• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yaoi Paddle Kickstarter Aims to Revitalize Anime Fandom History

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animefan1238

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
It was 2005. I was a senior in high school and with the ok from my mom was given the green light to skip a day of school to attend my first con. I was pumped, excited and filled with joy. Within probably a half hour I saw it. It was around all weekend. Like a mythical creature it was gone for good after a year. Only tales of horror, pain and confusion are evidence of its existence. For those too young be glad you've only heard about the dreaded Yaoi Paddle.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
There's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Can't say I'm surprised all the problems that could have come from it back in the day, did.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:30 pm Reply with quote
As somebody who's been going to conventions since the mid-2000's, I would gladly donate to not bring these back. Please don't. These are easily one of the worst things that ever came out of con culture.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:45 pm Reply with quote
My first con was anime expo 2005 and i went to AX 2006 as well and I don’t remember these paddles. Maybe i just erased them from my mind?
I guess to each their own, and if they continue to be banned at cons, I don’t see much wrong with that kickstarter. People can spend their money how they see fit.
Personally, I don’t see/get the appeal to these things and I wouldn’t buy one.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:23 pm Reply with quote
ThinksTooMuch#934809 wrote:
I never even knew this existed... I am not sure what to do with this information but will just echo what other said and that some things are better lost to time...

Red Bard on YT has a really good video on the rise and fall of it if you're interested. Really informative as someone who never had experience with it in my con experience.
zrdb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I remember seeing these goddamn things at conventions years ago and just shaking my head and saying what the shit? to myself. And why does this site have such an affinity for mentioning anything and everything homoerotic?

Last edited by zrdb on Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
HenryEYES

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:13 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Can we not?

It’s rich that the artist is saying let’s keep it wholesome when it’s not like anybody out there is using these things to paddle a boat or something.

many people just want it as a souvenir of the past, NOT to bother anyone.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
HenryEYES wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Can we not?

It’s rich that the artist is saying let’s keep it wholesome when it’s not like anybody out there is using these things to paddle a boat or something.

many people just want it as a souvenir of the past, NOT to bother anyone.

Those people can easily make their own at home. Anyone trying to make a business out of this is either working in incredibly bad faith to the history of anime fandom or pulling a grift. Or more realistically, doing both.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:42 am Reply with quote
These stupid things were one of the few "fads" more irritating at cons than the plethora of idiots running around yelling butt scratcher (with back scratchers) all the time.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:17 am Reply with quote
A part of the convention scene I miss. I definitely want to get one of the keychains.
psipsy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:35 am Reply with quote
They seem to be against this idea too.
https://twitter.com/hendane/status/1497369727856906240

Half of it is on copyright grounds, the other half is on "we stopped selling them for a reason" grounds.

I love anime con nostalgia too, but fads should be left to memory.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:55 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for the "stretch" goals! Laughing

When ya walks the hallways, ya takes your butt into your own hands!
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:20 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
And why does this site have such an affinity for mentioning anything and everything homoerotic?

I'm...not sure why you feel the need to ask this. This is an anime news site, plenty of anime and manga series have homoeroticism in them (hell, there are entire genres dedicated to it) and as a result there are going to be articles related to it.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
psipsy wrote:
They seem to be against this idea too.
https://twitter.com/hendane/status/1497369727856906240

Half of it is on copyright grounds, the other half is on "we stopped selling them for a reason" grounds.

I love anime con nostalgia too, but fads should be left to memory.

I hope the KS gets shut down then.
Peebs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:38 am Reply with quote
I will be eternally amused by the homophobes coming out of the woodwork. They, and these paddles, are the reason we fujoshi can't have nice things. I would say the opposite of what their homophobic hearts are saying and say that ANN doesn't cover as much BL as they should. It's always about T&A.

I was never smacked by people with these paddles. Thank the Maker. I would've screamed bloody murder at them. I did see vendors yelling at people to buy them tho and that was annoying. I always steered clear from that aisle. If my opinion makes any difference: don't bring these back. The world doesn't need this shite. Solve world hunger instead.

And to those saying you can make one at home: I call bull. I have 4 planks of wood at home and no saw or sander to cut these planks down and make shelves. Making a yaoi paddle is more than making a kitchen wooden spoon. Jeez.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6