• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Spring 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myfairx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I bet many will pick Spy x Family . No doubt it's a fan / general favorite. but I felt half of it were better in the manga form and "adapting as it is" doesn't work well imo. Not familiar with Kaguya manga but first season were meh. Now, third time the charm. Very good indeed.

Dropped Birdy wings but I might pick it up again. Skeleton Knight / Deaimon / Aharen / Shikimori is watchable. Yatogame is fun as usual. Oh, Executioner is good too but somehow I've been delaying the last 2 ep. Not sure why.

Best overall is Machikado Mazoku S2 (not yet finish). The writing and direction is superb. Hard to imagine the source originally 4 koma manga

Biggest disappointment is Ya boy Kongming. Dope first half but dragging it feet on the second.

Biggest surprise.? Onipan! Panpanpapapapanpan!!
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:55 pm Reply with quote
My 2 ¥ worth:

Best: Kaguya-sama - Love is War Ultra Romantic
For this season, there was no competition for the top spot. From start to finish, this has been as close to a perfect season of romcom anime as you could ever possibly get. Throughout 13 episodes of otherwise pure smile-inducing entertainment, I could only find one - ONE! - moment where I felt disappointed. And that was only because they chose not to use a line from the manga. Outside of that, I have no complaints. Kaguya-sama s3 had high expectations going in, and it managed to meet or exceed them all. A true anime classic, one that will still be highly regarded for decades to come. Anime of the Year.

Runner-Up: Spy x Family
Any other season, any other time, and Spy x Family would have easily taken the top spot in the season, perhaps even the year. But it had the misfortune to be going up against Kaguya-sama this time, so it will probably have to wait for its crown some other day. But since Kaguya-sama is now ending its manga (and anime?) run while Spy x Family is going strong as a manga and just starting as an anime, I’m sure its true days of glory are yet to come. I think you’d have to go back at least to Attack on Titan to find an anime that has taken the world by storm in the same way that Spy x Family has, and its well deserved. Captivating characters, absurd humor, and a fun premise have made this series possibly the most watched current anime series on the planet. And Anya Forger is probably the most adorable new character to come on the anime stage in, well, forever. Like Kaguya-sama, this series has all the earmarks of a potential all-time classic, and I am looking forward to every bit of it.

Honorable Mentions: Love After World Domination, Komi Can’t Communicate s2, AMAIM Warrior at the Borderline part 2.

Dropped, Will Get Back To, Generally Liked: Aharen Is Indecipherable, Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie, Ya Boy Kongming!, I'm Quitting Heroing (had work-related time crunches, couldn’t keep up, will finish these later)

Dropped Completely: In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki, Dawn of the Witch,

WTF Mention: Science Fell in Love So I Decided to Prove It, s2
Season finale managed to almost completely destroy an otherwise pleasant season. I’m not opposed to drama in my otherwise comedic romcoms, but... what the flipp’in hell was THAT? I hesitated to give this an Honorable Mention because of those last two episodes, but yet I can’t find myself willing to put it in the worst category because of the first 10. So, compromise: I recommend this season for everything but the Kanade storyline and the last episode. Episode #12 of this series was easily the worst, stupidest, crappiest 22.5 minutes of the entire cour.

Worst: Rising of the Shield Hero, s2
I wasn’t all that invested in the first season, finding that the series started out strong but quickly petered out into a cloyingly stupid mess after about 5 episodes. Honestly, I thought the controversy the series generated online more interesting than the show itself, though I did end up watching the entire series. This time, tho... no, couldn’t even muster up enough interest to last past the first few episodes. Dropped with a vengeance, and I doubt I will give s3 a chance either.

Overall: This season was chocked full of great shows, two of which will almost certainly be hailed as classics for years to come. On to the Summer cour!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Dance Dance Danseur was far and away my favorite show this season, and I think it stands well on its own even if it doesn't get additional seasons (which I'd love it to). Birdie Wing is my runner-up because of how wildly entertaining it is, with the same charm and energy that made me love the two seasons of Gundam Build Fighters.

