• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ad Agency Briefly Reveals Sonic the Hedgehog Film's Character Design

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly251

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Dear SEGA,

Please retire Sonic.
He served you well for so long and doesnt deserve to be dragged through cow sh*t.

Sincerly,
a person who grew up on sega system and owned every sonic game released becasue imma fan.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care about this movie either way, but my lord if all these negative reactions aren't makin' me laugh. Laughing
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Well....
...uhm...huh.

At least we still have the Sonic Mania cartoons, amiright?? ^^;

And I can always rewatch the Sonic SatAm cartoons and the Sonic Boom series.

Yes, I'll just pretend this film was cancelled and they didn't make a creepy fuzzy CGI blue dude. Also, I'm so used to "likeable" that "likable" just looks weird to me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Gah! My eyes! I don't think this is what the furries had in mind! Also, I thought having super long legs and a tiny torso were just part of his modern design now? Giving more "human" proportions to a cartoon mascot for terrible video games isn't helping, we've already suspended the hell out of our disbelief.

I don't really care about the movie either way but... remember when Sonic showed up for half a second in Wreck-It Ralph? Was that so hard to make him look like Sonic there? He already had a good 3D model, just run with it.

On the plus side, if this flops hard enough, maybe Sega will consider putting Sonic to rest! Also, Sega, where is my damn Skies of Arcadia remake?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I am not alone with the Nopes.

Not only is it poor CGI, it looks cartoonish. At this rate they might as well use traditional Sonic design.
Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:45 pm Reply with quote
First a lot of anime and manga, then Alita Battle Angel, and now this. Hollywood's bastardation of Japanese series just can't be stopped.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
And people thought Genie looks bad...

Except people complained about Genie before and after they added his blue tint......most people have been on the fence about live action Sonic since before the fake (and real) pictures of Sonic came out.

zawa113 wrote:

On the plus side, if this flops hard enough, maybe Sega will consider putting Sonic to rest!

If Sonic 06, Rise Of Lyric, & Forces weren't enough to kill Sonic what makes you think this will?

Secondly so long as there's a market for Sonic Sega will never stop making games even if a movie adaptation of the character bombs.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
Why are so many people (not just here, other sites too) jumping to the conclusion that this is gonna be a bad movie just because of Sonic’s design? It’s fine to dislike it, but come on, Paramount hasn’t even released a trailer yet.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:11 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Uhm, is it really that bad, guys?

Yes.
MeisterMitch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:
First a lot of anime and manga, then Alita Battle Angel, and now this. Hollywood's bastardation of Japanese series just can't be stopped.

Just so you know A LOT of people like Alita: Battle Angel. And look on the bright side, I hear people are looking forward to the Detective Pikachu movie, which may; and I do stress MAY; end the curse of Video Game Adaptations, though of course Sonic may also Make everything Crash and Burn

Also here's my Reaction:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A67cu0tS5-g
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:53 am Reply with quote
To be honest, I was expecting much, much worse. It's not good, but not as horrifying as I thought it would be.
Peter Hunt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
There is no hope left for this.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:32 am Reply with quote
Wellington wrote:

You do know that

Sonic is nowhere near as popular in Japan as it is in Europe and America therefore they don't care what Paramount does with this movie......the same way they didn't care about what DiC did with Adventures, SatAM & Underground or what Sega of America and Technicolor Animation Productions did with Boom.

Plus it's hard to bastardize something that has multiple media adaptations that have substantial differences from the original video games.....which *ahem* includes the OVA and Sonic X.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:38 am Reply with quote
As one would say,

"This ain't it chief"
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
Based on his design and how the studio clearly doesn't understand the sonic series just with that abomination alone...
I think it's safe to say that Knuckles, Amy, and Tails won't be in this picture.
It'll be woody the wood pecker all over again. Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4