• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inside the English Dub Premiere of Digimon Adventure Tri

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Amazing night, I have some issues with the Digimon Adv Tri movies overall but seeing it presented in a proper movie format instead of the bizzaro multi-episode split up, (why Toei/Crunchyroll thought that was a good idea is anyone's guess) heightened the experience for me when I watched it streamed and subbed.

Great to hear so many of the old cast return to their role after so many years! What an experience it must be for them I'd love to get all their thoughts on it. They must all still have fond memories of doing it to come back again after this long.

The new cast did a fine job, it will take getting used to after growing up with the originals. I really hope the remaining movies get dubbed.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I don't watch a lot of dubs, but Vic as Matt actually didn't bother me, and I honestly really thought it would. Matt has always been my favorite, and I loved Michael Reisz's portrayal, so I was really sad to see he'd been replaced. It was definitely different, but I still felt he ultimately pulled it off and did a good job.

Funny thing is, it was actually Kari (and Joe, to be fair) that never clicked for me. This especially surprised me as I was never a huge fan of her original dub voice so I was interested to see what the new casting would bring to her. The voice and image just never meshed, though. Maybe after further viewings because goodness knows I'm gonna buy this!

I personally would have loved for more of the dub's original music to have been used (moreso the instrumental tracks, not so much "Hey Digimon" lol), though I hear they have been lost to time. And, much as I love Braveheart, I would have at least appreciated if they had dubbed it - I know that doesn't always work out well, but after completely nixing Butter-fly it just seemed weird to leave it in as it was (still would have liked the old digivolving music, though, for nostalgia's sake). Don't get me wrong - I love all the Japanese themes! But this dub is really nostalgic for me as it was essentially my gateway into anime, so throwing a bit more love to the old dub fans would have been nice.

Overall, though, I had a lot of fun! I really enjoyed it, and while not fully packed, there were a good number of people in my theater, and we all had a blast. My best time at the movies in a long time!
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Quote:
As the movie finished out with a special thank-you message from Crunchyroll and a preview of the first several minutes of the third movie to come, it was a terrific night to be a Digimon fan

How in the heck did that make sense? Regardless of it being reported beforehand to let people know, by simply using nursery level counting, common sense would tell you that is a bad idea. 3 is not the next number after 1. 2 comes after 1. I don't care about the English dub(My purpose for coming here was for Part 3 being mentioned), but English dub only fans just got spoiled, and I heard there was negative feedback from that from that on different forums. Fully justified. Who the heck thought it was a good idea to give the OK on that? Japanese sub watchers and English dub watchers are not one in same. Stay in your own lane.

Besides the fact that the second movie has been out on Crunchyroll for 6 months now and movie three hits theaters in Japan next week? And the fact that the two Crunchyroll people promoting the trailer after the movie made it very clear that it was a trailer for the third movie and people had plenty of time to leave during the time the Toei Animation logo played prior to the trailer. If you made the decision to watch only the dub and then stayed for the trailer after it was apparent it was for the 3rd movie, then that's on you. Actually got into an argument with a guy outside my theater complaining about "continuity errors" due to the trailer, which is basically nonsensical.

The theater I went to in Manhattan was packed, and the crowd went crazy after every digivolution. Nostalgia everywhere! I think Mimi's antics were what got the greatest laugh from my audience.

Was a bit late to the screening (thanks subway delays), so I missed most of the intro, so I didn't have to sit through much of the poorly aped digirap, but what I did hear of it was super cringe. Glad they made the decision to keep Brave Heart for the song during digivolutions though.

Hearing Ed Elric as Matt did throw me off quite a bit, as did not hearing the usual voice for Kari, but it wasn't as much of an adjustment getting used to the English dub names and terms again after getting used to the Japanese ones in the subbed version.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wish I could have been there. I really want to hear the dub.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
So was shikishi in the article given at LA and several other screenings? Looks like someone else here didn't get anything either. So I guess it was very limited? I'd be pissed if it was something given to all theaters and several theaters either lost them, never got them, got them late, or hoarded them...

Anyway, several new screenings added throughout North America. None near me this time...

http://www.elevenarts.net/digimon-adventure-tri-chapter-1-reunion/
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely surprised at how well it was translated AND the fact that the music was kept, including spoiler[Brave Heart.]
Sleipmon4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
That's good to hear. I didn't get to see this in theatres, but I'll be picking up the bluray for sure.
85cmpersecond

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
My local theater was probably 2/3 full, with about a quarter of those being 10 year olds (and smaller) with their parents, and the others being 20-30 somethings looking for nostalgia (me).
I really really missed hearing Butter-fly personally. The original dub OP's probably been lost to time, or not licensed or something, but if they were going to stick to a dub OP, I would have preferred the nostalgia of that one.