Fanfare of Adolescence is my least favorite of the shows I watched this season because of how poorly structured it was, and how it failed to serve most of its cast. Also, the ending with spoiler[Shun giving Yu his "powers"] was ridiculous and poorly executed in a way that made me appreciate all the more how Birdie Wing routinely pulls that kind of absurd stuff off. Tomodachi Game, for all its flaws, at least had a consistent tone that worked for the material.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote from article: WORST: Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove it Season 2

Amuro1X wrote:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was utterly disappointed with Science Fell in Love. It ironically made a joke about how the middle point of S2 felt like a finale, and honestly it should have been. Everything with Kanade was utterly infuriating. It may have been trite, but if the message for Kanade's story line had been that her relationship would have gone better if she had just been honest with herself and the guy she was dating, it would have at least been in keeping with the tone of the show which has been feel good up to this point. But the guy turned out to be a psycho rapist and the end result was her falling in love with Yukimura, and what the ever loving hell are you doing!? Even development on the Kosuke and Ena relationship couldn't salvage that dumpster fire.
Am replying to both quotes with this but, while I'll give ya'll that the psycho rapist part WAS uncalled for and very out of place, and for sure it can be frustrating to listen to Kanade during this season becus of her complex about being normal. I DO want to point out a few things in the article that was missed and that may help ya to dislike the Kanade arc a bit less. First of all, Kanade (from the article here) was NEVER meant to be a self insert character, i GET why u'd make that mistake, but even at the end of S1, she had a moment of story time and u can't exactly self insert when u'r giving a character personality such as at the end of S1, which i'd ALSO like to remind everyone that Kanade CLEARLY feel in love with Yukimura at the END of S1, perhaps even b4 that point but for SURE at the end of the 1st season, NOT at the end of the 2nd season. That does NOT come out of no where NOR does her complex come out of no where either, becus as was pointed out (Sadly very quickly so easy to miss/forget if not paying attention), she said the word "normal" almost religiously, it was OFTEN in her sentences, even in S1 I bet. Its something most would miss, something even I missed until it was pointed out by Yukimura followed by a brief flash back of sentences she said throughout the show where in each of them, normal, was always in them. (Which is a hitn to her complex as most don't add normal, to their sentences) heck, even Kanade herself wasn't aware she was doing it and was shocked to find this out (Hence the flash back)

Likewise, S1 was NEVER solely about Yukimura and Himuro, it always invested in the other chars, sure, it still came back to the two lvoe birds, but when you have a cast of characters, RARELY, even in love stories, are the two love birds EVER solely the focol point of the story. Typically you expand on the other characters to flesh them out, so they don't feel like side chars and I wanna remind u that most of the chars IN this anime ARE in fact, main chars. Main chars DON'T get their story ignored, they get fleshed out. Also really quick mention but her complex is something that can legitimately happen, heck, I wonder if her MOM has the same complex, she seemed obsessed with her child being normal for years... Also, loved the new chars who I hope get mroe screen time next season if we get one.

Now, does that mean it was fair that Kanade got the MOST screen time in this season? No, it doesn't HOWEVER, it was needed becus again, u flesh out ur MC and as u can tell by how it ended, she will be a FOCAL POINT (or should be anyway) going forward with the 3rd season (If it happens...)

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVfykYiVsAA1ZBe?format=jpg[/img]

Weird, can't seem to get the image to appear with the bbc code...

With that said, i can understand if someone doesn't like this approach, as shifting from two who had the most screen time to taking that spotlight largely off of them IS disappointing, but the season still kept some of that so it at least was there. But I for SURE would NOT call this 2nd season the worst. That is silly imo as there are for SURE worse anime out there this season...
poltroon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed Spy X Family - really beautifully balanced as all the main characters were very human, expert at something, and then totally adrift in others. Anya is adorable, and what a great mom Yor is turning out to be.

My other must watch was Ascendance of a Bookworm. I've read the source material which I highly recommend, and I wish it had had more episodes and more fidelity and care in the last two episodes. That said, it was still IMHO among the best this season and it is wonderful to see this world animated. I hope it gets more episodes; the worldbuilding and characters only get better with time.

I see you all gushing over Birdie Wing and ... we watched the first episode and really had no appetite for anything more. Is the first episode a good representative of the series?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
My favorite this season was The Demon Girl Next Door Season 2. This show is basically everything I want out of a Manga Time Kirara series. It had great characters and great humor, mixed with strong world-building and the willingness to delve into themes that were much more complicated (and just a tad bit darker) than most "cute girls doing cute things" titles tend to feature.

Coming in at a close second was The Executioner and Her Way of Life, which is probably my favorite non-FUNA isekai light novel series right now, and I think it made for a very strong adaptation.

