• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Domo Hired as Halloween Mascot for Target Stores

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Cool although this doesn't really affect me. Target doesn't exist in Canada.

K-mart's still around? Huh I though they died since all the ones around BC went out of business a decade ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ibmman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The video is actually pretty darn good, and the dub (though they don't say much) is pretty much equivalent to what I imagine the Japanese original voice actors would have sounded like in English.

And it was done by the original Japanese production team, it looks like.

Having worked at a Target, I'll say that while it's probably a nicer place to work than Wal-Mart, the stupid call buttons gave me nightmares after a while.
"Guest assistance needed near video games. Who is responding?"
"Guest assistance needed near video games, 2nd attempt, who is responding?"
Ad infinitum.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I work at the new Target in La Habra. In fact, just today we (well, it was just myself) were setting up the Halloween products and lo and behold, I see a 4 foot tall Domo plushie hanging from the ceiling, carry his own trick-or-treat bag and wearing a black eye-patch. It was pretty surreal.
According to someone that worked at the old Target store they had Domo products for sale last year. I know we had a few Domo note-books and other products for the back-to-school sale. And an abundance of Hello Kitty products, too
ibmman wrote:

Having worked at a Target, I'll say that while it's probably a nicer place to work than Wal-Mart, the stupid call buttons gave me nightmares after a while.
Ad infinitum.

Just video games? There's a call button for each game system where I work at. I keep telling them you only need one, if any. We do have our own electronic check-out lane too, but I guess management thinks we're not busy enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Yay! If I go in there with my Domo school bag, i'll really be in Target style.
lol.

I'll be sure to shop at target more this Halloween. As for them not being around, they are building this crazy double decker Target about 15 miles from my house. The store is on top of the parking garage. That may not be new, but it is for me- at least with Target.

As for KMart, we have those too. They built a huge one about 2 minutes from my house, and its....ok. I don't go there much though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't ask for a better Halloween mascot. Now he's not so much of a Japanese only type thing.
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
YESSSSS! I am so going to Target after work tomorrow Very Happy
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
I work at the new Target in La Habra. In fact, just today we (well, it was just myself) were setting up the Halloween products and lo and behold, I see a 4 foot tall Domo plushie hanging from the ceiling, carry his own trick-or-treat bag and wearing a black eye-patch. It was pretty surreal.
According to someone that worked at the old Target store they had Domo products for sale last year. I know we had a few Domo note-books and other products for the back-to-school sale. And an abundance of Hello Kitty products, too
ibmman wrote:

Ad infinitum.

Just video games? There's a call button for each game system where I work at. I keep telling them you only need one, if any. We do have our own electronic check-out lane too, but I guess management thinks we're not busy enough.

If the worst you had at Target was an ineffective paging system, then being a former employee of Wal-Mart I can assure you that working at Target is paradise compared to working at Wal-Mart.

As for the person who seemed to think Target was dead, I guess that may depend on where you live. Not that I'm suggesting this person lives in a small town, but I've seen some small towns where the local Wal-Mart is quite literally the ONLY store around. Near me they just openeda Super Target, though it's not getting in half the business that the local Super Wal-Mart does.

As for K-Mart, it's funny, my boyfriend seemed to think they were dead too, but there's one about a block away from my house and a Big K not too much farther. It was fun to prove him wrong when I managed to score several coupons for free bags of halloween candy from K-Mart. Totally hope to find those again this year. =)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FWNW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
abynormal wrote:
Things like this are why Target will always be better than Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart is always better than Target in my area.

time to get the Akatsuki Costume out for Halloween Anime smile

If you can define "better" as greed, discrimination, poor employee working conditions, child labor, and overall sloppiness, then sure why not... walmart is better.

F^ck walmart and their retarded new logo that doesnt make any sense!
GenshikenServo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I was at Target tonight and the sight of Domo-kun everywhere made me very happy.
Anime smallmouth
Grico

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, some people might actually get my Domo-kun shirt now. I'm not sure if that is really a good thing or not. Regardless, I will probably be picking up some domo-kun stuff, mostly likely when it hits 50% post-holiday. It's a shame they don't have a costume, I would definitely buy that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2