctuation hurt me : |

I think it's pretty obvious that Engineering Nerd was evaluating 2014 based on something more objective than what shows they liked.
Your disrespectful attitude about my writing hurts me more
: |

[EDIT: Do not over-quote. ~Zalis]
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
people are starting to wake up and realize they are being utterly exploited by the retail costs production companies are asking for. especially in japan where the price per episode is much higher than anywhere else in the world. in some ways this is a good thing... it means we will get less trashy anime and less anime on the whole. production companies will need to be more selective with the types of projects they take on as less revenue will be coming in from here on out. just a matter of time before japan fully embraces the streaming model and retail releases are only given small print runs for collector's. this is what happens when greed and excess becomes an industry norm. it is not sustainable.

BD/DVD sales is only a small part of what production companies care about. What is really important for them is if the sales of Light novels, manga that the anime is based on are going up, because that is mostly the reason they got the anime made.

And was proved again and again that in Japan bringing the BD prices down don't make the sales go up.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
People here tend to forget that many Japanese consumers still favor disc rentals over purchases. Commentators usually point to the small size of Japanese living accommodations as the reason fewer Japanese viewers collect discs. This preference for rentals is one reason why BD and DVD prices in Japan are so high. A large fraction of sales are going to rental companies, not individual consumers, so the high cost for product can be amortized over multiple rentals.

Changes in consumers' tastes will eventually influence sales as rental companies need to stock less product, but the link is probably weaker than it would be if consumer purchases mainly drove sales.

From all I've read streaming is still pretty uncommon in Japan which seems to fly in the face of the "small homes mean small collections" hypothesis. I suspect the slow adoption of streaming has more to do with the producers' and distributors' policies than demand from consumers, but I really haven't seen much that explains well the slow adoption of streaming. One reason might be that a lot of Japanese households do not own PCs. In 2013 the figure was just 57% nationwide. In contrast, as early as 2007 Nielsen reported that 88% of Korean households owned a PC.

Last edited by yuna49 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
All right, everyone, let's step back from the snippy comments.

dark13 wrote:
Your disrespectful attitude about my writing hurts me more
: |

You've been warned before for your lack of punctuation and tendency to overquote, both present in this thread. This isn't an IM chat room - put periods at the end of your sentences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
Complications of some sort from certain production committees may have been part of the reason why BD/DVD sales have been slowing to a crawl these past couple of years.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
I wonder if the sales tax increase in 2014 has anything to do with it...
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Does anybody here know the economical situation in Japan overall in those two years?

True, it could be that digital releases and American hits (we all know how Frozen kicked every loli in the face) competed fairly well against Japanese BD/DVD. Or, the fact that so many anime are produced, the quantity of BD/DVD released is constantly higher that the quantity of BD/DVD bought.

However, that is easy to think when we think that Japanese people constantly have enough money for buying BD and DVD. No matter how much of an otaku you proclaim to be, if you need to eat you can't have Roasted BD case with rice. Is there inflation? Are salaries discussed between syndicates (if there are any) and government? Is school/university mostly private and if it is, how hard is it to mantain it? And cars, are they easy to mantain too? How is the unployement?

Of course I don't expect anyone to answer me that, but we should also consider there are causes we yet don't know. Even so, if one of the causes was the bubble effect I mentioned, it's also very easy saying now "Hey, make less anime", okay, where do we put all the unemployed people? Do we give money to other studios so they can hire them and eventually monopolize the market? Doesn't sound that good to me.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Inopethflames wrote:
but who buys dvd's still?? Not many in America

People who shop at WalMart. Though I agree with you, (BD is going up, and DVD is going down), there are still a lot of people still buying DVD. Even Best Buy still has a significant DVD presence. Aniplex also thinks that DVD equals Standard release, I still laugh at that Japanese marketing insult to NA.

Xristophoros wrote:
people are starting to wake up and realize they are being utterly exploited by the retail costs production companies are asking for. especially in japan

This is already well known in NA. You know, everytime Aniplex is mentioned in an article or post. Nobody has been asleep in the West at all. Your “especially in japan” is just a pipe dream. Justin and Zac have explained time and time again, what drives the Anime industry in Japan. What you want may happen eventually in Japan, but it will be a long time coming, thankfully.
I say thankfully, because I am with the group, that says, “be careful what you wish for”.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5