• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: W'z

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I can handle all the criticism and nitpicks of the plot and art and stuff, but this is just crossing a line.
Quote:
I also hope you enjoy W'z's background music, because you'll be hearing the same three loud repetitive tracks over and over and over again.

I do enjoy W'z's background music - it's the reason I'm watching it despite it being a sequel to a show I haven't seen, after all - but calling it "loud" when its genre is more lo-fi hip-hop than heavy metal, and "repetitive" when there's twenty-freaking-seven artists working on the soundtrack, is just libel. It sounds like you're trying to be a jerk to this show for the sake of it by attacking every single inch of its being.

I know he's got enough on his plate, and I know that more people want to see you review it than anyone else, but I gotta be honest, I wish Theron was reviewing this. At least he'd give this a fair (hand) shake like he did in the preview guide.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

I do enjoy W'z's background music - it's the reason I'm watching it despite it being a sequel to a show I haven't seen, after all - but calling it "loud" when its genre is more lo-fi hip-hop than heavy metal, and "repetitive" when there's twenty-freaking-seven artists working on the soundtrack, is just libel. It sounds like you're trying to be a jerk to this show for the sake of it by attacking every single inch of its being.

When I said "loud", I literally meant that the music is mixed way too loud - it's distracting, and it makes it harder to pay attention to the dialogue than it already would be.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
When I said "loud", I literally meant that the music is mixed way too loud - it's distracting, and it makes it harder to pay attention to the dialogue than it already would be.

Oh. Well, seeing how I'm here for music first, plot second, that don't bother me none. Smile
S0crates

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I think I've never seen a score this low. Not seen it myself, just wanted to point that out. xD
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
I think I've never seen a score this low. Not seen it myself, just wanted to point that out. xD

Its predecessor got there or a little lower a couple times. I believe the Jiraya’s Ninja Scrolls arc of Shippuden has the lowest score on this site, with one episode hitting 1.2 stars (and several more below two stars).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
It's almost impressive how GoHands has failed to hit the mark with every conceivable aspect of this series; plot, character, setting, camera work, technical artistry, music. I can't speak to the voice acting but I doubt it's anything less than passable or else it would've been worth mentioning.

I'm enjoying these hate-reviews but at the same time, I wish better for the studio in the future, as I genuinely like K Project and enjoyed it far, far more than this trainwreck.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I gotta ask, who is this fanservice even for?

Question I had since they withdrew their statement saying the target audience was for females. At this point I don`t think Frontier Works or GoHands knows. I think they are like "someone will buy this". I gotta admit I`m enjoying this a margin bit better than hand shakers. Then again that fight scene was the best part of the episode. However I think if GoRa was writing this, things would be different. Even though K was boring with that last season, it was stylistically miles better.

....Speaking of GoRa, what`s they been up to? They`ve been quiet since K ended.
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hand Shakers Cinematic Universe

Six seasons and a movie!
steelmirror

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
James, I appreciate that you post screenshots so that I can continue to enjoy the wonderful visuals that Hand ShakerW'z gives us each week. I also appreciate that you don't link to gifs because I'm all out of Dramamine.

I am sincerely interested in how this show was made, and who the audience is for all the callbacks to last season. My top money would go on the "dilettante with a rich daddy" theory, who is calling back to season 1 because they loved making it so much, but I'd be pleased as punch to find out there is a secret rabid fanbase for this in Japan or something. It's just so fascinating, in an Ed Wood kind of way.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
stuck in the background,

Well that background looked like an uncomfortable cross between those CG room they use to sell building that haven't being completed and an IKEA catalogue. And why is the room this gigantic compared to the furniture?
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll never forget Professor Makihara because I started eating ShuMai because of him and I really like it! Maybe one day from 501Horai...(product placement works BTW)
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I see that your level of caring for this show is so low, you accidentally listed today's review as episode 8 instead of episode 7.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the story has yet to justify its own existence

"Vehicle for Ryohei's first single" is justification enough.

I mean, look at him. <3<3<3<3

(.... he plays my favorite character in my favorite show so like... yeah... I'm not even watching W'z, though, I'm actually not watching any anime at the moment, and the only current one I'd want to check out is Boogiepop...)

Quote:
And why is the room this gigantic compared to the furniture?

.... to give you traumatic flashbacks to the mess they made of the LSW adaptation in K7S.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:58 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
I almost had to rewind when they referred to Masaru and Riri as newlyweds (despite being siblings). Also, did they suggest that Masaru was adopted or did I misinterpret that?

Yeah, they snuck that in there to try and make the relationship less creepy, I guess?

There was a scene at the end of one of the episodes where they briefly showed adoption papers for the brother. Crunchyroll didn't translate it, though, so people who don't know Japanese never noticed. They're not related by blood.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For years, the Hand Shakers franchise has been working overtime to reduce me to my basest instincts and rob me of my dignity as a critic.

There we go, here's your Bluray box quote.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3