• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Licenses Air TV, Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYagami

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:07 pm Reply with quote
This is definetly a shock that came way out of left field and this will probably be the biggest surprise license until at least Otakon and Anime Expo. **Secretly crosses fingers in hopes of Monster being licensed this summer**
bluestrike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
I just wonder why they are picking up both? I haven't seen the movie, but the TV series is supposedly the better of the two.

I prefer the movie more than the TV series, having played the DC game.

But ADV... that was out of nowhere. I thought Right Stuf was on it.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Lol, dormcat. I had to look up what kagikko means. Now I have a new slang term that I can use, thanks to you. Smile

"Kagi" is Japanese for "Key," referring to the original creator of the visual novel. "Kagikko" can be roughly translated as "Sons of Key," referring to fans of all Key products (Kanon, AIR, Clannad, Planetarian, Tomoyo After, Little Busters; usually ONE is also included, as it was produced by the same group of people when they were still in Tactics).

Yeah, that's basically what I found when I looked it up (Google FTW!). Thanks though.

LightYagami wrote:
**Secretly crosses fingers in hopes of Monster being licensed this summer**

I do ya better: **crosses fingers, toes, arms and legs in hopes of Monster being licensed this summer** Wink

*falls over trying to walk* Gao ....

bluestrike wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
I just wonder why they are picking up both? I haven't seen the movie, but the TV series is supposedly the better of the two.

I prefer the movie more than the TV series, having played the DC game.

I see. Well, I was just going off the encyclopedia ratings anyway.

Last edited by Jedi General on Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Haha. Oh wow. I'm surprised that Air has even been licensed. By ADV, no less. Amazing. The lone moe-oriented show with little to zero appeal outside of it that I do honestly like and would buy the R1 DVDs to gets licensed. (Wasn't that big on the Kanon remake, suffice to say.)

It's unexpected, and it's pretty damn cool. Thank you very much, ADV.

DKL wrote:
As if that wasn't surprising enough, they got the movie too, which is probably something I'll dig since I'm sort of an Osamu Dezaki fan.

Meh, I found his use of split-screens and (over)use of melodrama to be far, far stronger in the Black Jack OVAs then in the Air movie, but that might just be me.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Meh, I found his use of split-screens and (over)use of melodrama to be far, far stronger in the Black Jack OVAs then in the Air movie, but that might just be me.

That's kinda what I was hoping to see in this AIR movie, actually; good to know it's there.

(and I'm impressed that you managed to peg down what makes Osamu Dezaki, Osamu Dezaki in a matter of sentences... you're awesome man)

But, maybe it only works with Black Jack, since it's kind of a manly show?

(I think it's manly anyway... but wasn't some of his roots in like Shoujo or something?)

I dunno anything about AIR, but I get the impression that it's kinda...

Uhh... girly (the kinda girly that tends to cater to males who are into the whole "moe" thing, such as myself)... so maybe that's why it wouldn't work for him?

I could be wrong though; I'll only find out when I get there.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
also did you notice that all the recent ADV licenses are short season series?

i guess they don't want to risk getting longer series and try to make as much money as possible in shortest amount of time...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
But doesn't this license cost an ungodly amount of money? (by anime-industry standards)
KrisEllieOphi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's certainly about time. I have no intention of watching the show in English, but I'm glad it's coming over here so that more people will see it. It's a really great show.

In other ADV news, they started publishing the Gunslinger Girl manga again. Seems like something's going on over there.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
(and I'm impressed that you managed to peg down what makes Osamu Dezaki, Osamu Dezaki in a matter of sentences... you're awesome man)

Well, his style as a director is easy to spot, at least as I see it. I didn't remember his name after watching the Black Jack OVAs (and its subsequent movie whic is just a longer OVA episode), but in the first few minutes of watching the Air movie, I just said right outloud, "HOLY SHIT, ONE OF THOSE BLACK JACK DUDE* DID THIS."

And it one was sentence, my friend. Razz

*Osamu Tezuka created the original Black Jack, but various spin-offs have been created from it, with only two different proprities being licensed.

Quote:
But, maybe it only works with Black Jack, since it's kind of a manly show?

Actually I think it works because the source material is by Osamu Tezuka. The God of Manga himself uses melodrama effectively overall, in my opinion, and when it pops up in his works I don't find it out of place or really forced.

Quote:
(I think it's manly anyway... but wasn't some of his roots in like Shoujo or something?)

Well, he established some aspects of the shoujo genre, but was a bit far from defining it. His inspirations were probably the furthest aspects from shoujo, thinking about it...

Quote:
I dunno anything about AIR, but I get the impression that it's kinda...

Uhh... girly (the kinda girly that tends to cater to males who are into the whole "moe" thing, such as myself)...

Hm. Can't say much one way or the other. But coming from someone who isn't all that hawt on moe, to say the least, I enjoyed it a lot. It has a good atmosphere to it, its technically a masterpiece as far as telvision anime series go (aesthetics about the character designs aside), and it has some really powerful final three episodes.

And yeah, Air was apparently going up for an insane price to license. For ADV to pay something like that (unless the price dropped, which it might have) and to bring it into a market where something like this series won't sell that well, I think of it more of a dangerous gamble than a safe bet.

Edit:

KrisEllieOphi wrote:
In other ADV news, they started publishing the Gunslinger Girl manga again. Seems like something's going on over there.

They also have volume four Yotsuba&! coming out this summer as well.
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

And it one was sentence, my friend. Razz

You're awesome, man.

HellKorn wrote:

Actually I think it works because the source material is by Osamu Tezuka. The God of Manga himself uses melodrama effectively overall, in my opinion, and when it pops up in his works I don't find it out of place or really forced.

Oh... good point; forgot about that.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Meh... the money could've gone towards something better... Ouran > Air. Actually for me, Busou Renkin > Air, or even Night Head Genesis > Air.

Aye, we're on the same boat, Tony. Let's hit the bars and cut our respective losses (you'll drink to Ouran, Busou Renkin, etc and I'll drink to Kemonozume and Windy Tales). Together we can fan off the flames undoubtedly headed our way to punish our indifference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
... I'll drink to Kemonozume and Windy Tales...

Heh, one step at a time, Cloe, or in this case with the licensing of Air, one niche at a time. Wink Heck, the DVDs for Kemonozume aren't even out in Japan yet. (Checked out Windy Tales after you advised me to, by the way, and I really enjoyed it. So lovingly peaceful.)

For some odd reason I'd picture Geneon USA getting Kemonozume... maybe because I tend to associate them with Madhouse (animation studio that animated the aforementioned series) for some inane reason.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
For some odd reason I'd picture Geneon USA getting Kemonozume... maybe because I tend to associate them with Madhouse (animation studio that animated the aforementioned series) for some inane reason.

Possibly. But I'd honestly be shell-shocked if Kemono ever got licensed on R1 (the reason I've pre-ordered the R2 DVDs without a second thought). Hell, Masaaki Yuasa's masterpiece film hasn't even been licensed yet, and I'd like to see that Stateside first. I just didn't mention it this time to try and avoid sounding like a broken record. Which turned out to be an ultimately futile endeavor anyway. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DKL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, a lot of Madhouse shows tend to come out of Geneon, but I think it has to do with the original producers or something.

But, all in all, I kinda just associate them with Geneon too... even though there technically is no real association between them.

Don't know who'd do Kemonozume though (as it's a really strange show, from the little I've seen of it)... maybe Sony?
Reikon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I would never have expected ADV to license this.

I didn't like the series very much though, so I most likely won't be picking it up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10