• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Click - January 27th - February 2nd

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imtherealshinji

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah the last post is correct - there is no emphasis in Japanese, there are long vowel sounds which are variously represented in Romanji (English alphabet) with either a bar across the letter, a double vowel or similar.
Hope this answers the Naruto pronounciation question
Cheesemon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

I don't think they'll have to worry about catching up with it though. It'll probably be about another year or so before they reach where the filler started, which will give Hurricane Chronicles enough time to get about 50 or so episode releases. And if they skip most if not all but the last one of the filler episodes, the whole series will end in the dub version at about the same time as it reaches around episode 50, so they can license Hurricane Chronicles with no worry of catching up to it.

That's actually the exact reason why I think Naruto had so many filler episodes: to give America a chance to catch up (the fillers started soon after Naruto was licensed right?).
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Cheesemon wrote:

That's actually the exact reason why I think Naruto had so many filler episodes: to give America a chance to catch up (the fillers started soon after Naruto was licensed right?).

They did, but that's not why they started fillers. They started fillers to make sure the anime wouldn't catch up to the manga. But nontheless, I don't think we will have to worry about the english dub catching up to the Japanise version for all the reasons I previously stated.

Sorry if this is getting off topic. If it is, I'll stop.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
maaaan, i couldn't see Trinity Blood last saturday! the stupid chanel had some technical problems and it was blue-screened for over 6 hours! thankfully, i was able to track down the dubbed episodes of Naruto and Bleach that were on, and i was told somewhat about what happened in this latest ep.

can anyone else fill in the blanks for me of this Trinity episode? Very Happy
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote
imtherealshinji wrote:
Yeah the last post is correct - there is no emphasis in Japanese, there are long vowel sounds which are variously represented in Romanji (English alphabet) with either a bar across the letter, a double vowel or similar.
Hope this answers the Naruto pronounciation question

God, the ammount of ignorance...Every language has an emphasis, or stress.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the rule (exceptions, etc), but as a rule of thumb, Japanese stress (not "emphasis") usually goes on the syllable 2 syllables back from the last.

Hence:
KA-ka-shi
SA-ku-ra

and

NA-ru-to

I honestly didn't think anyone would be discussing this topic, I thought the article description was just a joke...

Last edited by xanbcoo on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, double posted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2