• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-11-21]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
Now I don't claim to be a master of the language, but I do actually possess a degree of proficiency in Japanese, and from what I've seen, I have found that official subs are in fact better than fansubs, both in accuracy of translation and in grammar and spelling. These elitist kids need to find something else to be "elite" about.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
The worst thing about fansubs is when people take the fansubs as the exact dialogue, and any dub/sub that doesn't have it is wrong. The best example is Gurren Lagann, because the Gurren Lagann said "make the impossible possible", instead of "Go beyond the impossible"

As for most unlikeable anime lead, its Lelouch Vi Britannia, as annoying as shonen protaganist are most of them are they are still children, Lelouch is an adult and he still acts like a complete idiot half the time. Its a shame that people like Euphemia have to pay the price for that douche.

and yes I know about the ending, and even then that was a douche move.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:45 am Reply with quote
blackstardrag84 wrote:
The stream of untranslated terms in fansubs are the direct result of some fans thinking it just 'sounds cooler' and in some cases I can't really disagree with them. Many attack names just sound dumb when translated literally.

In defense of the fansubs of Bleach/Naruto/Death Note, have you seen the dubs? Last I checked zanpakto/jutsu/shinigami are not in Webster's.

Yeah, translating the names of combat techniques can be a problem, and I'm not sure whether I'd want names left untranslated or not (the only two big fighting series I follow are Bleach and D. Gray Man, and I read those which makes the problem a little less apparent). What I'd really prefer was that the technique calling tradition was abandoned all together by shonen, but we all know that's never going to happen (along with in-battle monologues).

I'd argue though that for Death Note specifically, the translation of 'Shinigami' to 'Death God' isn't problematic; it doesn't sound clumsy, more or less fits the bill for what Shinigami do, an -- perhaps most importantly -- doesn't take five seconds to say (not that Shinigami does, but you get what I mean).

blackstardrag84 wrote:
Anyway most of the complaining I'm sure has to do with bad grammar (inexcusable for a company selling a product) or sometimes stilted dialog.

Few of the complaints I've seen have to do with bad grammar, and honestly major grammatical errors in official subtitle releases are so few and far between from my experience that it's a baseless arguement for fansubs. The problem is equally prevalent if not moreso in fansub releases, and I'm talking about good groups.

Stilted dialogue seems to be a big issue for fansub supporters when comparing to official releases, or more generally that the official releases don't capture the "feel" of dialogue. This is such a hypocritical argument it's not even funny; stilted dialogue is a frequent treat for me when watching fansubs, a problem which obviously stems from over-transliteration -- again, even the good groups don't escape this.

penguintruth wrote:

Vash the Stampede (for his no-kill stance)

This didn't annoy me about Vash actually, ditto for Kenshin. However, Masanobu Hojou's no-kill stance drove me up the wall in Gantz.

Last edited by Big Hed on Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
As for most unlikeable anime lead, its Lelouch Vi Britannia, as annoying as shonen protaganist are most of them are they are still children, Lelouch is an adult and he still acts like a complete idiot half the time.

Lelouch is only seventeen as far as I know.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:56 am Reply with quote
People and their fansub crap doesn't ever change, does it? Answerfan question: I would have to say Lain from Serial Experiments Lain. Watching her have to do stuff in cyberspace and the all the things she was doing in the real world, I was getting irritated being bored because of the progress she was making.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
As for most unlikeable anime lead, its Lelouch Vi Britannia, as annoying as shonen protaganist are most of them are they are still children, Lelouch is an adult and he still acts like a complete idiot half the time.

Hey, by shonen standards, a 17-year-old hero/heroine is ancient Very Happy

Anyway, I always thought Lelouch was badass; he never annoyed me. Haxzaku, on the other hand, was vastly irritating at times, but even he became cool in the end.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Anyway, I always thought Lelouch was badass; he never annoyed me. Haxzaku, on the other hand, was vastly irritating at times, but even he became cool in the end.