Nothing I ended up watching for more than an episode ended up disappointing me this season, so I don't have a "worst" title this time around.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:55 pm Reply with quote
My best is Deaimon. I'm not normally the kind of person who likes slice of life iyashikei, but this one worked really well. I feel like it could've been better in retrospect - doing either more episodic things and ditching a bit of the dad-baiting, or the opposite and focusing on the dad situation having less episodic stuff. Still, I liked what we got

My worst was Spy Family. I'm just not into its comedy, really, so after finishing this cour I won't watch the next one. I didn't drop anything this season, which is fairly rare, and mostly enjoyed everything I watched except for it. For comparison's sake, it will still get a better score than my lowest scores for the last season, but not by much
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
For years, I pined for a second season of Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun, which was a sensation when it hit back in 2014. I started reading the manga to get my fix, which after 11 volumes has long since gone past where the anime ended. Then Kaguya-sama: Love Is War came along, and I was like “well, same ballpark of off-the-wall romantic comedy; I’m in.”

After S3 of Kaguya-sama, I’m pretty sure I don’t want another season of Nozaki-kun anymore, and here’s why. While Kaguya-sama S2 gave some hints that the series could move past its regular schtick and do different things --- the Ishigami redemption arc in particular --- ending that season with the silly balloon-inflating game left the impression that the series was perfectly happy to spin its wheels and keep doing the same thing over and over again.

Just like the Nozaki-kun manga has done for a decade.

So then, for S3 to come out and finally push past its formula and move its characters into a new stage… it's utterly revelatory. I didn’t think they had it in them. But now, there’s a whole new way to explore the concept of “love is war”, moving on to a new scenario with new complications. And since the show (and presumably the source material) has done so well getting to this point, I feel confident they’ve got something new to show me, and that they can pull it off.

And I can’t wait to see what they do next.

meiam wrote:
Awww no mention of demon girl next door, the second season was really strong and with some of the best pacing I've ever seen in an anime, it never felt like the staff was just wasting time to stretch things out and the few slow moment usually had some background gag or something.

Some of these “really good but not outstanding” shows need to schedule themselves in winter or summer instead of getting steamrollered in spring and fall. Take a cue from My Dress-Up Darling, the hit of winter which I think would have been as buried this season as The Demon Girl Next Door was.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:04 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts:

Best: Healer Girl
THIS SHOW WAS SO HEARTWARMING! I knew it would be up my alley when I heard the premise, since it's the sort of power I want to have (healing by singing). Not only were the healing scenes soothing to the soul, but also, the characters had wonderful arcs and the slice of life atmosphere was terrific. It was healing to watch.

Runner-Up: Delicious Party Pretty Cure
This continues to be so fun and warmhearted like Pretty Cure always is, but I also love the themes of food being connected to memories and how it can cheer you up. It's been inspiring me, who has always been a foodie, to really savor my food and eat more mindfully, which makes meals more enjoyable and is better for my health.
Plus, Gentlu had a fantastic arc this season! I can't wait to see her spoiler[become Cure Finale]!

No worst, I didn't watch anything I disliked this season. What I did watch also (and enjoyed!) are Heroines Run the Show (another new fave), Deaimon, Ascendance of a Bookworm III, Dance Dance Danseur, Mahjong Soul Pon and Waccha PriMagi.

Last edited by Saeryen on Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:26 am Reply with quote
I forgot to post this earleir but, I'm watchign the Dub of Shield Hero S2 and i agree, its been a mostly bad season thus far and for SURE deserves to be on the worst anime or at LEAST most disappointing anime this season list.

As for soemthing NOT on the list, which i am VERY thankful is not, it's BRS: Dawn Fall. I guess I shouldn't be surprised not many are talking about it given fans have wrongfully scared other fans away and also am unsure how many BRS fans there are these days but, its for sure not the worst, nor disappointing. I played the PSP game BRS: The Game and its story is closer to that than the 1st two anime series' stories were but tis still its own thing and is very dif from the game's story (The two are not the same nor do they have the same chars, just BRS herself in name and appearance but not the same char, every BRS series shares names and appearances but they're never the same chars in each BRS adaptation) but like i said, sadly fans have harped on it saying its not BRS and other stuff that's not true when it is BRS, has BRS's core themes (Hope and trying to over come despair) and deserves a higher rating than what fans give it and significantly far less negative comments about it and more positive comments.

My point is, if u'r a BRS fan, go watch Dawn Fall. Is it the best this season or at all? No, and that's ok, doesn't need to be, it was ok. My only real issue with it is it really needs 1 more ep to flesh out some unresolved mysteries which the anime didn't get to answer sadly...

