• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Should ANN Report about Crass "Mangasploitation" ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
Anyone else having some difficulties voting? When I go to vote all I see is the question and cast my vote, yet there are no choices to choose from.

I get the same thing.

I'm thirding this. No poll options open up for me, either.

I think it's a trick question.
bluepita

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:33 pm Reply with quote
No options for me either.

I'd answer yes, but within reason. I think that's about what we have now, and I like it.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Same problems here, but my vote would've been no anyway. I'd rather not have to find any real news sandwiched between stuff that's thinly related at best.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
The question is too broad in my mind. I mean, what willl stop ANN for reporting about the "similarities" of W.I.T.C.H./Winx Club and them ripping off Sailor Moon?

I mean, i'm all for reporting of TOKYOPOP's stupid attempts to try to push their craptacular "OEL Comic" BS as manga, but where would it end?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have any options before, but it seems to be working now.
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I voted no because I do not want anime compaines to push there products on me.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just checked it out and it worked fine for me.

At first I checked, 'No', because I think it's crap. The books themselves may be good and all, but it's pure crap to call them manga or anime.

Then I thoguht better of it. It's better to be informed of these books and know they're not actually Japanese, than not to hear about them at all.

Hell, just to the right is the 'OEL manga', or I'd prefer American 'graphic novel', from Tokyopop Blank by Pop Mhan. Again, nothing against the book as I've liked the artist's work in the past, but I think it's pure crap that Tokyopop markets this stuff as manga.

Of course, it's not just Tokyopop. You have marketing bullcrap like "how to draw manga" by some weeaboo from Ohio or somewhere.

Now there are plenty of fans who disagree with me. That's all fine and good, but I still mainain my opinion that this AMerican manga idea is utter trash. It's cheap and overgeneralizes. Being manga influenced is one thing, but to actually steal the term manga just astounds me every time.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what exactly is this poll talking about? Can I get some examples? Confused
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Wait, what exactly is this poll talking about? Can I get some examples? Confused

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-02-12/ctv-unveils-degrassi-mangasodes

Personally, I don't feel that the poll refers to OEL/world manga.

-t
Apterous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't quite get the mangasploitation thing... can someone list an example?
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Of course, it's not just Tokyopop. You have marketing bullcrap like "how to draw manga" by some weeaboo from Ohio or somewhere.

[img]

It's not just "how to draw manga" books, there are even "how to cosplay" books. I found this thing at the library and briefly flipped through it, and the bum who wrote it is obviously completely clueless to what he's writing about. The book mostly focuses on how to make cheesy looking cat ears and how you can throw together random street cloths to make absurd looking original role-play characters. Some of the most inane characters the author recommends creating include a skunk nurse, a panda cowgirl, and a "devil" costume that's just a red bathing suit. The cartoon illustrations are a little creepy, too. The girls are big, beefy, and extremely masculine looking, and drawn in a distinctly western style that doesn't even attempt to mimic anime. (The art on the cover is COMPLETELY different than the stuff inside, it's very misleading.) There's also a section called "Popular Catgirls in Anime," and some of the characters listed are Misha from Pita Ten, Rabi en Rose from Di Gi Charat, and Ropponmatsu from Excel Saga. Not only does the author not know the first thing about cosplay, the poor guy must also be blind. He apparently can't tell the difference between a rabbit, a robot, and a cat.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I would have to say no because if it has nothing to do with anime/manga why report it if it's an anime news site? It seems more like a large promo companies put out to sell their product that they claim anime fans would like. As tempest said, why put out 50 articles dealing with crap and have 5 articles on anime? I also agree with The Xenos, they shouldn't call something manga because they have large eyes and crazy hair. I can see anime fans writing their own fan manga on the internet, but not companies producing their own "manga". I wouldn't call "manga" from anywhere out side of Japan manga because it clearly isn't. I wouldn't mind some anime-related stuff on here like Korean graphic novels, Japanese video games, and Japanese films, but don't promote it nearly as much as anime/manga.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I voted yes because I think that ANN has the discipline to report only the really bad incidents. (i.e. the Degrassi thing.) Also, I think the incidents themselves are newsworthy because they may affect how people view manga and, by extension, anime and we fans deserve to have some idea of what's happening on that front.

We should be informed about what is happening so we can either a) protest the madness, b) take advantage of it, or c) just laugh at the stupidity.

Basically I trust ANN to know what's newsworthy for the most part and while this is a grey area, I'm for knowing more rather than less. If nothing else, it's nice to see that companies think we anime and manga fans are an important enough consumer group that they're trying to trick us into buying their crap. We're becoming less of a niche group all the time. Cool
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I voted "no". I don't care about this stuff. It's not marketed at the same people who view this site, so I don't see the point in covering it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
I voted "no". I don't care about this stuff. It's not marketed at the same people who view this site, so I don't see the point in covering it.
But ANN isn't here for just us. There are many various types of people from all walks of life and career who will fine this site even on the most whimsical of interest in anime, or anime like style. It's how I found it back then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4