• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Stepmom's Daughter Is My Ex (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Alright, I am happy that it is over. I generally was not a big fan of this one.

I specifically did not like the 'chemistry' between Mizuto and Yume, and the repeated parts of really trying to hint some lingering romance, just turned me off. There were perhaps some parts between them that I liked, and it was just when they acted somewhat sibling like, without needing to worry what is sibling behaviour, but the repeated parts of them coming back to the romance. I don't know, maybe they could have just come out to some people that they used to date, but not anymore, and they can be just siblings.

I did like Higashira, that she could be a dork, flirt with him, but they are friends first. But I think that her character was spoiled by the other girls trying to get into their business, and then Yume policing what their relationship has to be like if it is not romantic.

I barely know what to think of the other two friends. It has to be my issue, as I haven't seen much comment elsewhere, but I thought that both Minami and Kawanami were kind of queer coded. Minami seems more obvious, in how attached she was Yume, her touchiness even extending to Higashira, but I don't think it was missing from Kawanami either. I do think they made some jokes about it, but I do think that it is a bit in the air why those two just jump on the siblings. I admit that it is a me issue, that I am just seeing things that there were no intensions.

Overall, my rating is going to be Not really good (4/10, but not a total waste of time either.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:43 pm Reply with quote
#12 End

Although the animators tended to focus on Yume for the camera shots, the plot has always been more focused on Irido as a character study. Probably because his extended family is brought in and viewers can see how he lived growing up, since Yume does not get the same exposure with regards to background. If viewers hadn't already figured it out, his final monologue regarding his relationship with books and reality should match what viewers had already come to a conclusion to as far as to why he treats Yume so differently compared to others.

As to what relationship the two of them have going forward, it's still vague since neither side admits they can't completely let go of the past. What DOES matter for them is that they have accepted what has transpired and processed it, using it as a base to develop something new for the future. They will still argue and undermine each other, but that is quite normal for (step)siblings. Irido Yume's vow to supplant Ayai Yume as Irido Mizuto's special person is probably not what I thought would happen, since something bordering on incest isn't something Mizuto is keen on. But his relatives are happy he has family to rely on and she isn't going to disappoint them having learnt more about him as a stepsibling than she ever could short of marrying him.

For a romantic comedy, it's not the typical fare. The stepsibling dynamic isn't completely original, but the manner in which it supplants and transforms a previously romantic relationship into something much more complex is a very human phenomenon that viewers can realistically relate to, even if the setting is unrealistic to begin with. The addition of friends could have made the dynamic more interesting, but that fell away towards the end once the summer holidays started and school relationships paused for the Obon holidays. There's one final comedy moment when Higashina meets Kawanami for the first time, but other than that it's only Mizuto's relatives who really figured out what happened between the two as the pair successfully uphold the deception in their school lives.

I wasn't expecting much when I started this as this is not typically what I watch, but I enjoyed all the same. Unlike others expecting something more typical of the genre focusing on the romance (and utter lack of it in this series), seeing the character interplay was a big highlight for me. This would not have worked if the two protagonists were much older in biological and emotional years, but it does and it's definitely entertaining when the comedy hits the highs. As far as I can tell this is complete, so there won't be a sequel adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2