• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Summer 2017 Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

And community score never reflects the rankings? These rankings are BASED on the ANN community scores. Can I ask what YOU are talking about?

>Last episode of Re Creators scores a 4.2
>average is higher than Tsuredure Children, MHA and PriPri despite the fact that they all scored considerable higher

May want to stop pretending this system is flawless.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

And community score never reflects the rankings? These rankings are BASED on the ANN community scores. Can I ask what YOU are talking about?

>average is higher than Tsuredure Children, MHA and PriPri despite the fact that they all scored considerable higher

As stated in every weekly rating article, the ratings reflect the comparative score for the show based on how users ranked it compared to other shows. So it has nothing with the overall community score (not directly at least), which is just the average of the scores given by users. They are definitely based off of how the community rates each episode as an individual, just not the aggregate. If someone gives Re Creators a 4 star and gave MHA a 4 star, than in the system those are equals. Which is why shows with smaller fan bases or that are less popular are generally ranked higher, as there are less people comparing the show to others. So if the fanbase is small, and if each of them give a show a high rating IN COMPARISON to other shows, it will show up highly in the Best and Worst lists. Even if 10 million people rank MHA with 5 stars, but they don't rank anything else, then those 10 million votes don't count in the Best and Worst lists but will show up as a part of the community episode ranking.[/b]
Crunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Crunky wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

As stated in every weekly rating article, the ratings reflect the comparative score for the show based on how users ranked it compared to other shows. So it has nothing with the overall community score (not directly at least), which is just the average of the scores given by users. They are definitely based off of how the community rates each episode as an individual, just not the aggregate. If someone gives Re Creators a 4 star and gave MHA a 4 star, than in the system those are equals. Which is why shows with smaller fan bases or that are less popular are generally ranked higher, as there are less people comparing the show to others. So if the fanbase is small, and if each of them give a show a high rating IN COMPARISON to other shows, it will show up highly in the Best and Worst lists. Even if 10 million people rank MHA with 5 stars, but they don't rank anything else, then those 10 million votes don't count in the Best and Worst lists but will show up as a part of the community episode ranking.[/b]

That doesn't make any sense especially sense it never takes into account how many people dropped it as oppose to the people who stuck by it and rate it highly because they're fanboys which seems to have happened with MiA and last season with Tsuki which manged to beat Attack on Titan S2 despite the massive amounts of fans for the latter.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I never said the system was flawless, I just didn't understand your complaints. Speaking of which, are you just gonna ignore how you claimed Re:Creators and Sakura Quest were seldom in the top 10, when they were in fact all season?

Also, you claim that the final episodes of Tsuredure Children, MHA, and PriPri all scored considerably higher than RE: Creators. Checking right now, Re:Creators has a 4.2, PriPri ALSO has a 4.2. So either the rating changed since the last time you looked, or, you are... mistaken about things again. Tsuredure Children and MHA *do* have higher scores than Re:Creators, however, I wouldn't say "substantially" higher, at least now, and as it turns out, both of us needed to read the fine print better.

Article wrote:
The rankings are computed using the Schulze method, with the variation that unrated titles are considered as abstentions instead of lower than the rated titles. This roughly means that if, out of all people who rated both A and B, 60% preferred A, it will be ranked higher than B.

There's more detail in the article and wikipedia, but this explains why there can sometimes be discrepancies between community score and ranking. And this method actually makes sense. People have rather different rating scales and methods, so one person's "4" may be the same as another person's "4.5". Taking into account direct comparisons is a way to deal with that some.

Crunky wrote:

That doesn't make any sense especially sense it never takes into account how many people dropped it as oppose to the people who stuck by it and rate it highly because they're fanboys which seems to have happened with MiA and last season with Tsuki which manged to beat Attack on Titan S2 despite the massive amounts of fans for the latter.

Did you ever consider that maybe you just have a minority opinion about some stuff, instead of everyone disagreeing with you being because they're blind fanboys?
Crunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Crunky wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I never said the system was flawless, I just didn't understand your complaints. Speaking of which, are you just gonna ignore how you claimed Re:Creators and Sakura Quest were seldom in the top 10, when they were in fact all season?

