• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Reincarnated as a Sword Light Novel Listed With TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yune Amagiri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
It took longer than expected but it's finally there ! It certainly deserves an animation as one of the best battle-based isekai, also, nice timing with the next volume coming out tomorrow :p.

I wouldn't mind a two-cour until the spoiler[tournament arc, Fran/sensei vs Amanda would certainly be awesome with a good animation]
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Great... The more people stop investing time in these series the more they'll slowly disappear. You can check the manga out for those interested and it's the same mindless slop except the character is... a sword. OP, skills, random rpg crap, it's all their.

I see the "we hate isekai club" is already here. Seriously, expecting isekai to "slowly dissappear" is about as realistic as expecting that "hip-hop fad" to fade away. Especially with all of the pre-existing isekai anime that are getting sequels. Or the huge amount of otome isekai that have come out in a very short period of time. So no one should expect isekai to go away anytime soon.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I read and reviewed the first novel for this a couple of years ago. While I didn't wind up following the series further, I did think that the fight scenes seemed dynamic and creative and the sword had a good rapport with the girl who ends up wielding him. If the anime production carries off those two elements well then the series should succeed, despite all of the common genre tropes it apes.

I actually purchased the books after reading that review so I'm grateful!
I honestly hope it's good. While the MC is overpowered (though with some "limitations"), the dynamic between him and Fran is what makes the series stand out, IMO.
battle-arc-fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Whether it will be adapted the same way is anyone's guess - as the "Suppose a Kid from the Last Dungeon Boonies" and "The Secret Dungeon only I Can Enter" anime adaptations were WAY more family friendly than the source - but "Reincarnated As A Sword" LNs subjects its 12 year old catgirl lead to no small amount of fanservice. And in the LNs this character actually looks 12 as opposed to the Yoko Littner "drawn to look way older than she is allegedly supposed to be" thing.

Also, about the popularity of isekai in Japan ... the pervasive cultural influence of Buddhism and hence reincarnation. To expect that market to tire of works that reference reincarnation would be like getting weary of eating, sleeping and drinking? Also, isekai is oft less a genre than an added element. Take isekai out of "Familiar of Zero" and it is just another harem comedy in a fantasy setting like Tenchi Muyo or DanMachi. Save a few episodes, Saito being from another world was rarely relevant. Same with "Jobless Reincarnation" ... mostly a plot device to create the overpowered MC. So if you want to add some extra juice to your D&D knockoff or "takes place in a video game world" then make it isekai. Making stuff like "Saga of Tanya the Evil" rare.

Another angle, if you look at anime in the 80s, 90s and 00s a lot of those were clearly influenced by western movies and TV shows. Western space operas/cyberpunk/sci-fi, police and detective shows, westerns, "Pulp Fiction" type crime dramas, "Porkys"/"Animal House"/"Three's Company" type farces, "Harry Potter" etc. clearly influenced a ton of anime. What happened? Well ... we kind of stopped creating interesting TV shows and movies to get exported to Japan and become fodder for anime. I suppose that you can claim that the comic book superhero movie deluge inspired Tiger & Bunny, One Punch Man and MHA but that is it. Think about it: if Gundam was inspired by Star Trek, take away Star Trek and imagine the anime landscape without something as influential as Gundam.

That is kind of what is going on now. Not saying that anime is bad now, but a lot of the shows that were popular in the west i.e. Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon etc. were so precisely because they had similarities to familiar western entertainment. (After all, the most popular anime in the US right now - MHA - is essentially Young Justice or Teen Titans as opposed to being about battling oni or some adaptation of the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.) Unless Hollywood gets back to exporting cool ideas to be inspiration for manga writers, then anime is going to continue to be dominated by themes popular with the Japanese market. Ironically this will make anime "less diverse" as you were more likely to encounter characters like Dutch (Black Lagoon) or Claudia LaSalle (Macross) when anime was still getting inspiration for those characters from Nyota Uhura (Star Trek) or basically any 90s/00s Samuel Jackson action movie. Well maybe that's not a total excuse ... we did get Chad and Don Kanoji in Bleach for no particular reason as well as Bobby Statice as a Buddhist monk exorcist!?!? in Good Luck Girl (wait maybe anime was better back then after all). But another topic for another day.
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:52 pm Reply with quote
At least in this one the main character will be....sharp.

I am sure it will have...pointed...commentary.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Spooky Blades wrote:
Oh god, its finally starting, the super dumb "i reincarnated as an inanimate object" trope isekai adaptations, whats going to be next? the spend machine one or the hot spring one? Laughing

Eh, honestly? This one isn't too out there, sentient weapons are at least an established fantasy trope. This still makes some sense.... at least compared to being reincarnated as a vending machine anyway.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Spooky Blades wrote:
Oh god, its finally starting, the super dumb "i reincarnated as an inanimate object" trope isekai adaptations, whats going to be next? the spend machine one or the hot spring one? Laughing

There are some novels even more weird.
Reincarnated as a virus, reincarnated as a dungeon, reincarnated as a mountain, reincarnated as a spaceship AI and the one that is probably the most weird one, reincarnated as a pair of panties.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
At least in this one the main character will be....sharp.

I am sure it will have...pointed...commentary.

How edgy.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Ahaha I remember seeing this on a bookshelf in a comic book shop and thinking "This will be a anime in the future with how popular isekais are".

This day...I have only predicted and foresaw it coming
Rob49152

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:41 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
There are some novels even more weird.
Reincarnated as a virus, reincarnated as a dungeon, reincarnated as a mountain, reincarnated as a spaceship AI and the one that is probably the most weird one, reincarnated as a pair of panties.

Thanks!! Looks like I have some good reading ahead of me!! Wink

Frankly I enjoy the isekai genre. All the live action TV series and Movies I have loved have become agenda driven political trash over the past few years. I just want escapism from my normal 9-5 working life. Sure, Maybe it's trash... maybe I'm a racoon? To those that don't like it.. shhh.. let the rest of us like what we like. You have other stuff to go watch that I may not like... but that's ok.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Spooky Blades wrote:

Eh, honestly? This one isn't too out there, sentient weapons are at least an established fantasy trope. This still makes some sense.... at least compared to being reincarnated as a vending machine anyway.

Classic fantasy and fantasy in general, have intelligent/sentient weapons, weapons with demons bound into them, and there is even non-isekai light novels that have sentient weapons.

This particular show shouldn't be the hill you are going to die on........

I've been reading the light novels and the manga, so this is going to be the triple dip. So, please anime gods, shine and smile down on this anime production.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:06 am Reply with quote
Not a huge fan of this, but it's decent. Still, I think this would've been better with Fran as the main character finding a sentient sword without the whole isekai gimmick.
Penrhos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:25 am Reply with quote
Great - another Isekai trope...

At least they're not adapting the vending machine one...
NG_Chloe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
I've been interested in reading this for a while now, so I'm looking forward to the adaption.
xevius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
Cute character with cat ears and her talking sword. They both have goals. I'm sold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4