• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tokyo Mew Mew New

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:40 am Reply with quote
This is my first encounter with Tokyo Mew Mew. Happy to see that Rebecca will be covering this series.

The ED theme is cute and catchy. It's become one of my two favorites.

Shay Guy wrote:
The translator for this remake posted a neat Twitter thread on the topic last month. I've had no direct exposure whatsoever any version of TMM, but I found the "Mew Strawberry would 100% make more sense than Mew Ichigo, given the pattern, but it'd sound completely wrong to the entire fandom" point especially interesting.

That Twitter thread was an interesting read. So unfortunately the current translator is constrained by the mistakes that other people made in the past (dammit Tokyopop!).
Quote:
Bu-Ling Huang

Bu-Ling doesn't really fit the food theme. At least Huang fits the color scheme.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:41 am Reply with quote
I feel like it’s aimed more for older fans than younger viewers because of the late night time slot
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:41 am Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
[lots of info re: localization of names]

Thank you, now I see a bit more clearly! Very Happy I never read/seen this in English before, so I was really weirded out. I guess this is a similar situation as with LoGH DNT where the translator went with name spellings widespread in the fandom, originating in obvious misspellings by fansubbers or the OVA's creators - despite Japanese Wikipedia, the LoGH Encyclopedia, and the official website for the show itself, using the correct romanizations. It was really frustrating, the subtitles perpetuating misspellings or even completely wrong versions of names, even though this could've been the perfect opportunity to correct them. ("Julian Minci" - really??? It's "Mintz"!)

Princess_Irene wrote:
Again, I'm fully aware of this. What I find interesting is that the tropes that we tend to brand as more "unwholesome" have largely fallen out of favor in non-manga/anime romance fiction, particularly in the west, with the notable exception of young adult literature. The book Dangerous Men, Adventurous Women edited by Jayne Ann Krentz has a few very interesting academic essays on the topic, as does Maya Rodale's Dangerous Books for Girls. I of course can't find them now, but the site Smart Bitches, Trashy Books has hosted several interesting essays about non-con fantasies in the past.

I'm not much of a YA lit fan so I don't know a lot about it, but a friend of mine has tried very hard to convert me a while ago, and one of the things I noticed about the books she made me read was that they were incredibly simplistic about these things, and very on the nose about "his is not right" "this is wrong" "this character did Bad Thing which means he's Bad and we should not empathize with him" etc. It was really perplexing to think "young adults" were reading what to me seemed to be on the level of children's books. Perhaps those books were more "young" adult than young "adult".

As for why the tropes have fallen out of favor, honestly I think it's another wave of repression, that perhaps started with the noise about Twilight and its ilk "spreading harmful messages"... at least that's when I started noticing a general tendency for adults to read works intended for children/teens because those didn't have (as many) tropes that people found uncomfortable, and the rise of content targeting young/young adult women that tried very hard to be wholesome. I'm not one of those bleating about "omg wokeness destroying art" or whatever, especially considering what those people generally think "art" is, but I do find it a pity, I think this tendency just strengthens really unfortunate ideas about what "messages" are and how readers parse them, as well as authors endorsing what they write about and the baffling "good content is only created by good people" idea that keeps going around.

Dynamo- wrote:
I agree but I do notice the same people screaming the world is doomed every heat wave. I agree overall temperatures are on the rise however heat waves do happen. Last year where I live we had a 3 week heat wave and hottest days being 115f. This year so far hottest day has been 81f and since summer started an average of 74f. So indeed climate change is a thing but a heat in the UK is what it is, unfortunate but possible. Lol

Lol but it's not just a heatwave that just happens as they would. Heatwaves are now happening in places where they were rare before, they're worse than ever before - in my country we're getting temperatures never before, rising year from year. And they bring terrible drought that impacts food, we have already lost almost half of the usual volume of grain produce this year, and summer is still not over. Farmers are losing their livelihood, never mind the way this drives up food prices, etc. And the cold waves now usually bring monsoon-type rains that, again, were never a thing here before, cause floods that again endanger people's lives and destroy produce.

So no, I don't think there's anything "lol" about it, nor that it's wise to dismiss heatwaves as things that just happen.
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I'm not much of a YA lit fan so I don't know a lot about it, but a friend of mine has tried very hard to convert me a while ago, and one of the things I noticed about the books she made me read was that they were incredibly simplistic about these things, and very on the nose about "his is not right" "this is wrong" "this character did Bad Thing which means he's Bad and we should not empathize with him" etc. It was really perplexing to think "young adults" were reading what to me seemed to be on the level of children's books. Perhaps those books were more "young" adult than young "adult".

