• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aussie Restaurant Designs Pikachu, Charmander, Bulbasaur-themed Poké-Burgers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason everyone is assuming they didn't get permission and pay licensing fees for this short-term promotion? Does Pokemon Company never license its stuff to anyone?

The not being able to choose which one you want almost makes me think they did get permission and this was one of the wonky requirements from the licensor for some arcane reason. Might also be why they're $12 a pop.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is there a reason everyone is assuming they didn't get permission and pay licensing fees for this short-term promotion? Does Pokemon Company never license its stuff to anyone?

The not being able to choose which one you want almost makes me think they did get permission and this was one of the wonky requirements from the licensor for some arcane reason. Might also be why they're $12 a pop.

Probably because Nintendo are copyright nazis so odds are pretty low that this was approved.

As for the random burgers, it's a psychological tactic frequently used by marketers to keep customers coming back for more. There are many industries that rely on this. BurgerKing itself did this with gold Pokemon trading cards in the past.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
I was wondering about what happened to Squirtle. A blue bun can definitely be done, but blue ingredients would be way harder. Perhaps they can just make Squirtle the drink. I'm sure it's going to get everybody asking anyway though.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
That is a food allergy lawsuit waiting to happen. Confused

Not unless they provide a proper warning ahead of time, either verbally or on the menu, listing all of the ingredients in all three burgers that could potentially cause allergies. Still,it's a pain for anyone who wants to try all three.

AnimeLordLuis wrote:
$12 US for a burger and you don't even get to pick out which one you want? I'm not spending over ten dollars for a burger if I can't even get the one I want. Rolling Eyes

That's the premium for getting something trendy and with specialized equipment (well, the branding stamps used to make the designs on the buns, at least). The packaging for this joint also gives me the impression of it being one of those eccentric places found in upscale cities.

#838774 wrote:
Probably because Nintendo are copyright nazis so odds are pretty low that this was approved.

Not even Nintendo, but The Pokémon Company, which is even stingier with copyright than Nintendo. They're the ones responsible for the Pokémon amiibos' limited use.
ragz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
in n out ripoff ripoff pokemon hehe....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2