• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Rosario + Vampire Dub VA Jamie Marchi Alleges Mignogna Grabbed, Pulled Her Hair

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:

stuffb wrote:

Personally, I think it's newsworthy if the cast and staff of anime are making public statements related to news in the anime community. If there was a public announcement about a marriage, a job, or a tragedy, it would probably be reported on ANN.

And the thing is, ANN already do it - we occasionally get articles about "JPN voice actor/actress/manga-ka in trouble for [insert bad/tabloid/taboo event and or situation here]", along with wedding/baby announcements and deaths. I don't exactly get why some people are surprised or shocked that ANN is reporting an article like that now. Is it because it's about Vic specifically? He's not the first US VA that's had a report on this site for doing something bad.

True, but its funny (more odd) that they don't really report much on English VAs unless they pass or did something bad. Brina Palencia had a baby, Jad Saxton got engaged, J. Michael Tatum got engaged to Brandon McInnis, Lindsay Seidel recently celebrated being cancer free for ten years, etc. but it's never reported on here. I guess because most of this information is readily available if you follow them on social media.
DirtyCircle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:

...In a way, it is still anime news because it involves someone/people who voice [popular] anime characters. Just because it's a specific topic you don't like or want to hear about it, doesn't mean it's not anime news (in this situation).

There is no "in a way", this is topical to the site and Derpinat0rz's assertion that it's not couldn't be more wrong. As long as I have been visiting the site, ANN hasn't been exclusive to JUST animated cartoons. How many articles in plain site are about video games and manga? Oops, better scrub all that then. It is blatantly what they don't want to hear and just trying to minimize it.

I love Jamie and I appreciate those within the industry, like her or Monica Rial, who are speaking out. On the Fb post, there is a lot of whining that nobody apparently should say anything public without a criminal conviction but that's crazy. People deserve to know because like Jamie says, a conviction or jail time is not a certainty and people ought to be aware for their own safety.

Last edited by DirtyCircle on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm only going to say this once:

The photos currently in the Vic article are not doctored. They were given to me by the individuals who claim they DID NOT consent to being kissed.

Two previous photos used to illustrate how common said affection was from Vic were also used in the fan club section. A later edit added captions to clarify this to those photos. ONE subject from those photos requested it be removed. I removed both fan club photos.

All of these edits are public on the article itself by checking the change log link so you can verify it yourself as well on ANN.

Various incorrect versions of the above situation are being spread rampantly on social media. Please take the time to read and verify this yourself if you're interested in the truth of how that particular situation took place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
ranran-001 wrote:
People trying to defend Vic can't fall back on the "only faceless allegations" at this point. Jamie Marchi is a person with voice acting experience, and if she was sexually harassed by Vic then this is starting to look more serious than a few hugs or kisses on the cheek.

Are people not allowed to defend accusations?

Unless you were personally present and witnessed the event, and have useful information to offer, then it's not possible for you to defend Vic Mignogna against accusations. So, if you were in fact present and do in fact have an alternate version of a specific event - then feel free to share.

Anything less that than isn't "defending" anyone. It's a mix of victim blaming, victim shaming, conspiracy theories, or outright bovine exhaust.
xchampion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I believe most of the acusations against Vic and once again all the stories are misdemeanor level if at all criminal. No one is going to jail for any of this crap. <snip> There are many people on Twitter comparing the guy to the Kevin Spacey, Harvey Weinstein, and the Bill Cosby's of the world. These people actually drugged, tried and raped people. These Vic Mignogna acusations are not even close. This is why I support the guy. He's made an apology for the uncomfortable interactions with fans. He maybe a Diva in the recording booth, but many actors have certain amount of ego. Some are just bigger than others. The current con cancellations are fair, but he shouldnt lose his career and be black balled because of it.

[Edit]: removed sarcasm directed at victims. Errinundra.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Does no one understand that assault victims have nothing to gain aside from peace of mind? They’re not getting paid. Vic being booted from the industry won’t further their own careers or personal lives. How many times does It have to be repeated that they really only have everything to lose?

No one wants to be known as an assault victim.

No one wants to be the person that totally disrupts their workplace.

The only goal anyone wants in this sort of situation is to remove a potential predator from the platform that allows them to harm people. Taking their power away.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna steer clear of commenting on the #KickVic vs. #IStandWithVic debate for obvious reasons, and instead focus on something that's arguably just as important.
Levonr wrote:
lycopene wrote:
Really? You choose a show thats over 10 years old, and a role thats barely even in the show for your headline?

Yeah that was random, they probably just made a guess and don't know about her roles which isn't surprising from ANN. Like wouldn't Rias from High School DxD make more sense? She's probably most known for that role.

Exactly. Rias is a way more prominent role for Marchi than Ms. Nekonome.

I swear, this sort of thing has been happening all the time recently and I'm kinda getting sick of it. Especially when they credit shows to a studio when the only work they've done on said show was in-between animation for a single episode. (An exaggeration, but my point still stands.) An example: remember back when Noboru Ishiguro passed away and the author of the article announcing said passing claimed Artland animated My-HiME and Penguindrum, when all they did was outsourcing for a couple of episodes of the former and just one of the latter? Granted, I pointed out some series that Artland actually did animation production for that they could use to replace those two (in as polite a manner as I could, 'cause y'know, you don't wanna seem like a jerk in a thread full of R.I.Ps) - and they actually amended it with my suggestions! - but still, I wish changes like that were more common, because misinformation in regards to what studios produced what shows is the last thing Anime News Network should be doing.
Larryg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
FMAvatard wrote:
Does no one understand that assault victims have nothing to gain aside from peace of mind? They’re not getting paid. Vic being booted from the industry won’t further their own careers or personal lives. How many times does It have to be repeated that they really only have everything to lose?

No one wants to be known as an assault victim.

No one wants to be the person that totally disrupts their workplace.

The only goal anyone wants in this sort of situation is to remove a potential predator from the platform that allows them to harm people. Taking their power away.

So then why do people lie about being raped? What did they have to gain from ruining another person's life by having them sent to prison for years?
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Pulled hair and rude comments.

If people think this is a valid reason to destroy someone's livelihood over, then I just don't know what to say.

This is a grade school playground level of 'offense,' if you can call it that.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Pulled hair and rude comments.

If people think this is a valid reason to destroy someone's livelihood over, then I just don't know what to say.

This is a grade school playground level of 'offense,' if you can call it that.

"Pulled hair and rude comments" seems like a serious attempt to trivialize what Marchi described. One grown adult grabbing another grown adult's hair in a fist, jerking their head back, and making sexual comments to them is definitively assault, and is absolutely worth Mignogna losing work over.

I was on board with not really getting why people were apoplectic over him vaguely making his fans uncomfortable, but the Marchi and Pridemore allegations do not describe ambiguous behavior.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
More posts deleted. Victim blaming isn't the way to go about things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I really, sincerely hope that some of the people posting in here never have something like this happen to someone they care about. The lack of awareness being displayed is ****ing disgusting.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
And don't bother posting just to parrot someone else here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I commend Jamie for coming forward. She and so many others deserve better
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
To all the people defending Vic, try to consider THIS before you do so:

https://twitter.com/vicmignogna/status/1094013989653237762

That's right. The person you're trying to defend by instead attacking others, is instead defending those other people from people like you. And let's be honest - any sane person would agree with him in this instance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10