I think the biggest cheers came when Agumon first appeared, and the best laughs usually involved Mimi. Some giggling ensued whenever any sort of situation got Matt and Tai alone though Laughing
I did appreciate the ending theme and Brave Heart being kept; if they dub the 2nd movie in a similar fashion, I guess there's hope for Seven being kept as an ED theme? It's my personal favorite next to Butter-fly.

Oh, and forgot to mention, when Izzy casually threw out a "Prodigious!", the whole audience started laughing and cheering. We were waiting for that one Razz

Asrialys wrote:
My theater had the same error message pop up FOUR times throughout the movie. It was only for a second each time, but every time it did, the movie suddenly jumped ahead a few seconds. I think the fourth time it came up, it jumped about 20 seconds. Pretty annoying...
Same here, most of the skips weren't a big deal, but we missed most of Matt & Tai's conversation in the ferris wheel because of one major skip. One second, the sky was blue and everything was fine, the next second, the sky is dark and they're running out of the cars because chaos and stuff Confused
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I went to see it in Hazlet New Jersey and I had a blast. There were about 23 other people in the theater, which I did not expect. Izzy was the best part.

I found it odd that they kept all of the Japanese music but repaced Butter-fly.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

What's more odd is that Butter-fly is listed in the English credits at the end, and not the English dub OP, I think.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

What's more odd is that Butter-fly is listed in the English credits at the end, and not the English dub OP, I think.

Nah, they listed the dub opening theme. They listed (and kept) the Japanese closing theme though. I was paying close attention for the writeup.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
85cmpersecond wrote:
Asrialys wrote:
My theater had the same error message pop up FOUR times throughout the movie. It was only for a second each time, but every time it did, the movie suddenly jumped ahead a few seconds. I think the fourth time it came up, it jumped about 20 seconds. Pretty annoying...
Same here, most of the skips weren't a big deal, but we missed most of Matt & Tai's conversation in the ferris wheel because of one major skip. One second, the sky was blue and everything was fine, the next second, the sky is dark and they're running out of the cars because chaos and stuff Confused

Yeah, Matt asked about the goggles and then suddenly the sky was dark and they had already left the ferris wheel. That was the largest skip. Someone mentioned that Fathom Events are streams, so maybe that had something to do with it.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
So was shikishi in the article given at LA and several other screenings? Looks like someone else here didn't get anything either. So I guess it was very limited? I'd be pissed if it was something given to all theaters and several theaters either lost them, never got them, got them late, or hoarded them...

Anyway, several new screenings added throughout North America. None near me this time...

http://www.elevenarts.net/digimon-adventure-tri-chapter-1-reunion/

I would assume it was either a case of "very limited theatres only got them" or "didn't arrive on time". Especially since with this rerelease, it mentions a "giveaway", which I am hoping it's a shikishi board.

From what I've seen online, not that many theatres in the states had the shikishi boards, and I was surprised to not see any pop up on ebay when I was curious and looked for them (I hadn't checked since yesterday evening). I think a decent amount of Canada showings got the boards, with a candian flag, of course.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I was in the Manhattan one too. I busted out laughing when I heard the intro but it didn't bother me, most people were swaying to the beat of the song.

And there occasionally were the annoying ones who have to video record every single moment a character says something. Cell phone brightness need to be dropped down a notch.

Other than that, I don't use Crunchyroll faithfully so I didn't know about the 3rd movie preview and there were many others so for the guy that has to say "it's your fault" I don't particularly appreciate that tone >:[

But all in all I hope the second movie dub comes out in theaters because I have no real incentive to watch the second movie in a rush,since the 3rd movie preview basically summarized the second one.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

Other than that, I don't use Crunchyroll faithfully so I didn't know about the 3rd movie preview and there were many others so for the guy that has to say "it's your fault" I don't particularly appreciate that tone >:[

I didn't know about it either, but the two people in the Crunchyroll video after the movie clearly said that they were gonna show a trailer of the 3rd movie next. I don't see how people could get all indignant about spoilers when they straight up said that minutes before showing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3