As much as you're going to blindly trust and fail to explain this system.
Quote:

Also, you claim that the final episodes of Tsuredure Children, MHA, and PriPri all scored considerably higher than RE: Creators. Checking right now, Re:Creators has a 4.2, PriPri ALSO has a 4.2. So either the rating changed since the last time you looked, or, you are... mistaken about things again. Tsuredure Children and MHA *do* have higher scores than Re:Creators, however, I wouldn't say "substantially" higher, at least now, and as it turns out, both of us needed to read the fine print better.

Back pedal some more why don't you?

Quote:

There's more detail in the article and wikipedia, but this explains why there can sometimes be discrepancies between community score and ranking. And this method actually makes sense. People have rather different rating scales and methods, so one person's "4" may be the same as another person's "4.5". Taking into account direct comparisons is a way to deal with that some.

4.5 is higher than 4.2 last time I checked
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:

As much as you're going to blindly trust and fail to explain this system.

I don't need to explain the system, the article and wikipedia link do it.

Quote:
Back pedal some more why don't you?

I admitted I should have read the article closer.

You, on the other hand, are still ignoring your falsehood about Re:Creators/Sakura Quest and the top 10 cumulative rankings for this season.

Quote:
Quote:

4.5 is higher than 4.2 last time I checked

In subjective ratings, not always. Hence why ANN uses the method they do.

I'm just about done arguing with you. You know why the scores don't always reflect the rankings. That has been explained. You can disagree with this system if you like, feel free to give ANN feedback about it, but it's not some big mystery. ANN mentions in the article the system they use.

I can easily see skimming over that and not noticing at first, I did the same thing. But we both know now, and know better. What I cannot understand is how you could claim that Re:Creators and Sakura Quest were seldom in the top 10 for the cumulative rankings this season, when they ALWAYS WERE. That's not some simple mistake one can make from skimming over an article.

But hey, people make mistakes. But if you're just gonna refuse to admit any errors, and continue to insult anyone who disagrees with you, then I'm done.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'd put Made in Abyss in the number one spot on the strength of its soundtrack alone. Then you add in the lush visuals and the intriguing world-building . . .
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Crunky, you've been on a crusade against Abyss across at least three different threads now. I'm curious as to what it kicked out of first place that you had your heart set on being there?
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Crunky, you've been on a crusade against Abyss across at least three different threads now. I'm curious as to what it kicked out of first place that you had your heart set on being there?

Seeing as Crunky's initial comments in this thread are about how 'weak the season' was and how 'the industry is in shambles' probably nothing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
No, his initial comment was a shot fired across Abyss's bow, couched in terms of the weak season. More than 3/4 of his posts are haranguing Abyss and anyone who thinks it's good. That's a little...obsessive, so I was just wondering what was fueling his rage, or what he thinks should be in the top spot.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Made in Abyss was the best show I've seen in the last couple of years, to be honest. It was groundbreaking and original in every sense of the word. Opinions are great. Wink
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No, his initial comment was a shot fired across Abyss's bow, couched in terms of the weak season. More than 3/4 of his posts are haranguing Abyss and anyone who thinks it's good. That's a little...obsessive, so I was just wondering what was fueling his rage, or what he thinks should be in the top spot.

Wait for him to explain to you how Vatican Miracle Examiner is the best show of the season and the 'savior' of the industry.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
for the six episodes i watched before giving up, Vatican was certainly a fantastic comedy, so you could probably make that argument work
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:12 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Made in Abyss was the best show I've seen in the last couple of years, to be honest. It was groundbreaking and original in every sense of the word. Opinions are great. Wink

Made in Abyss' anime and manga can ruffle Western sensibilities,in my opinion none of which is for shock nor fanservice value(well Nanachi being furry is a plus for plushie sales).

"Opinions are great" and everyone has one, as part of the saying goes.
What constitutes having an honest difference of opinions versus that of being a -----.
Well that debate does not belong here.

ps: read the manga,joins us in the depths.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 am Reply with quote
... I don't want anime to be original and groundbreaking. That's a no win situation for everyone in trying to sustain it as output. I want it to be good, competent entertainment, where I want things to be original and groundbreaking is film where the genres are more stratified... especially compared to anime where "mechas" and "harems" are just as much genres as "comedy" and "horror" are.

So.... New Games!!, awesome anime series, exactly what I want. Made in Abyss, not what I want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3