• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Spice & Wolf Novel 17

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I guess you missed the point of Holo's insistance of sending those invitations in the first then?

No, I think Holo made her true intent quite clear in her statement at the very end. And frankly, I believe that's exactly what she meant because it would be so perfectly in-character for her.
Mmm. You're either being very coy, or you're still not getting it.
Wink
stevek504

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:50 am Reply with quote
Well, I was a little bit disappointed about this volume. I would have liked to have seen the whole volume dedicated to the travels of the guest and a bit more about the activities after they arrived. I really would like to hear about how Nora and Elsa got along - perhaps Nora could take over the church (or did Elsa stay?). I don't think many on the guest list knew that Holo was a wolf, though I get the impression in the story that they do now somehow. This part of the whole story was just too vague and short.

spoiler[I think it was ambiguous about whither they are already married or if that was going to happen at this time. Reading it the first time, I thought that the couple had already married and that this event was to celebrate the opening of the inn and that Holo was expecting the birth of their daughter. Now I am just not sure.]
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
stevek504 wrote:
This part of the whole story was just too vague and short.

Well, it's a tough balance to hit, but i prefer this kind of ending to one that's TOO conclusive, like the FMA: Brotherhood anime, etc. We don't have to see EVERY detail of their future lives, no matter how much my inner fanboy wants it.

I enjoyed the series quite a bit, though i will agree that it was stretched a bit towards the end. By about volume 10 I was totally that guy wanting to press Lawrence's and Holo's faces together and say "NOW KISS!!!" The tension slew me, lol.

One thing i did appreciate about the series is how nearly every conflict was resolved through nonviolent means; it struck me just how much more difficult this is than your average "I punched my problems away" story. All in all, I was happy with this series, even though it makes me sad that the rest of it will likely never be animated.
stevek504

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One thing i did appreciate about the series is how nearly every conflict was resolved through nonviolent means...

That is so true. Between the characters that you care about and the great story, the series deserves all the praise it receives because it is just that good. It worked very hard to earn its place in my top five books from Japan.
AP24

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the Spring Log stories will also get official English release.
hpulley

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
One minor flaw to Hasekura's writing (and this is a flaw that is, in fact, pretty common to light novels released in the States, so it may be a general stylistic point in Japan, or perhaps a quirk of the way the novels are translated) is a frustrating lack of clarity at times about which character is speaking in conversations.

It is very common in both light novels and literary novels in Japanese to completely omit the identification of the speaker in dialogue. Many novels never once say who is speaking, or perhaps say so the very first time they speak. Instead, manners of speaking, personal pronouns, sentence endings, verb conjugation choices and catch phrases which vary by the speaker's age, sex, birthplace and social status are used for identification. In Japanese it is very easy to tell male and female speakers apart, unless it is part of their character to speak using language quirks commonly employed by the opposite sex. The lines of characters who are not native Japanese speakers are also written in a particular way which is very easy to recognize. Once translated to natural English, however, it may be impossible to identify the speaker so the translator should in these cases add something like, "...Holo said," to the lines of dialogue to make it clear in the localized version of the text, or they should add enough flavor to the English used by each character that you can tell them apart, similar to how it is done in Japanese. Doing neither of those things would be a failure on the part of the translator, in my opinion.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
17 volumes, huh? Does anyone know if there are any plans to release the series in an omnibus format? Confused (Just curious, is all.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2