• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Complete Week with Friday Night Programs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Deleted stupidity.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
The only comedies I'm looking forward to more or are Frisky Dingo, Boondocks and Venture Brothers...I think it's time to put Birdman and ATHF down once and for all...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Getting caught up on Toonami Jetstream will cheer me up, though, at least until the aformentioned unfortunate day that Bleach will be thrown off the network in favor of Saul of the Molemen.
Dear God, anything but that show. I could watch a 72 hour marathon of Assy McGee over a single episode of Saul.

Shudders in horror at the thought of having to endure either fate.

I've always seen Cartoon Network's various anime programs as being the catalyst that took them from a very minor network to something worth talking about. It's sad that they are slowly becoming just another comedy show network. I guess eventually they'll just change their name to "Comedy Network Jr." or something and that will be the end of them.

If they want to make their own shows, can't they do more series like IGPX? At the very least just stop with the live-action shows filled with people who can't act and aren't funny unless you have the IQ of opossum roadkill.

Sorry if I'm ranting, but I'm bitter. The reason I pretty much only watch anime lately is because I wanted to escape from crappy shows like Saul. At the very least they should stick to animated programs since they are the freaking Cartoon Network.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
All right! Now they can air ten Inuyasha episodes a week instead of eight, every week until we all die! Bully idea!

Yeah, I think it's just going to be the same stuff from the other weekday shows, just on an extra day.

Yeah, that's what I think they will do as well. Although my watching of Inuyasha will be long over by then as the last episode is coming up pretty soon.

Quote:
I said goodbye to Cartoon Cartoon Fridays a long time ago.....

As did I, but only because the format of the block itself as well as the shows they put on there really started to get stupid. I mean, what happened to the good old days of Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Dexter's Lab? Yeah, sure they still show Ed, Edd, 'N Eddy, but it's last episode was on Saturday! (I am aware though that they do still show reruns of all these shows). Although Billy & Mandy is actually pretty funny too! Laughing (Yeah, I'm a comedy cartoon geek as well! Wink )
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
Getting caught up on Toonami Jetstream will cheer me up, though, at least until the aformentioned unfortunate day that Bleach will be thrown off the network in favor of Saul of the Molemen.
Dear God, anything but that show. I could watch a 72 hour marathon of Assy McGee over a single episode of Saul.

Shudders in horror at the thought of having to endure either fate.

The reason I pretty much only watch anime lately is because I wanted to escape from crappy shows like Saul. At the very least they should stick to animated programs since they are the freaking Cartoon Network.

While I myself hate Assy McGee, I will say I enjoy Saul for its actors and clever writing. It has an actual plot going on, the writing is such that it has innuendo but not too much and there's just sometimes random junk that I just get a kick out of. I like weird stuff like Saul, Tim and Eric and Sarah Silverman, they're all really in this in crowd type of comedy not everyone gets if you ask me.

Nonetheless, I really don't care what they'll show, it's something to throw onto my TV when I put on the sleep timer to call it a night, too bad they're waiting till JULY to do it.
PhatPhil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:
All right! Now they can air ten Inuyasha episodes a week instead of eight, every week until we all die! Bully idea!

Yeah, I think it's just going to be the same stuff from the other weekday shows, just on an extra day.

Yeah, that's what I think they will do as well. Although my watching of Inuyasha will be long over by then as the last episode is coming up pretty soon.

Quote:

As did I, but only because the format of the block itself as well as the shows they put on there really started to get stupid. I mean, what happened to the good old days of Johnny Bravo, Cow & Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Dexter's Lab? Yeah, sure they still show Ed, Edd, 'N Eddy, but it's last episode was on Saturday! (I am aware though that they do still show reruns of all these shows). Although Billy & Mandy is actually pretty funny too! Laughing (Yeah, I'm a comedy cartoon geek as well! Wink )

Small note, that whole crap about the "last episode" was just a gimmick. There's still a 6th season of Ed, Edd and Eddy, but ever since they changed the settings and included their school, I just gave up on it. It was a pitiful sign of the creator running out of ideas. Seasons 1-3 will personally be my favorites.

Back on topic, I really don't understand why they haven't repeated S-Cry-Ed recently or Neon Genesis Evangelion. I said this in the thread on E7's editing, they need to mix things up because EVERYONE, meaning the people watching the anime content, is PROBABLY getting sick of Inuyasha repeats.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
I see how they can put it on Fridays.

Cartoon Cartoon Fridays no longer airs on Cartoon Network. I wonder what happened.

