• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE: Oshi no Ko Anime Has Biggest Series Launch in Streaming Service's History

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I can't blame anyone for being turned off by the hype, but I do hope people annoyed by the fandom are willing to give it a shot anyway. For my part, I've been delighted to see the show blow up the way it has.

Angel M Cazares wrote:
Good. I hope Oshi no Ko makes Sentai/HIDIVE tons of money, and they are able to invest it on licensing, their employees and service. I have heard that Sentai is a co-producer of the show. If that is the case, they couldn't have picked better.

Checking the end credits, the production committee is listed as Kadokawa, Shueisha, Doga Kobo, CyberAgent (in that order). Sentai's name doesn't appear.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
So... a pervert doctor dies, and is reborn as one of the children of a pop idol he worships.

Whack idea, but then I just wanna know more about who killed him and what kind of sicko got the idol pregnant in the first place.

I wouldn't say he's that much of a pervert, beyond "finding a young pop star cute and endearing." If you watch the actual episodes, it's heavily implied that the one who kills him is spoiler[the same crazed stalker fan who also murders Ai some 3-4 years later.] And as far as I can tell, the pregnancy and the steps to create it were entirely willing on Ai's part, for the sake of experiencing the kind of familial/parent-child love she lacked in her own upbringing. Kind of reminds me of the manga, The Otaku's Daughter, where the adult male lead meets his 9-year-old daughter conceived in an impulsive encounter with his senpai back in highschool spoiler[which from her perspective, was ultimately intended to make her/their pedophile male friend jealous -- ya can't make this stuff up! -- and she carried the pregnancy to term because she was an orphan and wanted "a blood relative." ]
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Chris Handsome wrote:
So... a pervert doctor dies, and is reborn as one of the children of a pop idol he worships.

Whack idea, but then I just wanna know more about who killed him and what kind of sicko got the idol pregnant in the first place.

I wouldn't say he's that much of a pervert, beyond "finding a young pop star cute and endearing." If you watch the actual episodes, it's heavily implied that the one who kills him is spoiler[the same crazed stalker fan who also murders Ai some 3-4 years later.]

Heck it's not even implied - toddler Aqua makes that explicit realization which is what leads to the scene with the star in his eye going black. spoiler[He realizes that the stalker was the same one who murdered him, and that it's impossible for someone like that to have done so without some sort of accomplice, and further conjectures that that accomplice must be their father who is probably in the entertainment industry and who he can find with a DNA test.]
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wouldn't say he's that much of a pervert, beyond "finding a young pop star cute and endearing."

He edges riiiiight up to the line, though. The story makes a point of establishing that.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel kind've ambivalent on Oshi no Ko so far. It keeps the positively-framed protagonist mostly on the right side of creepiness, and the writing is surprisingly witty, even occasionally a bit deep. The plot beats are familiar and predictable to the point of humdrum so far, though, and the convoluted resurrected-as-a-child thing has never really intrigued me as a narrative vehicle, so for me the show is pretty much riding entirely on the quality of its character writing.

Also, based on the first 20 minutes of the premiere, I expected to absolutely hate it. Only slowly began to win me back in those last 40, though win me back it has, so far.
moony_badger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I can't tell if my standards for male anime protagonists are just rock bottom, but I honestly never thought the doctor was perverted? The nurse calls him a lolicon for being a fan of a teenage idol, but closest we actually get to him being anything like that is that he says Ai is "so cute" when he first realizes she's his patient. He only ever acts professionally with her, never gets judgemental about her being pregnant past his initial shock, and is very accepting of her real personality that she shows him even though he's a fan of her idol persona. He never seems to think of her in romantic or sexual terms that I can remember. They could have gotten a LOT crasser with his reactions considering he was her gynecologist, a job which involves looking at a lot of lady bits; but he never gets weird, embarrassed, or excited about it in any way. There's a couple jokes that make me think the WRITER is kinda pervy, which like. I don't know Kaguya-samma well but I do know Scum's Wish! That part's not unexpected, and tbh it's still pretty lowkey compared to other shows! And yes, there's jokes about the breastfeeding, but I mean... Aqua does specifically refuse to do it. Like that is a thing he does. Honestly Ruby's relationship with Ai is a LOT weirder and more unhealthy lol, but I think that's a very deliberate narrative choice from what I can tell so far.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:05 pm Reply with quote
moony;badger wrote:
I can't tell if my standards for male anime protagonists are just rock bottom, but I honestly never thought the doctor was perverted? The nurse calls him a lolicon for being a fan of a teenage idol, but closest we actually get to him being anything like that is that he says Ai is "so cute" when he first realizes she's his patient.

Well, there's also this exchange:

Nurse: "But, if that Ai girl appeared and asked you to date her, wouldn't you?"
Gorou: "………Well, lunch break is over. Let's get back to work."

Aside from that, I think it's mainly the intensity of his mania, and fixation on her "cuteness", that comes across as suspect from a grown adult. Aside from that, you're right -- he treats her with respect and professionalism when she actually shows up. (Though he's not entirely professional -- I've seen it mentioned that he divulges info he really shouldn't when the stalker shows up.)

moony;badger wrote:
There's a couple jokes that make me think the WRITER is kinda pervy, which like. I don't know Kaguya-samma well but I do know Scum's Wish! That part's not unexpected, and tbh it's still pretty lowkey compared to other shows!

Kaguya-sama doesn't frame its characters sexually for the viewer, but it does make it clear that they're sexual beings, and some of them have kinks that make other characters really uncomfortable. So, Akasaka and Yokoyari are quite compatible on that front.

moony;badger wrote:
Honestly Ruby's relationship with Ai is a LOT weirder and more unhealthy lol, but I think that's a very deliberate narrative choice from what I can tell so far.

It was definitely a good call to make the creepier fan behavior come from the twin who's a young girl inside.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
Given the hype surrounding this show, it's no surprise it's HiDive's biggest launch ever. The show generated tons of free publicity. In fact, I'm surprised the mini-anime behemoth of AMC/Sentai was able to snag this title instead of the legit anime behemoth of Sony/Funi/Crunchy.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Good lord no one should ever get their opinions on anime from Twitter.
Blazi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic! Love seeing Hidive winning. Make more money, license bigger animes, oh yeah its all coming together.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:01 am Reply with quote
Makes sense to me. The first episode felt like a movie that told a huge story that could stand on its own. Kinda like the first episode of To Your Eternity which left people shocked. The animation also helps.

EDIT: Also I wouldn't say the doctor is a pervert at all. His early scenes with the patient were wholesome a lot when he said he would be the patient's first fan. The patient is charmed by this actually and directly tells him to marry her which result in a deadpan rejection. When he is reborn, the doctor is completely against taking advantage of the opposite gender like Kazuma from Konosuba or Rudeus from Mushoku Tensei.
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:31 pm Reply with quote
NG_Chloe wrote:
Good on HiDive. Hopefully they can take this boost and use it to improve their apps, make new apps, and improve their output so that they can be considered a proper Crunchyroll competitor

this one million percent.
In Sony land, the latest Bravia models come with a remote with a CRUNCHYROLL button. If you ever looked at the HiDive app on google/android TV, it looks like someone built it in 2010. It is really painful that the only non-Sony option in this streaming world is so far behind in terms of the user experience.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Chris Handsome wrote:
When I was looking into this, i noticed his actress(Yumi Uchiyama) also played a pervert who dies and is reborn(Rudeus).
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ooh we got a lot of classic users up in here.

I just got to see both episodes 1 and 2 and the drama has hooked me in.

That first ED just got another million hits
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2