"Don't empathize," and its ilk are phrases I see more and more of and it fricking scares me. We should never be individually or categorically undermining the natural impulse to treat with other human beings as fellow humans, even if their behavior, ahem, "sucks." Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart who's never experienced true pain, or maybe it's because I've seen firsthand the kind of abuse that leads to "monsters" like that and feel guilty I couldn't do anything to stop it, but... that's enough oversharing on that topic for today.

SHD wrote:
As for why the tropes have fallen out of favor, honestly I think it's another wave of repression, [...] I think this tendency just strengthens really unfortunate ideas about what "messages" are and how readers parse them, as well as authors endorsing what they write about and the baffling "good content is only created by good people" idea that keeps going around.
My personal favorite is, "Well, if you want to see thaaat, there must be something wrooong with you." That epic one-two punch of gaslighting and kink-shaming. Often directed at persons I would guess are probably just kids themselves, who go on to internalize their own inherent wrongness and also learn the attitude that this is an okay way to treat others. Basically, I hate the internet. Laughing

My own reaction to New Mew so far has been limited to "oh, my." I feel like the consent-issues stuff around her transformation was meant to look like Ichigo proving her qualifications as a magical girl, but sort of missed the mark that most transformation pacts are signed before giving the transformation item, which in this case involves sci-fi nonsense. The equivalent would be deliberately locking Peter Parker in a room with a radioactive spider, which is terrifying to think about. But it looks fantastic.

The bouncing Yukkuri heads in the ED were a choice, though.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
*a whole bunch of good stuff about the importance of empathy and how some people online shame others*

Yes, I agree with you 100%!

I really am loving Mew Mew New so far. I didn't see the bell thing as so bad, I thought it was more "here's something to replace the choker you lost, P.S. if you're in danger I want to protect you." I do know that she's more then capable of doing the protecting, I just really like the idea of a romantic partnership where they protect and care for each other. Personally I want to both give and receive grand fairytale romantic gestures and also comfort them when they need it and have them do the same for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:14 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
"Don't empathize," and its ilk are phrases I see more and more of and it fricking scares me. We should never be individually or categorically undermining the natural impulse to treat with other human beings as fellow humans, even if their behavior, ahem, "sucks." Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart who's never experienced true pain, or maybe it's because I've seen firsthand the kind of abuse that leads to "monsters" like that and feel guilty I couldn't do anything to stop it, but... that's enough oversharing on that topic for today.

Exactly. And also, empathy =/= sympathy. I keep seeing people equating the two and it's just mindboggling to me. Just because you understand where someone is coming from doesn't mean you have to suddenly be sympathetic towards them, or forgive them, or anything. However, understanding what makes someone tick is a great way to relate to them in ways that's beneficial to you (both of you, as the case may be), in many many ways.

Consuming fiction is, in a way, gaining some kind of a life experience, since it allows us to experience things, get to know people, etc. that we normally wouldn't, for a variety of reasons. It helps us put ourselves in the headspace of others, understand the complexities of the world and the many ways people see themselves in it, the many ways people think, relate to issues, etc. It makes people more open and sensitive, and I think that never hurts. So striving to sanitize it, or rejecting complexities for black-and-white simplicity simply out of not trusting readers to process it according to their own interpretations and processes, is something I find really sad.

wolf10 wrote:
My personal favorite is, "Well, if you want to see thaaat, there must be something wrooong with you." That epic one-two punch of gaslighting and kink-shaming. Often directed at persons I would guess are probably just kids themselves, who go on to internalize their own inherent wrongness and also learn the attitude that this is an okay way to treat others. Basically, I hate the internet. Laughing

Oh boy, don't get me started on that... Ugh.

Back to Tokyo Mew Mew and its ending, it really reminded me of something and now I just remembered what... the special ending of Yondemasu yo Azazel-san, from the episode where Sakuma turns into the Strawberry Warrior. It's like someone in the TMM team saw the skeevy parody and said "like that, but play it straight (and maybe less skeevy)". Very Happy
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Exactly. And also, empathy =/= sympathy. I keep seeing people equating the two and it's just mindboggling to me. Just because you understand where someone is coming from doesn't mean you have to suddenly be sympathetic towards them, or forgive them, or anything. However, understanding what makes someone tick is a great way to relate to them in ways that's beneficial to you (both of you, as the case may be), in many many ways.

