• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: More Haruhi Suzumiya News

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurosaki_Ichigo_1000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Now that's it's been officialy licensed, I hope that it is dubbed with justice. Does anyone else think Johnny Young Bosch will be a perfect Kyon? Or how about Stephanie Sheh as Mikuru...?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
I think I'd rather have a little more diversity in the leading roles. Those two are in basically everything right now.

Actually, I'm hoping it's not an LA dub for the simple fact that their pool of talent seems to be getting spread thinner than ever these days.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

1. Will "psychics" be the term used to replace "esper" in the Haruhi dub?

I don't see why people make such a big deal out of this. It's pretty much the same thing, and "psychic" is a much more common word in English.

Quote:
3. Will Bandai assign out the dubbing to a post-production studio, like the much feared Bang Zoom! Entertainment? Or will they and Kadokawa oversee the dubbing personally?

Judging by what I see online, I don't really think Bang Zoom is "feared" that much, at least not as much as I have seen some other studios. They do competent dub work and are good at pronunciation and accuracy. While I haven't know them to be consistently great, they do have some really good dubs from time to time. They have such a huge volume of anime work, though, so they have their mediocre stuff along with the really good stuff.

Quote:
I think #2 is perhaps the most widespread question for the dub; we're in a unqiue situation in that actual actresses within the show's cast were singing the opening, ending, and middle (?) themes, not to mention how the song during the concert is integral to the plot. Frankly, I'd like to see the songs dubbed...even if people don't like 'em, they can just turn on the Japanese track to hear the original.

I agree with that. It doesn't seem likely to me, though, as it doesn't seem like something Bandai does too often.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Yeah, that's a union thing. You get kicked out of the actors union if you do un-unionized roles...but since the union has rules about the salaries voice actors should recieve, and many anime studios can't afford to pay the actors the salary they're supposed to...the actors just go by psuedonyms.

Although, recently, a few video games have just not credited actors at all...I'm not sure if that's a union thing, or something else entirely.

The issue with people not getting credited in video games is a union thing (usually meaning the game is non-union voice work).

Most of the Bandai dubs produced in the LA area for the past few years (NOT some of their older works like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star) have all been union, and I expect Haruhi will be the same. This means in Bandai stuff they do use their real names and not pseudonyms.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:

1. Will "psychics" be the term used to replace "esper" in the Haruhi dub?

I don't see why people make such a big deal out of this. It's pretty much the same thing, and "psychic" is a much more common word in English.

I agree. Esper is used in Japanese to use pretty much the same thing as "psychic" is in English- a person with supernatural abilities of the mind, such as telepathy, telekinesis, or any number of other things...
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
I agree. Esper is used in Japanese to use pretty much the same thing as "psychic" is in English- a person with supernatural abilities of the mind, such as telepathy, telekinesis, or any number of other things...

Funny how back in the FFVI days people were complaining of the use of the term "Esper" (as opposed to Phantom Beast), and now people are complaining that the term used might not be "Esper".

My main concern though is Episode 12 with the rock concert. I do hope they dub it. It would be kind of stupid otherwise.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote
With all this talk about dubbing studios, I personally hope nobody starts whining or complaining if they bring in somebody like:

Ocean (you know them, you love them)
Voicebox
Studiopolis
Phuuz
Plastic Cow
Elastic Media
Howling Cat

Who knows, maybe they'll hire Salami Studios (The Prince of Tennis), or maybe even PCB productions (MAR),

In any case, Bandai and Kadokawa could still oversee the dub even if it's contracted to an outside company. Still, after the way Cake Mix/Knickers Media handled Idaten (EE-duh-ten) Jump, I am kinda hoping they don't get involved...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:51 pm Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
In any case, Bandai and Kadokawa could still oversee the dub even if it's contracted to an outside company.

Oh, in that manner yes, I'm sure they will oversee the dub. Bandai most likely will be involved in casting along with the ADR director, and they will likely "oversee" the ongoing dub, stepping in if/when they feel something should be different. That's part of a producer's job (I don't know who the producer at Bandai will be.

-t
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
soopykun wrote:
.hack//sign - people sounded too angsty

But .hack//SIGN was angsty.

Quote:
they managed to make me watch adult swim only for the gits:sac dub; i'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for a really great adr and casting directors.

I love the gitsack dub, in fact I've not yet ever listened to the Japanese track.

Quote:
this is just a general question...but how do you guys feel about crispin freeman, and how would you feel if he got cast in (or directed the dub for) haruhi?

