• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Licenses Maria Watches Over Us, Hataraki Man, Basquash!, Yumeiro Pâtissière, Voto

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, some very nice surprises! If this VOTOMs release is better, I may just be double dipping (really, who releases a double-sided disc with just previews on the other side? What did that accomplish?)

And Basquash, that was rather unexpected! I never did finish the series, but it was pretty fun (though I know some things got fixed for home release in Japan).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
So, I guess that red-tape backlog broke just a bit with Sunrise…just a bit…

Great news about Maria-sama! I was really impressed by it when I marathoned through it prior to the previous license expiration. I thought it wouldn't be on the shelf for long and that it was a natural for a English dub, but I didn't think either would come this quickly (though the latter's not finalize).
I wouldn't say the backlog's broken; they've managed to license or rescue previously unannounced Sunrise titles, but there's still no progress on the 2013 batch, other than Big O.

Nice to see MariMite return after such a short hiatus, especially after the rumors that the novel author wasn't in favor of the franchise getting overseas releases. Blu-Ray would be nice, but I'm not sure how well an English dub would go over. It'll be like Raildex all over again with the "no good way to translate 'Onee-sama'" controversies, and the franchise's appeal is pretty niche overall. Either it successfully sells you on its closed-off, Everything Is Serious Business girls-school world right out of the gate, or it doesn't. It's shoujo-ai without any fanservice for the straight-male crowd, and I feel like the LGBTQ community could rightly criticize it for featuring spoiler[the Schoolgirl Lesbians trope as "practice romance" for later relationships with men, in several cases.] And on a technical level, it's got "old art styles" from the mid-00s and the oft-reviled Studio DEEN, and the first two seasons are 4:3. In short, MariMite fit the image of a sub-only/boutique Rightstuf/Nozomi title quite well. If MJ wants to dub it, more power to them, but I hope they don't wind up losing money.

Megiddo wrote:
I'm stupefied. Human Crossing got re-licensed? Is that a joke? I picked up the series many years after Genon went the way of the dodo from Rightstuf for I think $2 per single DVD. I've never heard much of any talk about it. It's just so ubiquitously not anime (or at least how anime is generally perceived) that I'm not surprised the singles were sitting in the $2 bargain bin even years after the series went out of print. It's not a bad series, the episodes are hit-and-miss for me, but I have no idea why Maiden Japan would decide to bring over that dead Geneon series (and not say Koi Kaze which is much more popular and well-known in anime fandom)
Yeah, I'm fairly sure this was one of Geneon's many sales bombs -- the 4 singles and the "Obvious Retail-Returns Brick" collection are still selling at extremely reasonable prices on Amazon. I got it in one of the 07-08 RS liquidation sales, and I'd say it was good enough to merit its Buried Treasure entry... but I can easily believe dragonrider_cody's licensing-bundle explanation.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:59 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:

I doubt Maiden Japan would get them considering how popular they are. I suppose Funimation will do the first two and Violet Evergarden, and why the hell am I thinking Discotek Media of all people could get Little Witch Academia? Just my thoughts.

I understand. I was speaking in a more general sense, but looking back at my comment I can see that I came off as wanting Maiden Japan to license those shows. This is my first time learning of Maiden Japan by the way so I am not too familiar with them. Do they tend to focus on more obscure shows?

As for your guesses I can see Funimation getting those shows, but Discoteck getting Little Witch Academia is something I never thought of given it seems that they focus more on older anime. I guess there is something about LWA that would seem like a perfect fit for Discoteck. Well we'll wait and see. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
katscradle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 pm Reply with quote
corinthian wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Quote:
The panelists noted that there are talks for an English dub.

Holy (HONK), if that happens, I’ll GLADLY double dip for Maria Sama Ga Miteru!

Same! It would be my first double dip ever, and I would fork that money over gladly.

