• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blue Exorcist DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
I may have to give this another try. I watched the first two episodes on CR and the preview for episode 3 looked like a Soul Eater ripoff, so I dropped it. This could make it onto the "shows I dropped, that I'm willing to give a second chance to" list.

Well they are both action shonen but beyond that not much is alike except some visual similarities in artsyle.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
barrelroller wrote:
I dig what Aniplex America is doing with bringing anime here faster... but until they start doing Blu Ray for their shows and sets have the whole series, I'm passing on all of their releases.

If the fandom here is willing to pay ~$500 for the BluRay of the whole series and it's not released until March/April 2012 (near-simultaneous with the last Japanese volume) then that could probably be arranged.

Something tells me the fandom wouldn't go for that.
nottimkai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:56 pm Reply with quote
One of the things that I just adored about this show was the fact that it took the usual shonen tropes and tilted them slightly. Where in a show like Bleach there are characters that are obviously supposed to be friends later, but for now they hate each other and misunderstandings deepen the hate until everyone realizes they aren't all that different, in Blue Exorcist they just get right down to it, tell each other exactly why they are having an issue, and just work it out. Sometimes it is a little more complicated, but among the main cast, that isn't really the case.

This is such a breath of fresh air in my opinion. That was half of why I kept coming back to Blue Exorcist. The other half was the sometimes truly disturbing creature and character designs.

Damn, girl. You scareh!

Picking this up when I can.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Hey! I liked episode 6! I also like to cook, which is probably why I liked that episode!
same here. it had a charm to it, and I liked that they did enough research to pick Ukobach as the demon used in it (according to demonology he is associated with cooking, as it says he's the demon responsible for the invention of fried foods).
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
barrelroller wrote:
I dig what Aniplex America is doing with bringing anime here faster... but until they start doing Blu Ray for their shows and sets have the whole series, I'm passing on all of their releases.

If the fandom here is willing to pay ~$500 for the BluRay of the whole series and it's not released until March/April 2012 (near-simultaneous with the last Japanese volume) then that could probably be arranged.

Something tells me the fandom wouldn't go for that.

This is the truth people. Pretty much had the same thing spoken to me straight from the mouth of the Aniplex man himself. The best they can do for now is DVD, which is still awesome considering we are only FIVE episodes behind the Japanese release ATM. Now that's sweet!
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote
I am genuinely disappointed that Blue Exorcist doesn't have an English Dub..its absolutely absurd that Aniplex would miss such an important opportunity to dub an anime like Blue Exorcist that has such a vast amount of potential to appeal to mainstream audiences..it would sit comfortably along side Brotherhood on Adult Swim with ease..I'm not a fan of Aniplex at all..I'll buy the DVD releases in hopes by some miracle they will produce an English Dub in the future for Blue Exorcist..its quite apparent that a show of this magnitude deserves and needs an excellent English dub so others can enjoy its unique story..Aniplex gives Durarara and Madoka Magika English dubs but not Blue Exorcist..what the hell are they thinking..I wonder if Star Driver has any chance of receiving an English Dub?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
^
Star Driver = sub only.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/vsM1Vx17gUhaDLhbYs/browse/item/93212/4/0/0

Personally, I honestly think Aniplex knew this show wasn't going to be a big hit due to the ending and that's the reason they decided not to dub it. I must praise them for their wise choice. The only ones who would order this are the ones who don't mind the ending or preordered before the ending was made, so they at least got some people to dupe into buying this show before it officially ended, who thought it would end great, but didn't.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote
I've never even read the manga I could see where the series went its own way from the source material. I read up on the original story and it sounds like the anime went somewhere they can't come back from so I hope they don't do a sequel based on this with all original stories. Not every series can be Fullmetal Alchemist which only uses the manga as a guide at first, unlike BE which leads you to believe it's going to be faithful for half the series and then turns on you.

I'm going to hold out for Blue Exorcist: Brotherhood. Wink

Worst part about the second half is Rin doesn't get to do much and in the last few episodes he spends more time being restrained than anything. It's like the writer was a big Yukio fan and wanted him to be the star of the series since he gets most of the good scenes.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Not every series can be Fullmetal Alchemist which only uses the manga as a guide at first, unlike BE which leads you to believe it's going to be faithful for half the series and then turns on you.
um... logically speaking it was pretty obvious before it even started that it would have a gecko ending.

when the anime was announced the manga was still only around the mid-teens in terms of chapters and as of right now it only has 29 chapters out and the most recent arc (that starts around the time the anime really starts deviating from the manga seriously) isn't even done yet. it was even listed as being 25 eps early on (24 on some sites, but that is close) and it's impractical to expect seasons of filler for an anime adaption of a monthly manga series and while it's not as completely as unheard of as it use to be it is still atypical for an anime to take a break and start a new season/arc later (I know it HAS happened, it's just still not usually done because of how things work with TV timeslots in Japan).

obviously you have to expect some deviation at the end if an anime is scheduled to have a 25 ep run from the beginning, is based on a manga that only has just under 20 chapters at the time the first episode airs, and there's only one new chapter coming out per month and there's no indication of how long the latest arc in the manga will last.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:20 am Reply with quote
So I got my set in today and quickly popped it in after work...

Is it just me or does this encode look rather nasty? Their DURARARA!! DVD's looked very clean, but Blue Exorcist had compression artifacts swarming everywhere. Maybe they packed a wee bit too much on a single disc? Meh, who knows...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

Star Driver was also licensed by Bandai (from Aniplex). They don't dub quite a few of their releases these days.

We'll likely never know why they decided not to dub this. It's likely that DRRR only got dubbed because it got a TV run. They may have released it sub-only if they hadn't inked a deal with Adult Swim. Perhaps with no TV run, they didn't feel that this show would warrant one. Shounen shows without TV runs don't tend to be as successful. Not to mention, for all we know the release of DRRR may not have done as well as they expected which may have factored into their decision for Blue Exorcist.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
You called it cody. They are only going to dub the shows that they plan on getting broadcasted. I have it written in an email somewhere...

Guess Blue Exorcist didn't fall into that category?? Funny, because a show like that would probably do well on television here.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
You called it cody. They are only going to dub the shows that they plan on getting broadcasted. I have it written in an email somewhere...

Guess Blue Exorcist didn't fall into that category?? Funny, because a show like that would probably do well on television here.
you'd think so, anyway. heck, I was pretty much expecting Viz or maybe FUNi to try and get their hands on it and get it aired on AS before it was announced Aniplex of America was releasing it here. (TBH, I was HOPING for that, I really want this to become popular enough it'll be easy to find domestic goodies of it and lots of cool imported goods at conventions, even the free to attend ones.) I could really see a TV run of this boosting sales quite a bit given it has pretty much all the earmarks of a successful shonen series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2