• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
This is actually showing that her characterisation was done correctly.

I will absolutely accept this - it makes a lot of sense. I only watched my sister play a bit of the first game, but she loved it, so I was planning to give this more episodes to prove itself.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ah yes, history has shown that wherever women are in short supply, they take over the entire power structure of their societies. See colonial Australia, Alaska Gold Rush, early Western US settlement, etc. (Native peoples were mostly separate social orders, and also not experiencing a drastic sex ratio disparity)

"Valuable" ≠ "powerful." Kinda hard to rule when you're essentially in quarantine, or to maintain a patriarchy or even a noble patrilinear bloodline when few sons live beyond childhood. But things aren't that simple, especially in Edo-period politics and culture, and I think the anime (haven't read the source material) does a pretty good job of illustrating how complicated such a transition would be while making it reasonably believable.

I really enjoyed it, although there were a few places that were cringingly melodramatic. At those times it kind of reminded me of Tale of Genji at its soapiest. Smile

Those example weren't societies, they were temporary situation, nowhere near enough time for an entire societal structure to shift entirely.

From what I understand of japan society, adoption of heir was somewhat formalize so it would be easy to just adopt surviving man to continue the lineage. If anything, man who survive to adulthood would probably have a status boost from that alone for the idea that they would be more resistant to the disease.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:55 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
That's never stopped noble class from dominating peasant class, and that wasn't a 4:1, more like 100:1.

I don't want to get too deep into this thorny argument, but the above is the most relevant point here. Social change is unbelievably, depressingly difficult, and I find it hard to believe that patriarchy would magically reverse itself and become matriarchy just because there was a man shortage for a few decades. Oppression easily becomes internalized in its victims, discouraging dissent even when they have a huge numerical advantage, and times of crisis--such as a mystery illness wiping out almost half the population--tend to encourage conservatism, not radical change, because people don't want to try new things when an unplanned new thing is wreaking havoc.

Like, if it got so bad that the only remaining man was the shogun/emperor and he was a gigantic sexist, then yeah, he'd probably be thrown out. But it doesn't sound like this disease situation was that extreme. Women had to take over a lot of men's jobs in the US during WW2, and 80-odd years later, we still aren't even willing to have a female president...
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
ItsThatBriGuy wrote:
I suppose there's a reason certain genres of series are given to reviewers who openly dislike those genres, but I've never quite understood it.

all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Do you not understand how preview guide works?

He doesn’t seem to understand how the preview guide works, but then to be fair, the way he seems to be imagining it working makes a lot more sense than how it actually works.

That is to say, if a show belongs to a genre I’m into, then whether or not it appeals to someone who isn’t is really just noise that threatens to drown out the relevant observations of those who are actually qualified to make them. Of course my user ratings are comparatively inconsequential, but even still, you won’t see me here giving ratings to Jujutsu Kaisen or any such thing, because as someone who personally isn’t fond of shonen battle anime – even if I don’t have anything against anyone who is – I’m not qualified to tell people which shonen battle anime are worthwhile examples of shonen battle anime. I think if a show belongs to a genre a writer intrinsically dislikes, the way in which that writer can best guide the site’s readers towards an informed opinion on it is to abstain from writing anything about it at all.

Of course, that’s easy for me to say. Writers get paid to write… right? Wink
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
@MiniMarps

Well, yes, part of the draw for participating in preview guide is that even if this volume of output is suffering, it's a good opportunity to make bank. (Relatively speaking, that is. Nobody makes actual bank writing about anime.)

But my feeling is that even if a writer isn't into a genre, there's still value in their opinion to a wide audience. Continuing to work off idol anime, I gave UniteUp a couple seasons a very strong rating because even as a non-genre fan, I thought it was really well-done. Maybe idol fans only need to hear from other fans about what they think of the latest "cute girls trying hard and doing their best," but maybe a non-fan will see that review and decide to give something a try they wouldn't have considered otherwise. There are merits getting a number of opinions from a team with varying tastes.

For what it's worth, I meant it when I said I consider Love Live perfectly respectable, just not for me. It's not an active disdain like I have for some series.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Having read My Tiny Senpai, I have to say that there's no point to it other than it's a fluffy romcom. I don't think it warranted the controversy it attracted on Twitter from certain subsets (I'm looking at you Shojo Twitter and Romance anime hater Twitter), because it didn't seem to have anything that could spark controversy, at least in my opinion. (Also, the controversy reminded me of some cosplayer who was posing alongside a friend of theirs as Tatsumaki and Fubuki from One Punch Man. Do people see Tatsumaki as a child? Mad.) Also, the main reason I kept reading the manga isn't because of Katase, it's because of the chief. The chief's spoiler[gadfly nature towards Hayakawa, and his constant shipping of Shinozaki and Katase] made him standout to me.
RobTilInfinity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Both new animes today were so boring. Summer off to a bad start lol
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
I will absolutely accept this - it makes a lot of sense. I only watched my sister play a bit of the first game, but she loved it, so I was planning to give this more episodes to prove itself.

I hope they will deliver and you will have fun! Atelier Ryza as series is one of my favourite "feel good" games Smile
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Our Uber driver just had Undead Murder Farce on his iPad on the dashboard. I came here to look it up, and was pleasantly surprised to have caught the season preview guide on the very first day. I’m looking forward to watching it fully when I get home, as well the other series — those worth watching, that is.