They still schedule it from 7pm to midnight (EST), but the hole block seemed pointless anyway, they just show the same episodes they do all week and continue to show them all night long. Kids are not up at 3am on Saturdays watching Gym Partner repeats, maybe Williams Street finally convinced them of that.

I'm kinda curious what they're going to do with that 5am Saturday slot where they've kicked anime that they didn't have a place for like .Hack and YYH. It'll be a bit annoying if Roots hasn't finished by the time this goes into effect and they cancel it, the DVDs have only just begun to be released.

Emerje.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Celes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering myself what they will be airing on Friday. More Boondocks, Venture Brothers, and more Home Movies (repeats) would be cool...or even American Dad if they could do that...but for anime, I'm one of [AS]'s viewers that does not like any of the anime they currently air (with the exception of Bleach and Shin-Chan), so if they put on any anime, I would hope that it would be something new. (Or maybe even reruns of Eureka 7. I haven't seen too much of it but I would like to watch it from the beginning).

More than anything I wish they would take off Inuyasha, because I liked it when it first came on but now I'm pretty sure I've seen it through at least 5 times, lol. It has kind of lost its luster...
Takeshi777

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:32 pm Reply with quote
PhatPhil wrote:
BrothersElric wrote:
Fiction Alchemist wrote:

Quote:

Small note, that whole crap about the "last episode" was just a gimmick. There's still a 6th season of Ed, Edd and Eddy, but ever since they changed the settings and included their school, I just gave up on it. It was a pitiful sign of the creator running out of ideas. Seasons 1-3 will personally be my favorites.

Back on topic, I really don't understand why they haven't repeated S-Cry-Ed recently or Neon Genesis Evangelion. I said this in the thread on E7's editing, they need to mix things up because EVERYONE, meaning the people watching the anime content, is PROBABLY getting sick of Inuyasha repeats.

Adult swim is getting ready to piss me off with it's lack of new anime
the only new ones on right now are Blood+, Crayon Shin-chan,and BLEACH(I've already seen BLEACH and have watched the fansubs since Feb.2006) this sucks!

Plus Cartoon Network has some very stupid shows on
Velius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Most of the shows on CCF I thought were worthless. Glad to see that AS will be going 7 days strong. I personally don't mind if they put on non-anime shows. But just keep it to the good ones. The weekday stuff. Futurama, Family guy ect.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Velius wrote:
Most of the shows on CCF I thought were worthless. Glad to see that AS will be going 7 days strong. I personally don't mind if they put on non-anime shows. But just keep it to the good ones. The weekday stuff. Futurama, Family guy ect.

I agree with you. It's another weekday, so they should just keep Futurama and Family Guy on... I could care less about the rest of the schedule... those two shows are all I watch during the week. And on Saturdays, I watch Bleach and Blood+... and I would have to hate them with a very strong hate if they were to air Eva again... that show has been around forever, practically anyone who wanted to see it has already seen it, and it's just not worth putting on again, since I still would not watch the dub... however, I'm all for a long overdue rerun of S-cry-ed, or even rerunning E7, since it's annoying to wait for the DVD's to come out...
Saiyo_Chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Velius wrote:

I'd be more likely to watch CN on Fridays if they just ran a continuous marathon of Family Guy and Futurama than if they choose to show a variety of their crappy original shows (with the one possible exception of Venture Bros.) Like many, I have to ask; does anyone ever seriously watch these shows? Really? Really? I'd be surprised if they weren't likely to gain more viewers from old Tenchi Muyo reruns and Pokemon movies than shows like "Tom Goes to the Mayor". I haven't seen Assy McGee, and judging my the name alone, I think I'm avoiding the violent suicide of thousands of brain cells by doing so.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
The suggestion has been made to air the previous weeks' premieres on the Friday night slot again, so as to, I don't know, give people a refresher before the new episodes air the following night (Like, this week Blood+ 7 aired, so Friday they'd air it again before 8 premieres on Saturday). Of course, that would requiring [as] to care about its anime fans, which I don't foresee happening.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I've always seen Cartoon Network's various anime programs as being the catalyst that took them from a very minor network to something worth talking about. It's sad that they are slowly becoming just another comedy show network...

...If they want to make their own shows, can't they do more series like IGPX?

I agree, but sadly shows like IGPX did horrible in ratings. I moderately liked the show myself. But I am sure it left a bitter taste in CNs mouth. I can't see them funding anymore anime like they did IGPX in the near future. ;l

With that said, it would be interesting to see something like that happen again, only with [as] fully at the helm. Then again if you look at most of there recent original shows, we may not want that either. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Wait.

Doesn't this mean that Family Guy can be seen on every night of the week, now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4