• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How long did it take you to learn how to read Manga?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
It's been awhile, but while it was a bit awkward at first, I think I took to it easily enough before too long.

I've never tried to read an English graphic novel the wrong way...but I have on occasion tried to read the comic strips in the newspaper from right to left Razz
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
When I started reading manga IN AMERICA, it was still printed "flipped," because they thought people were too dumb to read it in the original direction ...

Yeah, I'm old.

I remember those days myself. Guess that makes me a dinosaur too. I still have all my original Oh My Goddess manga printed Western style. I keep them as mementos basically, though I do buy the new re-releases in the correct format.

It actually didn't take me long at all to learn how to read manga. I mean honestly after my first traditional manga in the correct format I had it down. I mean you're just basically reading it in reverse, it's not like I had to learn Pig Latin to understand it. Just read backwards from how I normally read.
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Patachu wrote:
When I started reading manga IN AMERICA, it was still printed "flipped," because they thought people were too dumb to read it in the original direction ...

Yeah, I'm old.

I remember those days myself. Guess that makes me a dinosaur too.

That makes three of us!

Psycho 101 wrote:
I still have all my original Oh My Goddess manga printed Western style. I keep them as mementos basically, though I do buy the new re-releases in the correct format.

I'm doing the same thing, too. THe only other manga I've double-dipped on is the new unflopped omnibus version of Gunsmith Cats.

As to how long it took me to get used to unflopped manga, not *too* long. I remember not having much trouble with the unflopped Dragon Ball Z comics that Viz put out. The first GN I bought unflopped was Love Hina, and I'd say I probably had the hang of it by the end of that first volume.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FeralKat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I remember those days myself. Guess that makes me a dinosaur too.

Ahaha. I guess I'm am old hag, too. Very Happy Ah, those were the old days... Manga had the price tag of $17-$20 a pop with included tax. I remember I would get $10 a week from my mom and I would scrimp and save until I had a enough. When she gave me money for food or special occasions, I would starve or deprive myself just to buy more manga. Shocked
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
You aren't that old. I started reading manga just around the time when the shift to unflipped was being made and it wasn't that long ago.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I started reading manga right before Tokyopop and Viz started flipping their manga. My first manga were, I think, a volume of Pokemon and some Gundam Wing manga (all flipped). They started releasing most to all of their manga unflipped shortly after that.

Anyway, its been a long time so I don't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I got used to it pretty quick. I don't recall having any trouble with it.
Cherry T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:11 am Reply with quote
i wasn't that confused because i used to read the frensh version of a mangas and it was printed from the right to the left.but then the american version of naruto...i think it was printed from the left to the right(i can't really remember!) Confused
Matrix_Explosion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
For Me, I Read To First Two Chapters From Left To Right Before I Figured It Out. Then It Took Me About 3 To Four Chapters To Get Used To It.
vincentthecon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
Haha I am not old enough to remember these "flipped" days so the other day I was at the library and I got the manga Dark Angel by Kia Asamiya. the art on the front cover looked kind of old school to me but I didn't really think anything of it until I started to read it, automatically from right to left, and about 10 pages in I am totally lost, I'm sitting there trying to rationalize what I had just read and it made absolutely no sense, so I went to the "front" of the book and there was no page saying STOP! You are reading the wrong way yadda yadda yah and I was like ok well then, and so I finally figured out that the manga was flipped so everyone else gets confused by manga style and I am just screwed over and actually get confused reading the way I usually read...ah well just my luck Laughing
Zirdante

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Well instanly :p In arabic we read from right to left as well so it came naturally.
jetz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
It didn't take me too long to learn how to read manga, since instructions came with the first manga I read Laughing It said "traditional manga is read from right to left, etc etc" Although it took me a while to get used to it and learn how to do it completely. Even though you usually have to read from right to left when reading manga, there are times when you have to start from the upper right, and that confuses me sometimes (even now Laughing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote
When I first read Fushigi Yugi, I was confused for a couple pages but I got use to it and now it is just natural. I've read the instructions in the back page before I start.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Lol, I started reading manga during the "flipped" days. I still have a bunch of flipped Magical Pokemon Journeys and even the flipped version of Ranma 1/2 volume 1. When companies began to release manga in the new, traditional format, I realized I had to read right to left and had no problems from there on.
stuckinfresno

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:

I've done that before :p I once marathonned about 50 chapters of FMA, then I tried to go do my history homework. For a moment I wondered why the book was printed the wrong way Anime hyper

And now I hate flopped manga. It confuses me >.>

Yay! I'm not alone. Your right about the flopped mangas. Inuyasha (it's a sentimental favorite) is still flipped and is so confusing to read. Oddly, it takes me longer to read flopped manga than unflopped.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
...but I have on occasion tried to read the comic strips in the newspaper from right to left Razz

I have soooo done that! Laughing

I stumbled through my first volume, but I had the basic idea of what I was doing the first time around. When I read the second volume though, I had the hang of it. Now it really is second nature, and I have been known to read things backwards before, even non-graphic works, like textbooks. Go us, stuckinfresno!

I started reading manga around the time of the change-over, too. I read stuff that was flopped and un-flopped. So, I'm old, too?? Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4