• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Manga Printed in 23 Nations, Anime Aired in 60+

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Good lawd, that's a lotta Narutards! Laughing
Yep, and I'm proud to be one of them. ^^

And give Viz some time; I'm sure they will license Gintama like they will license Vampire Knight. They just haven't yet; Viz isn't as fast as Funimation at licensing anime titles left and right. =P
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Depends: if we're talking about someone who really loves the Naruto series, then I'm definitely a Narutard. But if we're talking about someone who thinks Naruto is the best ever and doesn't even really watch any other anime, then I definitely don't fit that description (I think Naruto's my 14th favorite anime or so).
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
GATSU wrote:

And give Viz some time; I'm sure they will license Gintama like they will license Vampire Knight. They just haven't yet; Viz isn't as fast as Funimation at licensing anime titles left and right. =P

I don't want Viz to touch Gintama. They have undoubtably the worst track record of all the R1 companies. You know what to expect from 4Kids, or (now defunct) Bandai Visual, with Viz it's always a gamble if a show will even be Uncut, let alone actually be completely released.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I don't want Viz to touch Gintama. They have undoubtably the worst track record of all the R1 companies. You know what to expect from 4Kids, or (now defunct) Bandai Visual, with Viz it's always a gamble if a show will even be Uncut, let alone actually be completely released.

I dunno, the Death Note dub was pretty good. Always delivered powerful emotion, specifically with Light's voice actor (Can't remember the specific name, only that he voiced Oda Nobunaga in a lone episode of Inuyasha) and considering the dub came from that Ocean Group or whatever it's called, it was definitely above average.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
You can't stop Yugioh and Pokemon, they keep going and going. I find it funny to hear about every time when Yugioh comes out with a new series, they come out with new ways to duel. Right now it's dueling on bikes, but I really look forward to what they'll have for the next kind of dueling. One Piece will start getting some love when it crosses the 60 volume barrier and beyond.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:34 am Reply with quote
Light's dub actor is Brad Swaile, whose longest roles was being the second voice of Lan Hikari in MegaMan.Exe and Teen Gohan in Canadian DBZ dubs.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
GATSU wrote:

I agree about being completely released, but what anime have they had edited on DVD (so Naruto doesn't count)?

But regardless, I do think Funimation would work better with a show like Gintama.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Funimation wouldn't be bad since they could get the same people behind Shin Chan to give it a complete rewrite and make it better suited for its target audience

I dunno if that much of a rewrite is needed. Granted, I'm only judging by the 3 manga volumes I've read so far, but the humor for the most part seems like "anyone can understand" stuff, often from the pure insanity of the situations the characters find themselves in (spoiler[like the guard throwing the package they were persuaded into delivering, and it blows up!!! Ha ha, the look on their faces!]. They'd have to work around the occasional cultural barrier, but I don't think that much really needs to be re-written.

But then again, it's been a few months since I read it, so maybe there were more obscure cultural references than I remember. Maybe it's time for a re-read!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Depends: if we're talking about someone who really loves the Naruto series, then I'm definitely a Narutard. But if we're talking about someone who thinks Naruto is the best ever and doesn't even really watch any other anime, then I definitely don't fit that description (I think Naruto's my 14th favorite anime or so).
I'd say a Narutard is one who watches the show constantly and knows all about it. Naruto is my number one favorite anime, but I don't think it's like the best in the universe (I know, blasphamy!); I know there are other anime out there that can kick the crap out of Naruto anyday. =P
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Onsokumaru wrote:
I guess the Japanese love their long running anime.

As do many other nationalities it would seem judging from the summary of the article Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2