• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Releases Spice and Wolf, 'So I'm a Spider, So What?,' More Audiobooks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
09jcg wrote:
I'm glad this LN Audio book thing is continuing. I spend ALOT of time on the road and have gone through SAO1, 2, and Overlord 1. SAO2 in paticular was interesting cause they had Kiritio and Asuna's voice actors both narrating different parts of the book. It's a great way to burn through some of these longer LN series

Did not realize that the second novel was out. If Cherami's voicing Asuna in it then I may have to check it out, as she makes an excellent Asuna.

Maybe there is still hope for both holo and lawerence to come back for the audiobook after all
09jcg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
^

I hope so cause that would be great. Some minor expecation management though, the way they handled it in SAO 2 Cherami narrated the chapters that were female POV, like Liz and Asunas chapters. They had kiritos VA narrate the Kirito POV chapter. I think the ideal place they get to is having the male VA do the male voices and female VA do female voices so they can play off each other within the same chapters. That's probably very logistically difficult to do but maybe it can happen some day so we can hear Holo and Lawrence banter with each other once more.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Rascal Does Not Dream was one of the ones that I was really hoping for when Yen started doing audiobooks! I'll definitely be picking that up even though I've been collecting the physical books, since I'm a pretty slow reader.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:17 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I hope so cause that would be great. Some minor expecation management though, the way they handled it in SAO 2 Cherami narrated the chapters that were female POV, like Liz and Asunas chapters. They had kiritos VA narrate the Kirito POV chapter. I think the ideal place they get to is having the male VA do the male voices and female VA do female voices so they can play off each other within the same chapters. That's probably very logistically difficult to do but maybe it can happen some day so we can hear Holo and Lawrence banter with each other once more.

That's basically how they handled the Monogatari audiobooks where they actually got proper English dub VA's for the cast and they played their characters when they talked over Aararagi's narration.

I'm kind of wondering how they'll handle adapting Fairy Dance for audiobooks (I'm not sure if they've announced if they'll go up to volume 3+ or not) because I recall it alternates between Kirito, Leafa, and Asuna's POV's so would they just bring back Bryce and Cassandra Lee?
PonSquared

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:39 am Reply with quote
I hope the have a better reader than the one they had for Shield Hero. He was just the worst.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:18 am Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
I hope the have a better reader than the one they had for Shield Hero. He was just the worst.

Shield Hero was not done by Yen Press. I am halfway done with the first volume of Sword Art Online, I really like this and think its well done.
09jcg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:44 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
That's basically how they handled the Monogatari audiobooks where they actually got proper English dub VA's for the cast and they played their characters when they talked over Aararagi's narration.

I'm kind of wondering how they'll handle adapting Fairy Dance for audiobooks (I'm not sure if they've announced if they'll go up to volume 3+ or not) because I recall it alternates between Kirito, Leafa, and Asuna's POV's so would they just bring back Bryce and Cassandra Lee?

I think they're going the distance with these audio books. They have pre-orders up for SAO 3, Overlord up through volume 4 and tanya the saga of evil came out the other day. Of all of them that I've read, Overlord is the weakest since the Ains VA Is having a hard time doing different female voices. Albedo and Shaltier in particular sound alike, so they would definetly benefit from using different VAs.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:20 am Reply with quote
I hope they do audiobooks for "A Certain Magical Index Novel", and "Bofuri I Don't Want to Get Hurt So I'll Max Out My Defense Novel"
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
OKAY, I haven’t bought any of the previous audiobooks they’ve put out but I’m absolutely getting those Spice & Wolf audiobooks if either of the two lead actors (J Michael Tatum and Brina Palencia) are involved. I adored that dub!
PonSquared

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:27 am Reply with quote
chrisc1978 wrote:
PonSquared wrote:

Shield Hero was not done by Yen Press. I am halfway done with the first volume of Sword Art Online, I really like this and think its well done.

My comment stands. I finally get an audio book of a series I want to listen to and the reader is just horrific. I hope these audio books are taken more seriously than the Shield Hero audio book was. Maybe Yen Press will put a little money into them so that it can have a reader who can do both male and female parts. Or better yet, a different reader for the male and female parts.

Best of luck!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2