And Nicolas mentioning Sankarea gave me an incredibly nostalgic blast from the past Very Happy I literally forgot that great title existed.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:57 pm Reply with quote
@MiniMarps

The preview guide takes a group of critics (read: anime fans who are literally so passionate about anime that they have made thinking and writing about anime their jobs) with dramatically different tastes and backgrounds and has them watch every new anime they can. From this, you'll hopefully be able to figure out if a show is worth your time watching--especially if it's not something you'd normally watch. For example: "I tend to agree with Richard on things so if he likes this one, I might too!"

If you've already watched a show, all the differing opinions might open you up to new viewpoints that increase your enjoyment of the series--or at least let you understand why some people are turned off by the show.

And as a part of the Preview Guide, I love how it introduces me to shows I never would have even considered watching. I generally get nothing out of idol/music group anime (unless they have transforming planes and a killer love story) but this season I actually went and watched the other two episodes of BanG Dream! It's MyGo!!!!! that are out after writing my preview guide article. Episode three is an entire episode about being on the spectrum told through a first-person POV. It's amazing and I never would have even known it existed without the Preview Guide.

So to sum it up, the preview guide isn't some meanspirited way to attack anime we don't like. It's just a group of people with different likes from walks of life giving their honest thoughts on the anime they watch.

And one last thing. You don't need to love an anime (or even the genre it belongs to) to be "qualified" to review it. Everyone is qualified to have an opinion on any anime--even if you've never seen a single episode of any anime before or since. It's okay to like the things you like and want more people to like them as much as you do--but they're not "wrong" if they disagree with you. They just have different tastes.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
I don't want to get too deep into this thorny argument, but the above is the most relevant point here. Social change is unbelievably, depressingly difficult, and I find it hard to believe that patriarchy would magically reverse itself and become matriarchy just because there was a man shortage for a few decades. Oppression easily becomes internalized in its victims, discouraging dissent even when they have a huge numerical advantage, and times of crisis--such as a mystery illness wiping out almost half the population--tend to encourage conservatism, not radical change, because people don't want to try new things when an unplanned new thing is wreaking havoc.

Like, if it got so bad that the only remaining man was the shogun/emperor and he was a gigantic sexist, then yeah, he'd probably be thrown out. But it doesn't sound like this disease situation was that extreme. Women had to take over a lot of men's jobs in the US during WW2, and 80-odd years later, we still aren't even willing to have a female president...

With a 4 to 1 ration of women to men, it means the male population was decimated. With no vaccine, male deaths would continue for years or even decades.

Just like in World War II, women filled in the jobs and roles men had, while the men were at war, but our world's men came back from the war, their world's men didn't, because they were dead. Society can change very fast (French Revolution as an example) especially if it has a driving force behind it. I'd say the death of most of the men in the world certainly fits the bill. It would be plain to see with the great death, that things were never going to be the same. With the loss of the male population, naturally women would see the opportunities ripe for the taking.
sadoldguy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I tried reading "Am I the Strongest" but after the beginning I swear it turned into a random events plot other than the Sienfeld plot of "our main character spends a lot of effort into making sure that he does not have to make a lot of effort".
pi8you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:43 am Reply with quote
Horimiya's back, those were some good kids, so it's nice to get some more time with them.

After watching the Ooku premiere Thursday night, I binged through the rest of it on Friday. Liked it well enough that I'd come back for more if Netflix decides to continue with it, but not enough that I'm in a hurry to track down the manga (though if Viz ever added it to their sub service...). Only getting that little bit of Yoshimune, and the very drab animation, were definitely the biggest drawbacks for me, but it was fairly captivating regardless.

Beyond that... oof, what a dire start. Yohane, Ryza, Ayaka, Am I Actually, and Tiny Senpai were all snoozers for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:55 am Reply with quote
Caitlin Moore re Ayaka wrote:
The mitama ... is divided into four aspects: the wild and violent ara-mitama; the serene and functional nigi-mitama; the happy and loving saki-mitama; and the wise and powerful kushi-mitama. ... I haven't seen them come up in anime or manga, even ones that are explicitly about Shintoism

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember Miroku explaining the four aspects in relation to the Shikon Jewel in Inuyasha. No idea which episode though.

I ffwd through My Chibi Senpai is Boring after the first few minutes, and found nothing of interest. Hard to imagine even viewers who are there for the boobs finding anything worth staying awake for. The repetitive and superficial dialog struck me more as something you'd find in a language primer than adults having a conversation. "Do your best!" "I do try to work hard." "Tell me when you work hard, so I can praise you." "I'll do my best to tell you when I work hard so you can praise me." "Good. It's a senpai's duty to (fill in the blank with platitudes)." Repeat last sentence every two minutes or as needed.

Hominy: Pieces was ok. Was never a big fan of the parent anime after the haircut and the kinky shit dropped in (not that I'm opposed to kinky shit, it just didn't seem to fit in this setting), but I'll probably watch this anyway, as it does have its moments. Maybe I can learn to like Hori a little better this go.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:12 am Reply with quote
Besides Horimiya it has been a lot of mid so far. Though I do like Ryza despite how dry it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 17