• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Swordsmith Village Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:03 pm Reply with quote
So we're introduced to the soon to be 'Murica Hashira only for them to take a pike in the chest. I'd say it's a bit on the nose for him to be an actual flag being raised but i still enjoyed it none the less.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:02 am Reply with quote
Demon Slayer is the perfect example of an average shounen that only got as popular as it did since ufotable animated it. It'd otherwise be remembered as that average shounen spoiler[that had an incredibly rushed ending arc that came out of nowhere.]
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:17 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
Demon Slayer is the perfect example of an average shounen that only got as popular as it did since ufotable animated it. It'd otherwise be remembered as that average shounen spoiler[that had an incredibly rushed ending arc that came out of nowhere.]

Yeah sure, those manga volume that outsold the entire industry sure have lots of nice animation, that why people rush to buy they so much. Alsospoiler[ the story literally have no where else to go except for to the final arc with what happened at the end of this arc so call the final arc come out of nowhere is nonsense.]
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Leviathonlx1 wrote:

Yeah sure, those manga volume that outsold the entire industry sure have lots of nice animation, that why people rush to buy they so much. Alsospoiler[ the story literally have no where else to go except for to the final arc with what happened at the end of this arc so call the final arc come out of nowhere is nonsense.]

Dunno what makes you think it was outselling the entire industry before the anime lol. It wasn't ranked badly in shounen jump at times (but was not at all the the top manga of the magazine) before the anime and it was relatively unknown outside Japan as well. Sales also =/= quality.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:13 am Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:
KarlFranz wrote:
Leviathonlx1 wrote:

Dunno what makes you think it was outselling the entire industry before the anime lol. It wasn't ranked badly in shounen jump at times (but was not at all the the top manga of the magazine) before the anime and it was relatively unknown outside Japan as well. Sales also =/= quality.

Here the thing, anime are advertisement and advertisement can only expose a product to the general public, it's up to the product to drive the sale. Advertisement sure help but people buy the manga to read what going to happen next, that mean people engage with the manga enough to buy it. If you just need a good anime to sale, care to explain why no other series reached KnY level of success despite also have good anime? Like why couldn't MHA, BC, Assassin classroom or even Samurai 8 , the most pushed product in recent time of WSJ?
Also KnY did have relatively high ranking on WSJ before the anime, it was recommended by tons of authors in Japan before the anime like Togashi or Nasu. And not like many WSJ are well-know outside of Japan before MangaPlus, only the really big hitter.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:58 pm Reply with quote
This season has been pretty boring so far. It feels like the emotional stakes have never been lower.

The highlight of this arc for me is Gyokko. Demon Slayer's attempts to make its villains compelling usually fall flat, so I prefer the more simple, pure evil villain characters like Muzan. I think Gotouge excels in that regard, and Gyokko as a villain is top tier. Creepiest design, personality, and powers. Seriously, those people he regurgitates out of his vases don't seem to be having fun
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
Even people I know who love this series say the best already past.

I quite frankly watch it for the fireworks, never actually liked it nor had any other opinion on it besides "generic".

So, as long as it looks pretty its enough for me.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Leviathonlx1 wrote:

Yeah, this has been impression of first season till now. While I've enjoyed the series in a general sense due to the production values, the source material itself has never really measured up. Now this season just feels like its hitting the limit on how much ufotable can dress up the series otherwise mediocre plotting and repetitive pathos.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:19 pm Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Leviathonlx1 wrote:

spoiler[Everyone is quite literally dropped into the final arc/Infinity Castle; while the story may have had nowhere else to go, it still came out of nowhere. Pretending that the rushed, sloppy writing was unavoidable is silly. ]
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
About halfway through the episode—while Tanjiro is killing time until Nezuko can pull a brand new, power-up sword for him out of her hulked-out demon ass

For someone who complain that KnY is too simple you sure miss the most obvious things ever. Like Nezuko blood can burn demon, that have been the case ever since the end of season 1. Now they literally just coat his sword with her blood.

KnY have a lot of detail that it expect viewers to pick up on their own but it can backfire when people who don't even bother to engage with the series complain about how it not explain the most obvious thing to them.

Quote:
[spoiler[Everyone is quite literally dropped into the final arc/Infinity Castle; while the story may have had nowhere else to go, it still came out of nowhere. Pretending that the rushed, sloppy writing was unavoidable is silly.] ]

spoiler[Yeah, not like we have seen the Infinite Fortress since the start and we know the demon who control the place could drag people into it. Totally come out of nowhere.]
RGaspar

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
This is my least favorite arc, not in small part because it's almost just a big neverending battle, without any kind of training or much in the way of character moments.

Although, there's a thing that will happen near the end of this arc that I'm pretty much looking forward to.

Animation is ace as usual, it really elevates the mediocre base material.
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 7:26 pm Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
This is my least favorite arc, not in small part because it's almost just a big neverending battle, without any kind of training or much in the way of character moments.

Similar to last story arc then with less silly time getting to know the Hashira.

RGaspar wrote:
For someone who complain that KnY is too simple you sure miss the most obvious things ever. Like Nezuko blood can burn demon, that have been the case ever since the end of season 1. Now they literally just coat his sword with her blood.

Going by the way they presented it with flashbacks to legends of a ancestor warrior, changing head scars and the blade actually turning red, it is meant to be more then just burning blood on the blade. It does come across as contrived, really the only element that seems to be consistent is that if his sister could talk she could probably explain all the family plot.

All this coming from him learning his family ceremonial dance.

Plus I still bemoan Nezuko's writing as she could of been such a battle partner instead of being a literal girl in a box.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:

Plus I still bemoan Nezuko's writing as she could of been such a battle partner instead of being a literal girl in a box.

Shonen jump editorial is really quite bad at their job of helping manga artists structure their stories, and has been for literal decades at this point. If you have the skills yourself, or get external support, you'll be fine, but the usual pattern is for a novice to come up with an interesting first arc, not know quite what to do next, get zero help and thrash around until eventually the manga's cancelled and the mangaka burnt to ash. It's diabolical, tbqh.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
RGaspar wrote:

Similar to last story arc then with less silly time getting to know the Hashira.

RGaspar wrote:

Going by the way they presented it with flashbacks to legends of a ancestor warrior, changing head scars and the blade actually turning red, it is meant to be more then just burning blood on the blade. It does come across as contrived, really the only element that seems to be consistent is that if his sister could talk she could probably explain all the family plot.

All this coming from him learning his family ceremonial dance.

It not the flashback, it's the memory of Muzan regarding that warrior than got instill in all of the demon, we saw the same thing back in the fight with Daki when she saw that legendary warrior to. Also the red sword have been said to be a color that only exist in legend, now we can see why, because those sword aren't red normally, they are black but only turn red under certain condition, like coal that usually black but turn ember red when burned. The Scar also a thing since season 2. All of those things just finally come together at this moment.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:06 am Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:

It has felt very rushed to me, so far, primarily for this reason. Although, KnY also doesn't do character work all that well, and yet has excellent battle animation and direction, so I'm kinda ambivalent and half-OK with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11