• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: DARLING in the FRANXX Part 1 Limited Edition BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:16 am Reply with quote
Guys, let's not start all this again. Was the review good/fair/accurate? I'd say yes to all. However, if you haven't seen the thing yet, you might check out parts on CR or Funi before committing to the buy as there were issues that some like myself couldn't get past while others did and loved it (and continue to be apologists for BTW). I submit that for me personally, I've rewatched Death March several times but haven't even been tempted to rewatch any of Franxx once since the original airing (and I watched them all once)...
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:16 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
This is just the sort of cheap hyperbole that flows too easily these days, such that calling something the worst or whatever is almost to the point of losing any meaning beyond "I did not think this show was good". Really, this is nowhere near stuff like Brain Powerd, Wings of Rean, or Garzey's Wing, stuff that is really historically, genre definingly bad (in the case of the latter, medium definingly bad). I dare say Franxx made a whole lot more sense than much of the plot of G-Reco. But enough about the works of Tomino. Really, I don't think it is hard to find worse anime or mecha anime specifically, and I think we can stand to be a bit more nuanced and not grab at easy hyperbole so often.

It's no more or less cheap than calling Garzey's Wing, everyone's favorite punching bag, the worst ever. Here, simple: Garzey's Wing is, if you ask me, much better than Franxx. If nothing else, it's far shorter, which immediately makes it better because it wastes far less of your time.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:31 am Reply with quote
In fact, key factor in japanese birthrates is low rates of unwed mothers by international standards; Franxx's approach ain't gonna fix that, obviously.

https://twitter.com/tgrayeb/status/1121562789556948992

[although I'm reminded of Eureka 7 AO, where what was obviously originally intended to be a thoughtful reflection on alternate solutions to japan's political problems got screwed over by executive meddling so badly that the crew just said "fudge it". It's possible something similar happened with Franxx...]
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I submit that for me personally, I've rewatched Death March several times but haven't even been tempted to rewatch any of Franxx once since the original airing (and I watched them all once)...

Really? While I can't see Franxx becoming one of my regular rewatches, I'd watch it a third time (yes, messy second half and all) before sitting through the tedium of Death March a second time.

But to each his own, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:35 am Reply with quote
^^ That's why I couched my opinion that way. Smile An explanation germane to Franxx as well is that simple things have fewer ways to "go wrong" while more complex things have exponentially more ways to "go wrong". Death March I found enjoyable because it was a simple, fun show that knew what (one thing) it wanted to portray and did so with reasonable skill.

Franxx on the other hand tried to address a number of plot points with some level of complexity and seemed to be trying for commentary about society, etc. etc. and in the end "went south". Because of the myriad problems, I found only a couple of episodes enjoyable enough to revisit (during the original run) so after the finale in space...I really never wanted to see the mess again. In an odd way, it didn't help that the production values were so high overall (good songs too) because it was visually enjoyable to watch...

P.S. for those interested in checking Franxx out, the first few episodes were intriguing and promised much that IMO never got delivered, so I believe Ep12 and Ep20 need to be considered before a decision unless you take Wyvern's advice and pretend Ep12 was the end if you can...
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:46 am Reply with quote
While I can understand the issues that some have had with the last half, I also think it gets unfairly ragged on and wasn't as much of a disaster as some have claimed.

But I'll reserve further comment on that for the second half's review, which I actually look forward to getting a chance to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 11:07 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
It's no more or less cheap than calling Garzey's Wing, everyone's favorite punching bag, the worst ever. Here, simple: Garzey's Wing is, if you ask me, much better than Franxx. If nothing else, it's far shorter, which immediately makes it better because it wastes far less of your time.

See, I don't think that's enough, even putting aside my disagreements about it being a waste of time. I think to be the worst, a show needs to fail more thoroughly, in almost every aspect and in some cases ways we could not imagine beforehand. However one feels about the story, visually Franxx is nowhere near the worst and I think generally very good (though not the best, of its year or ever). Now, I've not seen all of Garzey's Wing, so I couldn't say it was the worst myself, but from what I have seen and what I have heard from various people who have reviewed it, Garzey does indeed fail almost across the board, and that consensus has stood the test of time, which is what I think can fairly be said to be historically bad, a level I don't believe Franxx meets, even if I had disliked it.
Vadara

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
My favorite thing about this show is that when it ends, you realize that Literally Nothing Happened. You just wasted your time being strung along for 24 episodes in hopes of some cool-ass final act that just doesn't happen. There's no sense of going on a cool adventure like Kill La Kill and Gurren Lagann, and yes, I know Trigger only produced a few episodes, but it's clearly a show in the same mold as it and its progenitor Gainax's work, and thus I feel like I can judge it on that front. Hell, it doesn't even have the social commentary or tact of Eva.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
See, I don't think that's enough, even putting aside my disagreements about it being a waste of time. I think to be the worst, a show needs to fail more thoroughly, in almost every aspect and in some cases ways we could not imagine beforehand. However one feels about the story, visually Franxx is nowhere near the worst and I think generally very good (though not the best, of its year or ever). Now, I've not seen all of Garzey's Wing, so I couldn't say it was the worst myself, but from what I have seen and what I have heard from various people who have reviewed it, Garzey does indeed fail almost across the board, and that consensus has stood the test of time, which is what I think can fairly be said to be historically bad, a level I don't believe Franxx meets, even if I had disliked it.