And lastly, DGND2, Darkness Peach is awesome and we NEED more of her! Love this series and even though there's 1 more ep left, its been mostly awesome the whole way through, did not disappoint. :)

<_<
>_>
<.<
>.>
ok, I think no one is looking now so here I go... Fight on Darkness Peach! For someday you may get another season to appear in!
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:28 am Reply with quote
For me this was probably the weakest season in many years. I only followed about 6 shows and only two of them were what one would call remarkable - Kaguya sama and Spy x Family. And even those weren't exactly at the top of their game - Kaguya sama's 2nd season was overall better than its 3rd, despite its wonderful conclusion. The anime made some choices that weren't exactly thrilling, like spending entire episodes in stalling and setting up, also introducing the girls from the spin-off and just taking for granted that the audience already knows them and they have some gravity they gained off screen. And Spy x Family was extremely overhyped and only shined whenever Anya was its primal focus.

As for the rest, Komi Can't Communicate was never able to amaze me (although in this season it did have a great episode and I can say that it was generally better than its first part), LotGH started strong but couldn't manage to follow up somehow, the excitement was just lost somewhere, and Requiem of the Rose King... well that stayed consistent, only that we already knew that it always consisted of just the bare minimum.

As for Tomodachi Game, I totally understand the people who said they didn't like it, even if I personally think that it wasn't that bad. There is plenty of good stuff in it and its beginning is quite misleading. It's quite a shame that the manga picks up where the anime left off, while the entire premise is still the series' biggest mystery and its hook. Too bad all this was overshadowed by juvenile lines like: "Oh my God, Yuuichi just coughed, he is so cunning, Yuuichi just looked sideways, he is so merciless, Yuuichi just moved his pinky finger, he is such a twisted evil genius" every ten minutes in every episode. I mean I totally get it. Many times game series, survival or not, do not translate well on screen.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:39 am Reply with quote
This season is stacked in terms of premieres, but as usual only four or five stand out to me by the end of it. (Excluding Spy x Family as that has a confirmed second cour)

Gem of the Season I'm sure plenty of viewers could guess that Ascendance of a Bookworm is rushing through its material since S2. The final arc of this season is especially frustrating to watch because I could tell a lot is being left out. Yet none of that diminished the impact of the final episode for me (and if only for that, I'm thankful for not having read the source material). Its charms has completely won me over, and regardless of the prospects of a 4th season, I've already decided that the LN series will be part of my physical collection of manga and LN.

Eye Candy Dance Dance Danseur I didn't expect this to be this great, as I personally didn't find the MAPPA gem Yuri on Ice all that consistent throughout its run, but this one just topped itself episode after episode. Despite the atrocious 90s shojo-style eyes, and similarly shojo melodrama, the electrifying sparks the MC feels is transmitted from screen to my skin and more than makes up for it!

Strong Finish Kaguya-sama. I'm really not into romcoms but silly me still forced my way through SIX romcoms that seemed promising, because I'm always in search for the second coming of Nozaki-kun. To no avail. This is the sole standout from that list, and really only because of that finale (as overall I liked S2 more)

Surprise(s) I went into Kong Ming completely blind and I didn't expect the Carole & Tuesday-ish direction it took, but I still came out of it thoroughly entertained

Requiem of the Rose King is the one show I'm determined to finish despite it being a shadow of its potential, and boy I'm glad I saw it through. I didn't know I cared enough for its characters until tears voluntarily rolled down my cheeks in not one, not two, but three episodes. That has got to be a personal record.

Meh Everything else I watched that I'm just glad I don't have to watch next season, but with highlights good enough not to drop: Komi-san, Aharen-san, Shikimori-san, Love After World Domination, and Deaimon.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:17 pm Reply with quote
thepepin wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I take it Summertime Render isn't allowed in any of these lists. It's my contender for top show of the season along with Spy X Family. I literally felt afraid for the main characters in the most recent installment.

On Summertime Render my guess is they can't rate a show that they can't watch.

Ohhh, that would make sense why it wasn't being covered this season. Looks like it's in...Disney jail? That's a shame; it's the only thing I've really been paying attention to this time.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Ohhh, that would make sense why it wasn't being covered this season. Looks like it's in...Disney jail? That's a shame; it's the only thing I've really been paying attention to this time.

Yes, sadly, "Disney+ jail" is now a thing. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:39 am Reply with quote
I weirdly enjoyed Bubble, enough that I cried at the end. I'm starting to think it's just because I enjoy The Little Mermaid myth because I haven't seen a lot of other people who enjoyed it. I also just liked the music.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3