Consuming fiction is, in a way, gaining some kind of a life experience, since it allows us to experience things, get to know people, etc. that we normally wouldn't, for a variety of reasons. It helps us put ourselves in the headspace of others, understand the complexities of the world and the many ways people see themselves in it, the many ways people think, relate to issues, etc. It makes people more open and sensitive, and I think that never hurts. So striving to sanitize it, or rejecting complexities for black-and-white simplicity simply out of not trusting readers to process it according to their own interpretations and processes, is something I find really sad.

(And also replying to your earlier post about YA fiction!)

Absolutely, and I really hope I didn't come off as being against this in the review - it's less a case of "ick, that happened" and more "huh, that could have been handled in a better way." Which, incidentally, is largely my issue with a lot of YA romance's use of the tropes mentioned before - it's too black-and-white without actually bothering to look at why a character might do something. I do see that changing, mostly in queer YA literature, which mirrors what's happening in adult romance fiction; if you want books that never stoop to kink-shaming or making people feel ashamed of who they are and what they like, go read some K. J. Charles. (Seriously. Her books are amazing.)

YA has a very troubled history, but that's a lecture for another thread. (One of my graduate degrees is in Writing for Young People, AKA Kiddy Lit, for context.) What I've always liked about magical girls is that they can approach YA and middle grade fiction from a more symbolic angle and still cover important or serious ground without getting swamped by a lot of the so-called "realistic" garbage. New Mew seems like it's getting stuck somewhere in between, which I remember from the manga as well.

Saeryen wrote:
didn't see the bell thing as so bad, I thought it was more "here's something to replace the choker you lost, P.S. if you're in danger I want to protect you."

I like that much better. I was very off-put by the fact that he framed it as "with this I'll always know where you are" and the whole belling-the-cat metaphor, which implies that he doesn't think she's capable. (I read too much folklore.)
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:48 am Reply with quote
I concur, the bell thing came off as a little stalkerish. Laughing

In cases like these though; the reaction the corresponding character has is what makes or breaks a scene.

Like Ichigo didn't look disturbed by that, she looked really happy. If she looks happy, I think, we the viewers are supposed to be happy for her instead of going "Omg, run." She doesn't want to run. She likes being with him.

(I still think these two have zero chemistry in this new version and I don't care about them at all so that is just my input on the expected audience reaction.)

Um so....let me compare my reactions to a characters' reactions from a manga I love:

Boy tries to kiss girl ----> she stops him by shoving him away but blushes after he apologizes to her and leaves the room.

Different boy forces kiss on a ten-year-old girl----> she screams "NO!" runs away, sits in the corner and starts sobbing with her head in her arms.

.....guess which scene pissed me off more? Twisted Evil
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:59 am Reply with quote
On the topic of the characters having food names in Tokyo Mew Mew, the ongoing manga spinoff Tokyo Mew Mew Ole (featuring an alt-universe magical boy version of the Mew Mews) avoids this issue altogether by naming them after Tokyo districts like Shibuya and Kanda.
http://nakayosi.kodansha.co.jp/manga/198/
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I like that much better. I was very off-put by the fact that he framed it as "with this I'll always know where you are" and the whole belling-the-cat metaphor, which implies that he doesn't think she's capable. (I read too much folklore.)

I get that someone might read it the not so good way but considering what kind of anime this is it is likely meant to be read the other way (in my opinion).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nev999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I think what some people don't get is, addition to being made uncomfortable by the tropes, people might be tired of seeing it. Doing the 'guy is possessive, treats girl as if she's not capable, and ignores consent' thing isn't daring or anything, it's been done to death. It's still not hard to find it, and frankly, it's in part because it was so ubiquitous that there was a backlash against it. I mean, in this very thread, someone said the non-con turned them off BL then said the backlash against similar/adjacent tropes in het romance is just people being sensitive.

I like reading about relationships I'd never subject myself into in real life, but personally, I like them to be unhealthy in interesting ways. And there are indeed examples in the modern western fiction sphere even- The Locked Tomb Series has SPECTACULARLY unhealthy web of relationships, but they're unhealthy in fun ways I haven't seen twenty million times, and all of the characters are very dynamic rather than one just being the blushy one who gets preyed on. (Also, I just read a popular queer YA book where the character got together with a somewhat manipulative girl after being extremely combative with her, saying she's always been a fan of monster***er stories so it's no surprise this is her type. So, agreed with Rebecca there that it's changing.)