Ehh. I mean, we're talking about what qualifies as hyperbole here. I don't think someone declaring it to be that bad is any more or less fair than someone calling another anime they watched and hated that bad - but, yes, I think Franxx got hit harder than other shows simply because more people watched it, so in that sense, I suppose I get it.

...buuuuut on that note, it is admittedly a personal pet peeve that Garzey's Wing gets brought up as the baseline for "bad" when its status is basically a meme at this point, lifted largely by people who have seen little to nothing of it. I mean, doesn't THAT more deserve to be called hyperbole? Credit where it's due, watching part of it is still better in my book than people going around calling it the worst ever only after watching a dubbed clip compilation on YouTube.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Ehh. I mean, we're talking about what qualifies as hyperbole here. I don't think someone declaring it to be that bad is any more or less fair than someone calling another anime they watched and hated that bad - but, yes, I think Franxx got hit harder than other shows simply because more people watched it, so in that sense, I suppose I get it.

...buuuuut on that note, it is admittedly a personal pet peeve that Garzey's Wing gets brought up as the baseline for "bad" when its status is basically a meme at this point, lifted largely by people who have seen little to nothing of it. I mean, doesn't THAT more deserve to be called hyperbole? Credit where it's due, watching part of it is still better in my book than people going around calling it the worst ever only after watching a dubbed clip compilation on YouTube.

Only if it doesn't match the hype, and I have no reason to believe that Garzey's Wing does not. To use the example of another show often nominated as the worst of all time, Chargeman Ken (which I have seen in full) if anything exceeded my expectations of its badness, after hearing about from Mike Toole's column, among others. I do disagree with those who would definitively claim something is the worst or use it as a baseline for badness when they haven't seen it themselves, but I think that is a different problem than hyperbole. To wit, Franxx is I think nowhere near the disaster that some try and make it out to be, which is why you don't see people going around encouraging people to watch it to see how bad it is, unlike let's say the "classics" in this regard, both older titles as mentioned earlier and newer ones, like Hand Shakers.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
You can tell when all the Trigger talent left to make Gridman and left the show rather aimless and with an ending that is...something.

And it’s still about a billion times better than Voltron Legendary Defender so it can’t even take home the worst mecha show of the year award.

it certainly has a much less insufferable pieces of shit fandom than Voltron.
but hey,this anime promotes heternormativity and and if you buy this,you are an evil person.Certain ANN folks said so,so it must be truth!
meiam

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
There's value in being really bad (so good its bad), this means that paradoxically a 1/10 show is more interesting to watch than a 3/10 show, which is merely bad.

I'd also argue that some really small project with little money and talent attached to it turning out bad is not very surprising. On the other hand, a show with plenty of big name attached to it, and considerable budget/marketing, turning out bad is more surprising. The expectation of something being good will "enhance" the disappointment and make it seems worse than it is.

Franxx also wore it's inspiration on it's sleeves, it wasn't trying to do anything radically different, it was using well traveled path. They managed to get lost despite map charting the exact course they were walking (evangelion, gurren lagan and so on), which is quite a bit embarrassing.

So overall it's not "the worst anime ever", but it may be the worst anime you could make with these resources available to you, or at least a very poor showing.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope the second set includes the behind the scenes episode that aired.
JustinTaco

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:32 pm Reply with quote
The only impressive thing about Franxx is its ability to introduce new plot threads and immediately forget them with impressive speed.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside the controversies, the biggest problem I had with Franxx isn't that it's the worst anime ever but it had the problem of being overly bland. It had interesting enough ideas to get you start watching but never followed through with them in a way that was compelling enough to me to make the watch worth it. On the other hand, it didn't feel like it was bad enough to be "so bad it's good" either. Part of me though is curious to finish the second half one day just because the weird stuff in the later episodes that everyone complains about actually sounds more interesting because it at least is doing something different then.

Even animation wise, while it was always visually competent, it never does anything interesting enough to me with it's animation to interest me on that level either, other than the mechas and Zero Two's designs. Zero Two, Ichigo and Mitsuru were the most interesting characters but everyone else felt under-developed to me. The episode about Zero Two's past was probably the highlight for the series for me but it doesn't maintain that momentum going further. I wouldn't call it the worst anime ever (not when Hand Shakers exists), I can see why a lot of fans like it, especially if they're younger fans who didn't grow up with the mecha classics. But if you've been around anime fandom a long time, it's hard to get invested in something that just feels like something you've already seen done a lot of times before and in better ways. In terms of Eva clones, I liked Rahxephon better even though it has a lot of detractors itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3