• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Film Wins Oscar Over Mirai

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Sure, it would have been amazing that an anime won but Spider-Verse deserved it more than all of them this year so congratz for not being shitty for once Oscars.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
1. Into the Spider-Verse was actually an amazing movie that deserves awards.

2. Nobody takes the Oscars seriously anyway, and anyone who does isn't really someone whose opinion I value.

I agree about the Oscars. THey're irrelevant for most people.
Awards shows are popularity contests... What really drives people away is the ego on display of a roomful of very immodest people and the length of these things. Very few people enjoy sitting through 3 hours of TV like that! Most people in the entertainment industry hate these shows, too, but it's endured for the producers' sake and the guys who PAY for the awards. The Oscars are a huge scam.

As for the Spider-Man animated film, I wouldn't even go see it. Just seeing that trailer makes me physical ill. It's very jerky animation as if it were shaky-cammed for the whole film. I don't like it in live-action, the fact that they use it for an animated film doesn't make sense, either.
I don't agree with the artistic choices made there and Sony and Marvel have given me very good reasons to be skeptical about some of their films lately.
If they don't check their arrogance and learn something about their audience, the tide will turn against the MCU this year...
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:22 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

2. Nobody takes the Oscars seriously anyway, and anyone who does isn't really someone whose opinion I value.

Awards shows are popularity contests... What really drives people away is the ego on display of a roomful of very immodest people and the length of these things. Very few people enjoy sitting through 3 hours of TV like that! Most people in the entertainment industry hate these shows, too, but it's endured for the producers' sake and the guys who PAY for the awards. The Oscars are a huge scam.

As for the Spider-Man animated film, I wouldn't even go see it. Just seeing that trailer makes me physical ill. It's very jerky animation as if it were shaky-cammed for the whole film. I don't like it in live-action, the fact that they use it for an animated film doesn't make sense, either.
I don't agree with the artistic choices made there and Sony and Marvel have given me very good reasons to be skeptical about some of their films lately.
If they don't check their arrogance and learn something about their audience, the tide will turn against the MCU this year...

I’m not really sure what you implying Marvel has to learn. Arrogance what, they are just doing things as normal, nothing wrong.
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:27 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
American bias against anime is nothing new.

No American bias in this case. I watched every movie nominated, and Spider-Verse was easily the best and most memorable. At least, that's my opinion.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

The choppy animation:
a) was a deliberate artistic choice, which worked out very well in my opinion
b) was one of many extremely innovative animation techniques throughout the film
c) has an equivalent or higher framerate than most anime

I'm totally burned out on superheroes, but Spider-Verse was a delight and one of the best movies of the year. I'm thrilled it won.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
El Hermano wrote:

It's not bias if an anime film loses to a more widely critically-acclaimed movie. Hell, even ANN's own public rankings for Mirai, while good, are hardly elite-class.

I don't really care, personally, having seen neither of these movies, but given that the title of this article is "Into the Spider-Verse Film Wins Oscar Over Mirai," ANN itself appears to be inviting people to get into this argument. No one with much experience with the Oscars would have expected Mirai to win, regardless of whether it deserved to, so I'm not sure why else that would be in the title, unless it's just to curb the inevitable "but what does this have to do with anime???" comments.

The general public seems to be happy with this choice, at least, and that's about the best we can hope for from the animation category. (Unlike the Best Picture winner, which seems to have launched the internet into a frenzy.) I was kind of expecting Isle of Dogs to win (though I haven't seen that one either) because of the weird artsy niche Wes Anderson factor.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

I think you should give it a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's good and led by good characters and story and not any social politics if that's what you're worried about.

The animation is low framerate compared to most CG flicks and is done deliberately to imitate hand-drawn 2-D animation for which there are actually lots of 2-D animation mixed in. So if anything, it is actually being more appreciative of the craft of traditional animation and artistry.