Crispin is one, if not my favourite, male VAs so I would love him to be in it and he already shares at least one role with Tomokazu Sugita (saying that, I do prefer his 'darker' roles like Arucard, Alex Rowe, Amon, etc.)
I think my favourite female VA from that region is currently Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, but I can't match her voice to either of the female leads as I think she's more suited to adult roles. Other voices I like are the Digimon/Tachkoma croud (Ruby Marlowe, Lara Jill Miller etc.) but I've not put anhy thought as to who could do who.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:

And to address an earlier question, 'psychic' is basically the English word for the Japanese 'esper'. Consider the roots - a 'psychic' is a person gifted in the 'psyche' (mind), and an 'esper' is someone gifted with ESP - pretty much the same thing. If you aren't convinced, go through the series and mentally substitute 'psychic' for 'esper' every time it comes up, and see if it leads to any confusion.

The problem isn't with the word "psychic" itself, but the accompanying "slider" terminology; frankly, "esper" and "slider" are both foreign-sounding geek-circle terms, which adds a bit of flavour to their use given they are being applied by Haruhi; additionally, looking at Itsuki's powers, he's not really doing stuff we would associate with psychics.

I'm fine with the term, provided "slider" be substituted for something like "dimensional shifter", but otherwise the two terms seem rather like "peas in a pod".

penguintruth wrote:

I was under the impression that Animaze and Bang Zoom! share some of their voice talent, judging by my discerning ear for voices in dubs. I've heard a lot of carry-overs from one to another, studio-wise. Either they're reaching into the same pool or this is a case of misunderstanding of the credits.

It's not a subject of acting pool, but of casting; an individual in the first Haruhi topic mentioned that Ai Yori Aoshi had a premiere cast yet was a terrible dub simply because the actors were not befitting of their roles and tried to imitate their Japanese counterparts far too much.

On an additional note, I'd rather not have well-known VA's snag spots in the Haruhi dub outside of minor character roles, like Keiichi. There's a certain magic to the original by hearing such amazing and distinctive actors/actresses step out of nowhere and give an excellent performance. Hopefully, Kadokawa and Bandai will attempt something simmilar with this dub; an unknown cast that can pull off a superb performance will preserve the enthralling atmosphere of the show.

Last edited by Malintex Terek on Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Funny how back in the FFVI days people were complaining of the use of the term "Esper" (as opposed to Phantom Beast), and now people are complaining that the term used might not be "Esper".

My main concern though is Episode 12 with the rock concert. I do hope they dub it. It would be kind of stupid otherwise.

Haha yeah, people always find something to complain about, huh?

As for the concert, I do hope that when they do the casting for the dub they take this into account, and find an actor who is a good and capable of singer. Even if it does end up sounding like a completely different voice, I think that ensuring a quality performance is especially more important in this case than simply sounding similar to the Japanese.

Though I do wonder whether they'll translate the lyrics- I mean, with a good singer they could potentially just sing the Japanese lyrics, rather than attempt to struggle to adapt the lyrics to perfectly match the rhythms of the song. Though granted, it can be done, but I'd hope that if they do translate it, they do so well.
soopykun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Though I do wonder whether they'll translate the lyrics- I mean, with a good singer they could potentially just sing the Japanese lyrics, rather than attempt to struggle to adapt the lyrics to perfectly match the rhythms of the song. Though granted, it can be done, but I'd hope that if they do translate it, they do so well.

Song translation is always hard...but it just wouldn't make sense to switch to Japanese in the middle of the episode. Media Blasters and Funimation were able to really great song translation jobs on Rurouni Kenshin and Kiddy Grade; it even took me a second to register that the singing was in English.

Quote:
But .hack//SIGN was angsty.

As for .hack//SIGN, it was the first series whose dub really turned me off from the series. Tsukasa was full of angst, but I would have preferred the VA (or script) to convey more emotions. What I'm worried about is Haruhi's VA coming off pushy for the length of the entire series (because she does change, and she does express more emotions.)

In the end, I'm going to consider the dub more like an extra on the DVD. I'll let translation errors slip by because translations are never perfect, and you always have to make sacrifices. The only thing I won't stand for are dubtitles, I don't think there is any good excuse to throw out a literal translation on a dual-audio release. I don't even bother to turn on the dubtitles for my Ghibli DVD's...I just piece together what little Japanese I know.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
Did I mention I love this marketing campaign? Kadokawa has put up audition clips for Mikuru and added a poll to boot; while I'm doubtful that the poll will actually have an influence on which actress (or tone; it all sounds like one or two actresses with different pitches to me) will be selected to play the role, to narrow the casting decision to just these four is quite impressive.
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
Actually there's quite a lot of differences betwen the actresses in the clips, if you listen for it. Some sound more adult or more childish in voice, and there's distinctly different portrayals of the character... though yeah, probably not going to actually dictate who gets the role, but probably will provide potentially useful information on fans' preferences and attitude towards the characters....
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote
Actually they all sound like the same voice actress to me (Stephanie Sheh?), just changing her voice/tone up a bit.

With all the screaming & "I don't want too"s, it sounded more like a hentai audition to tell the truth. -_-;;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5