• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Macross Delta: Gekijō no Walkūre

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:

2 things in my book.

1) The storytelling and characterization in the second half of the story are a mess. You jump from random occurrence to random occurrence and at the end it just copies Frontier all over again.

2) the antagonists are really cheesy and annoying, obviously there to please a certain demographic, but without any consequence. Other Macross installments had more serious antagonists that really scared you (Vajra, Zentradi, Marduk). The knights are just so...flat.
Isn't that pretty much the same problem a lot of fans had with Macross Frontier?
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Marzan wrote:

2 things in my book.

1) The storytelling and characterization in the second half of the story are a mess. You jump from random occurrence to random occurrence and at the end it just copies Frontier all over again.

2) the antagonists are really cheesy and annoying, obviously there to please a certain demographic, but without any consequence. Other Macross installments had more serious antagonists that really scared you (Vajra, Zentradi, Marduk). The knights are just so...flat.
Isn't that pretty much the same problem a lot of fans had with Macross Frontier?

Not really. The Vajra were for the most part pretty effective antagonists (until we find out that they’re not really bad). Scary and effective. The fights between them and SMS were a lot more interesting and gripping.
I think the storytelling in Frontier despite ups and downs, is monumentally better than that in Delta.
I find that most critics of Frontier stem from those that disliked Sheryl’s character and were miffed that ‘their girl’ lost and equated that with bad storytelling.
If I have one positive thing to say about Delta is that it was mercifully free from shipping wars. By making Mirage supporting cast, they very early on made it clear that it was Freyja all the time and that avoided any nasty debates between the viewers.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Macross franchise but I haven't seen much of Delta yet so I'm out of the loop on the fandom consensus, but why has Delta gotten so much criticism anyway (spoiler free please)?

its kind of simple really. its more or less inferior compared to Frontier so no one outside of japan was expecting much since its a direct sequel and we all know sequels to very popular mecha series don't pan out very well (looking at you 00 & IBO)

Quote:
Like all Macross properties, Macross Delta occupies an awkward position in the West. The Macross Delta TV series never got a release in English-speaking regions, and there are no prospects of an English release for this compilation film either. But Macross is also a cultural landmark in Japan, and now's as good a time as any to comment on the latest iteration of the franchise.

and who do we have to blame for that? those accursed vipers from harmony gold whose not even in business anymore which doesn't even make sense at all.

their shady tactics is pretty much the same bread and butter than 4kids/4k media did for YGO! and its why some of the license holders like tatsunoko productions are at times scared to release some of their titles completely to the US! the last thing they want is another macross debacle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Technically speaking all Macross spin-offs are direct sequels to the Original SDF Macross TV series. Even Macross Dumpsterfire (sorry too easy to pass up).
Even I will admit that I didn't like Frontier either at first, and it too can be nitpicked apart. However this latest spinoff seemed like it was trying to be something else other then Macross, if Kawamori want's to do something new then that's fine.. just don't slap Macross on it.

I even sat through Macross 7! but even Macross 7 redeemed itself at one point.. though I thought that point was never going to happen but it did!
Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2