• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Thunderbolt Blu-ray Has English Dub, Subtitles

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little confused. It says Director's Cut, but the original episodes were 18min each I believe which works out to 72min for the whole shebang while RS is listing it at 70min. So where's the extra footage or is it a typo at RightStuf's page?

I'm interested, but getting extras that aren't translated is like getting teased with a desert dish after dinner and then being told you can only look at it not consume it. Does this mean that besides the on disk extras the staff interviews in the 108pg booklet also wont be translated? I'm getting irritated now.

I wonder if the regular edition Blu-ray has subs and dub? If it does maybe its worth importing from Japan?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I wonder if the regular edition Blu-ray has subs and dub? If it does maybe its worth importing from Japan?

For the cheaper, standard edition (http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01EHI4MOK), Google translates some of the disc info as:

"Language: Japanese, English
Subtitles: Japanese, French, Chinese, English, Korean"
amagee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'll buy it because I'm a glutton for punishment but Rightstuf really needs to remember that Gundam fans for this type of thing tend to be older or more dedicated so translating that bonus material would be incredibly valuable to many of them.

It doesn't have to be even all that fancy. If they'd be willing to make a pamphlet with everything translated and typed out, that would be just fine. You just send it with every order made through their company.

Hell, run a Kickstarter for the cost of translating the bonus materials. I'll drop extra money for that content.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:

I'm interested, but getting extras that aren't translated is like getting teased with a desert dish after dinner and then being told you can only look at it not consume it. Does this mean that besides the on disk extras the staff interviews in the 108pg booklet also wont be translated? I'm getting irritated now.

Yeah, that's annoying. I really wish they would translate the extra content. That's the kind of stuff that's invaluable to me.

Quote:

It does. It's the same disc. Amazon Japan and the Bandai website list it as such, and WTK confirmed it.
Adnaechan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I'm a little confused. It says Director's Cut, but the original episodes were 18min each I believe which works out to 72min for the whole shebang while RS is listing it at 70min. So where's the extra footage or is it a typo at RightStuf's page?

18min includes the ending. Without it, every episode is 16min long, so for 4 episodes, it would be 64min. Seems like we'll be getting at best 6min of extra footage.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Damn that's an awful lot of money for very little then again it is Japan and even with an English dub including it's still not enough to get me to buy the limited edition however I might be inclined to get the standard edition as long as I don't have to pay too much on importation. Confused
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
When Rightstuf releases this in North America in a year or so, it'll probably still MSRP at $50. Which kinda sucks. Japan really wants to push these prices into North America to protect against reverse importing. But its soooooo backasswords. Its a detriment to the product. Which can carry itself, if the price is right.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Woah, that's great.

Damn, that price...I dunno if I can afford it.
Also yeah, at that price atleast have the decency to commission subs for the extras too.

TheMorry wrote:
Honestly i rather hear when the Iron-Blooded Orphans dub will be released. They said early 2016..... its nearly May....

Me too, about time we got a new full series dubbed. The couple of revealed cast is really nice too. But yeah, soon we'll be through the whole first half of 2016.
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Damn that's an awful lot of money for very little then again it is Japan and even with an English dub including it's still not enough to get me to buy the limited edition however I might be inclined to get the standard edition as long as I don't have to pay too much on importation. Confused

Yeah, it's steep - but pretty much in line with what you would import a Blu from Japan for. I just picked up the Yamato 2199 discs that voyager didn't release in the states and they were running me just slightly south of that price.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

If you live in the US and get this from Amazon Japan, you will only need to pay 1200 yen for shipping. No importation taxes or anything like that. The total will run you like $55 or so. Not a terrible deal. Mostly equivalent to AoA movie prices.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Mind officially blown. I'm gonna blow so much money on imports.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
As much as I appreciate the effort by Rightstuf I think I'll just stick to getting the standard blu ray edition (assuming it has the english dub as well).

Unicorn pushed me to the limit of how much I'm willing to spend on a one hour production and I don't think I can spend much more no matter how many extras they cram in.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Another insultingly overpriced release without translated extras from Sunrise.
Release the SE BD here and maybe we'll talk.
Otherwise, fudge you. Laughing

Last edited by MrBonk on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
Real shame that Thunderbolt episodes are really only 15 minutes of actual content each, this is literally the best looking Gundam since 0083, and one of the best attempts at high level of detail and shading I've seen in a stupid long time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2