• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bleach Manga Enters 'Climax' In 2 Chapters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redranger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
The nightmare is finally over.

Ichigo better end up with Rukia or I will riot...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
redranger wrote:

No one is getting paired. Kubo flat out said that he didn't want romance in the series. The romantic dead ends naturally, are more examples of trolling.
Deynard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:

Fairy Tail hasn't ended yet

There are things worse than ending, for example continuation of Fairy Tail. Just stop kicking it, it's already dead!
Deadwing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Did Jump force Kubo to end Bleach prematurely or something? This seems awfully rushed. The final boss gets a shorter fight than many of his henchmen. Also, there are at least a couple dozen unfinished plot threads. Many Bankai haven't been shown. Some characters' fates have been unrevealed. This really could have gone on at least until year's end.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
^It's very obvious they did. Not only is it getting a super rushed ending, they're not even giving it cover/opening color pages, just a good ole' center color, even though it's the series's 15th anniversary
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
The guy who "broke" the news on Twitter mentioned there would be a "celebration" of the anniversary, but I think that just meant a color page. I'm kind of shocked it's not getting an extended page count at the very least; just the normal 17 pages.

He'll probably clean it all up with the Kanzenban like Takei did with Shaman King.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
They also gave him rope of 4+ years for this final arc. This arc would be 206 chapters out of 700, or ~30% of the series.
And if you divide the series into this arc and everything beforehand, it's 206 compared to the 494 chapters beforehand. That is, it can be considered that back when this arc started up, he basically got the equivalent of 41% additional time, compared to what he had already produced to that point.

Regardless of when those above at Shueisha gave the final order, Kubo is the one who painted (or wrote?) himself into the corner over these past 4 years.
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
They also gave him rope of 4+ years for this final arc. This arc would be 206 chapters out of 700, or ~30% of the series.
And if you divide the series into this arc and everything beforehand, it's 206 compared to the 494 chapters beforehand. That is, it can be considered that back when this arc started up, he basically got the equivalent of 41% additional time, compared to what he had already produced to that point.

Regardless of when those above at Shueisha gave the final order, Kubo is the one who painted (or wrote?) himself into the corner over these past 4 years.

Not quite his fault though, they were very aware of how glacially paced Bleach was since the very beginning. Kubo was actually doing a great job in this last arc (full of great foreshadowing usage and completing many loose ends with several other long "abbandoned" plot points)... that is, until Jump announced the axe.

From that point on, it got just ridiculously rushed (even the foreshadowed Fullbringers felt like a pure deus ex machina bullshit). It pisses me off, because even Gerard's fight wasn't completed after so much time being well spent on it.

fudge Jump, really.

BrainBlow wrote:
About damn time. Now I can get to mark it off as "read." This whole arc, but especially this climax, makes even the worst anime-original endings seem original and well-written.

You probably are reading a different manga than ourselves. This arc was being overall better than the Soul Society arc to an extent (the pacing is pretty shitty, tho, it's Bleach after all, you can only enjoy by reading the full tankobon *still better than I am a Hero in that regard*). It's the Myth Arc after all. Lots of great content being very well connected through the whole story (even though there was a little phrase from White Ichigo that got retconned in the big reveal, but that could also be a translation mistake, since Kubo is very vague about some specific info he wants to hide until he reach the climax for it).

Btw, I'll leave you all with a big list of fridge brilliance from this arc:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fridge/Bleach

I wanted to give Bleach an overall 8/10, but I guess this rushed shit will make me give it a 6/10 at best. Bleach was still selling quite well too, Jump went full retard again (like that time they refused Attack on Titan).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
There is one chapter left per the latest news.

This is going to be the most bungled finale to a story since Spider Man sold his marriage to the devil to save his decrepit aunt.

I thought the Clone Saga was the gold standard of bungled writing Razz
Dextres

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
The nightmare is finally over.

Just don't petition...just don't.

We all know how that went over with Naruto ending and ship wars.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Don't even get me started on The Last.. I could rant for hours...but that would be off-topic.

The best we can hope for is no pairings.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Has Kubo's writing this arc really been great if he kept introducing new questions throughout what should be a final arc?
I've personally stopped really caring a while ago, but casual glancing over the reactions from people more invested than I am reminds me that there's been a case of kudzu plot throughout an arc that really should've stayed away from that practice.
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Even if a lot of people disagree with the direction the series has taken, that's no reason to axe a series that has been a flag ship for jump and been going on for fifteen years.

There must be other reasons behind it. Kubo stated in an interview that he doesn't get along with his superiors. I think this is the doing of someone specifically who didn't think much of Kubo.

That said, it will be the worst ending out of the big three generation we have grown up with, with more unanswered questions and aborted plotlines than you can imagine.

This is shueisha, this is the Shonen jump. May people know what prices of sh. They are.

Bleach will still be loved by people like me, Kubos next work better be in a different magazine and publisher
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Has Kubo's writing this arc really been great if he kept introducing new questions throughout what should be a final arc?

Is that a rhetorical question?
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Will One Piece send off Bleach into the afterlife like it did Naruto??? I wanna see Luffy talking to Ichigo. Very Happy

I don't think so, I don't remember ever seeing anything that showed Oda and Kubo were close at all. Oda and Kishimoto have been friends over the years but I can't remember anything where Oda and Kubo were friendly but I could be wrong.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10