Another here! Absolutely would rebuy if MariMite has an English dub. (It would not be the easiest title to do so with but, I have faith it could be made to work.)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I might be wrong but I think MariMite had 1 of those Animax dubs.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
*sings the Xabungle theme song*

Me on the way to work. Or on the way home.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Good to have, Votoms, the actual best "real robot" anime available in Blu-ray with a side of having a genuinely good Tomino mecha series being released as well. (He should have done more things like Xabungle and less like Zeta Gundam.)
The Bandsaw Vigilante

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
(He should have done more things like Xabungle and less like Zeta Gundam.)

What
Set1229

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
After watching parts of Toriko, I think I'll eat Yumeiro right up!

Gotta dish out those sweet and corny buns, you roe?
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Aquasakura"]
loveliver wrote:

. This is my first time learning of Maiden Japan by the way so I am not too familiar with them. Do they tend to focus on more obscure shows?

Maiden Japan is basically one of Section 23's (read: Sentai Filmworks) numerous marketing imprints. There's no exact method to what they do or don't put under that label, but it's generally shows that have been out-of-print or totally unlicensed for ages. IIRC one of their first titles under Maiden Japan was Den-noh Coil
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:47 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Maiden Japan is basically one of Section 23's (read: Sentai Filmworks) numerous marketing imprints. There's no exact method to what they do or don't put under that label, but it's generally shows that have been out-of-print or totally unlicensed for ages. IIRC one of their first titles under Maiden Japan was Den-noh Coil

Almost, but not quite. Maiden Japan has been around for longer than the Den-noh Coil release; in fact, one of the company's earliest releases was Papillon Rose back in 2010. Wouldn't blame anyone for remembering this, though.

Second, to help elaborate, MJ is pretty much Matt Greenfield's part of the Section23 umbrella, as indicated by the fact that he's the Executive Producer on all of MJ's releases, while Sentai is John Ledford's; Kraken Releasing is also Greenfield's baby. At first, i.e. the first 4 or 5 years of the company's existence, MJ would only release something every once in a blue moon, and they all featured women in a lead role, like Black Magic M-66, Patlabor, Glass Maiden, Ray the Animation, etc. (Get it? Maiden? Also, Made-in-Japan?). Ever since 2015 or so, though, MJ has opened up to being more of a general release company, focusing more on releasing all sorts of old, forgotten, & previously skipped over anime, regardless of what gender the lead character is, and putting out more releases in general.

Essentially, Sentai Filmworks has more or less become the company focused on the new & recent, with the occasional older release, while Maiden Japan is all about putting out license rescues & other miscellaneous titles from the past.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
VOTOMS is a surprise, but certainly a good one. I wonder if we might finally get the many OVAs? Some of VOTOMS' very best stuff is in those. Also, didn't Tim Eldred work on some kind of special features for the old ammo box era releases? Hopefully we get those too?

To potentially answer my own question here, I have been seeing apparent photos from the panel where a big old list of the OVAs is shown, so it seems that might really be happening, but I'll want to see a more official confirmation.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I might be wrong but I think MariMite had 1 of those Animax dubs.

You are correct. Dub only lasted for the first three seasons, though. And if the CCS Animax dub is any indication it was probably mixed in mono, so I doubt Maiden Japan will use it. Been so long since I watched Marimite on Animax that I forget how they handled translating "oneesama" (probably just name substitution). I do recall them translating "gokigenyou" as "good day to you" to match the lip flaps and convey the sense of formality.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The mech shows from the 1980s sound interesting.
If they get later volumes of Votoms, I might bite. I have the lunchbox from CPM...

Maria Watches Over Us? Uh, no. I didn't get it from Nozomi/RS, I won't be getting it from MJ!

<SIGH> I'd be more interested in seeing Giant Robo (OVAs) and the original Gunbuster license-rescued. A lot of what MJ has now just doesn't interest me or they're shows I already have on DVD that I have no plans to upgrade to Blu ray!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Maria Watches Over Us? Uh, no. I didn't get it from Nozomi/RS, I won't be getting it from MJ!

Why?, if you don't mind me asking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3