I'm definitely not down with the idea of 'don't empathize with characters who do bad things' and I do think some people don't understand what they're feeling is partly just "I find this exhausting and uncomfortable, it's not for me" and shouldn't be saying "you cant do x or you're bad if you enjoy x" but trends die out for a multitude of reasons, and one of them is they're overdone or weighed on the tolerance of too many.

As for me, I've always had zero interest in possessive hot boys, and it's definitely not what I watch magical girl shows in particular for, so since they're continuing to be a big focus in Tokyo Mew Mew, I've figured out this series isn't for me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Nev999 wrote:
I mean, in this very thread, someone said the non-con turned them off BL then said the backlash against similar/adjacent tropes in het romance is just people being sensitive.

Yes, that was me and "backlash" and "being turned off to a thing" are two very different things.

If I'm "turned off to something", that means I'm not that passionate about it; I don't really seek it out. I'm not going to go on endless rants about it being "bad" or "wrong" because I don't see it as a "problem". It appeals to certain fetishes where nobody is actually being hurt and that is fine. It's just not my personal cup of tea.

Backlash is more...uh...it's being much more critical in a very negative way. Backlash is what Seven Seas keeps getting every time they screw up a release. It's quite an ugly scenario. Except I feel those people are justified.

"Overly-sensitive" is when other people use social media to threaten others over a story they didn't like. Those type of people are not justified. Which is why I said "over-". A "sensitive" person will be offended but just avoid the story. An "overly-sensitive" person will do their damnedest to get the story canceled and harass the poor author . Because this person obviously has issues.

Also, please note, when I'm talking about "non-con", I mean actual rape. Couldn't give a rat butt about 'surprise kissing'; unless it's under certain circumstances like the case I mentioned earlier....but even in that case, I won't drop the story. I don't like sexual assault in BL and I sure as hell don't like it in het romance either. Same goes for most other kinds of abuse. Once the "love interest" crosses that line....I will stop reading.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:35 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
As far as magical girl reboots go, I have to say from an animation, energy, and vibe level I feel like Tokyo Mew Mew New has more going for it than the first season of Sailor Moon Crystal.

That about sums up my thoughts on New Mew. It's doing what it's trying to do much better than Crystal ever did. The art and animation are good, dare I say better than the original at times (as it should be for a 20+ year old show) like the transformation sequences.

My only fear is the series length with hinder the development and spotlight we get with the girls. Even if it gets 2 cours that would be half the original series length. I do like more decompressed stories to see the girls interact and have adventures more than just rushing through the plot. A year-long run for a show like this is the sweet spot IMO, like what Precure gets.
SHD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:48 pm Reply with quote
PrincessIrene wrote:
if you want books that never stoop to kink-shaming or making people feel ashamed of who they are and what they like, go read some K. J. Charles. (Seriously. Her books are amazing.)

I'll take a look, thanks for the rec. I'm not much of a romance fan, if it's a romance there's got to be some sort of a twist to make me interested*... But the world is so dark right now, some shamelessly straightforward fun really wouldn't hurt.
*Like say, the age gap and the delicate writing and very relatable nature for the heroine in Nodoka no niwa, that I really really recommend even to those who are not fans of age gaps. (Age gaps are not something I'm a fan of, as such, but this manga is more about the heroine and her discovery and understanding of herself through this romance, I think it's really great.)

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

My only fear is the series length with hinder the development and spotlight we get with the girls. Even if it gets 2 cours that would be half the original series length. I do like more decompressed stories to see the girls interact and have adventures more than just rushing through the plot. A year-long run for a show like this is the sweet spot IMO, like what Precure gets.

This is a fairly short manga, though, so unless they just kind of do their own thing and add tons of anime original material, instead of adhering to the manga (which I assume the first anime did), the short length is probably justified.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
This is a fairly short manga, though, so unless they just kind of do their own thing and add tons of anime original material, instead of adhering to the manga (which I assume the first anime did), the short length is probably justified.

The short length already isn't justified, the show has been paced like a 50 episode magical girl show so far with how long it's taken just for everybody to join.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6