There's a little featurette on this here if you're interested.
https://youtu.be/vDjvhwgbsP8

More in-depth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N21oG99eF3A
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'm less disappointed Mirai lost than I am that Maquia was snubbed by all the award shows this year, even the Crunchyroll awards. But Spideverse definitely deserved this win.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:18 am Reply with quote
I didn't see Mirai but I feel like Into the Spider-verse was really over hyped. I hate to be that person but I was more interested in Peter Parker's story than Miles's and I am basically disappointed that they didn't model Miles off of the real life inspiration Donald Glover.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:19 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Mirai, but it wasn't amazing and I wouldn't have expected it to be the winner here.
I haven't seen Spider Verse yet (waiting for the digital release (this week I believe)), but I've only heard extremely positive buzz from those who have seen it.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
El Hermano wrote:

It's not bias if an anime film loses to a more widely critically-acclaimed movie. Hell, even ANN's own public rankings for Mirai, while good, are hardly elite-class.

So yeah, let's not go that route this time, okay? 'Cause it saps credibility from cases where the anime film is legitimately more worthy.

It's not "bias" anyway. The Oscars are a self promotion event for the North American film industry, the people who vote for the Oscars are all employees of that industry. Obviously that movies made by then will win. I find it puzzling that fans of Japanese animation still have some hope that these employees from this North American industry, whick does not regard animation as a serious artistic medium and as result does not produce any serious animation, are going to vote for some animation made in a foreign culture that operates under very different sensibilities.

Comparing a film like In this Corner of the World with the animated stuff Hollywood puts out is like comparing Beethoveen with Britney Spears. Anime fans reactions would be like classical music fans upset that some orchestra perfomance did not win the Grammy's. In both cases the difference in understanding of what the medium is is enormous.

I am not saying that anime is "better" than Hollywood's CGI children's movies, I am saying that expecting employees of an industry that thinks animation is synonymous to CGI children's movies are going to carefully appraise auteur animated films is by itself nonsensical.

Anime fans should stop paying attention to this kind of prize. ANN should only report the Oscar for animated film if an anime film wins, otherwise there is no point: there exists hundreds of animation prizes given around the world, why this obsession with Hollywood's prize? I guess this obsession comes from the fact that North American fans of Japanese animation feel this ardent desire for the medium to be recognized by the North American film industry, an industry that does not even produce any films that compete with the Japanese animation that anime fans like (obviously, the children who watch Disney's movies and the people who watch Gakudolls are not the same public, I should also point out that Japan also produces it's fair share of children's CGI animated movies, which anime fans never talk about).

By the way, China produces about 5 times more CGI children's movies than the US or Japan does. Why the ANN does not report when an anime film loses to a CGI children's movie at some random Chinese award's prize? It's basically the same thing.

Last edited by Jose Cruz on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:05 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Anime fans should stop paying attention to this kind of prize. ANN should only report the Oscar for animated film if an anime film wins, otherwise there is no point: there exists hundreds of animation prizes given around the world, why this obsession with Hollywood's price?
ANN reports on all sorts of award ceremonies, including ones in Japan. I'm not sure why you should expect ANN to stop reporting the news just because it's not a result you want.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:

Anime fans should stop paying attention to this kind of prize. ANN should only report the Oscar for animated film if an anime film wins, otherwise there is no point: there exists hundreds of animation prizes given around the world, why this obsession with Hollywood's price?
ANN reports on all sorts of award ceremonies, including ones in Japan. I'm not sure why you should expect ANN to stop reporting the news just because it's not a result you want.

I never said it was the result I wanted. I personally do not care at all about the Oscars, I just find it curious that North American anime fans are so obssessed with it. You should not assume things about other people, it is rude

Also, ANN does not report the vast majority of animation prizes given around the world.

I guess the Oscar's is a kind of a sacred cow to Americans. Being Brazilian I always find it puzzling why Americans are so obsessed with it, even American anime fans are obsessed with the Oscars. It is weird because anime fans watch anime because it is something that does not EXIST in Hollywood, hence, it is something that does not exist inside the minds that award the Oscars. That is like classical music fans obsessing about the Grammy's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
I hated Spider-verse, Mirai was just ok. I feel like the best Anime movies of the year were either ignored, didn’t get Nominated or not having a qualifying run in theaters to be eligible. Isle Of Dogs was good though.
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:53 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Also, ANN does not report the vast majority of animation prizes given around the world.

We do try to report on any animation awards that feature an anime as a nominee or winner, anywhere in the world. Often a lot of those fall outside our radar because the information isn't in English or Japanese. If you think that we've missed writing up something that fits that criteria, you can always email us at newsroom [at] animenewsnetwork [dot] com. We always welcome, and are grateful for, news tips from our readers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5