His 17 at the start and 18 during the second, my point being that Lelouch should be mature enough not to act like a half wit half the time, and do things like abandon your army, yell at soldiers than kill them because your ego needs to be satisfied, or abandon everyone just because his ego demanded spoiler[ that he let himself be killed because he ordered 10 soldiers kill themselves.]

Please note the spoiler is based off an interview with the writer where he mentioned that one of the reasons he did what he did was because of pride.

As for Suzaku his just as bad, his a moron with super powers, and does idiotic things like help the incredibly evil Britannians try to take over the world just because he wants to die.[/spoiler]
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:05 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:

Granted, but he's still not an adult by most real life standards.

Big Hed wrote:

We are in agreement once more.
sailorsean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
awww thats a shame... i actually wrote what anime i wanted to live in too, it took me about a full hour to right it out, i wrote how i would want to live in the aria anime and how beautiful the anime is, i didn't have a chance last time to write about it because i wasnt sure then but now this time i am sure, and i wanted to see my article up too... *sighhh* Crying or Very sad Sad
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Please note the spoiler is based off an interview with the writer where he mentioned that one of the reasons he did what he did was because of pride.

Oh, really? Nice bit of extra info. Regardless though, I think it was made pretty clear that the main reason Lelouch spoiler[ordered his own assassination] was to realize a better world.

Ai no Kareshi wrote:

Hehe true, just thought I'd throw that out there.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
Here's my thought on people who complains translation of Anime. If you don't know Japanese, then don't pretend like you know it.
Being a Korean-American who read and write the Korean language, I happen to watch English subtitled Korean drama shows on International channel from time to time. Korean being my first language, I can tell the difference between the spoken line and subtitled line of that drama show. Even I wouldn't complain about Korean drama's subtitles like some rabid anime fans.

Being that said, the only people who can make objective claim on Anime translation is...who else? The native Japanese speakers who lived in that country for at least a decade.

When I watch subtitled Anime shows, I really don't care about the difference between translated line and spoken Japanese. After all, I don't speak Japanese nor have I lived in Japan.

The thing is that you whining fans don't speak Japanese to begin with, and probably never seen native Japanese speaker unless you took a trip to Japan or nearby Japantown. Or you know a Japanese exchange student attending your school.

Those fansubbers who omit certain lines? That's because they're not smart enough to translate stupid dialogue of "Dragon-phoenix-super-duper punch!" into smart sounding English subtitle. Also their translation skill isn't good enough to handle complex Japanese vocabulary and technical jargons.

Last edited by reanimator on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:20 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Oh, really? Nice bit of extra info. Regardless though, I think it was made pretty clear that the main reason Lelouch spoiler[ordered his own assassination] was to realize a better world.

Ai no Kareshi wrote:

Hehe true, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Its from the continue 42 interview where he says that if you consider Lelouch's pride and the first episode than the ending is logical, he says nothing about saving the world. Of course it might say it in a different part of the interview.

I will also say that I know that 18 is the age for adulthood, meaning that he was only an adult by the second season, but I still expect a 17 year old to show more maturity than Lelouch showed me. Who the hell goes up to soldiers and begans lecturing them just to hear the sound of his own voice?
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:30 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I will also say that I know that 18 is the age for adulthood, meaning that he was only an adult by the second season, but I still expect a 17 year old to show more maturity than Lelouch showed me. Who the hell goes up to soldiers and begans lecturing them just to hear the sound of his own voice?

To my knowledge, the fact that Lelouch is extremely pompous was never in doubt here. Nevertheless, despite his twisted personality, I actually find him more mature than your average shounen protagonist (even though he may be only a year or two older than most). At any rate, I'm not going to have a lengthy debate about the subject here. If you feel that strongly against Lelouch, by all means, write in about it. Wink
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:39 am Reply with quote
Love the bunny. He was channeling my emotions too. Twisted Evil Hehehe.
Machius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:13 am Reply with quote
I've self taught myself Japanese for over 5 years, I lived and taught English in Japan for a year and I'm currently half way through a University Japanese major. That said I don't claim to be fluent enough to properly translate or critique fansubs.

Occasionally you do get glaringly obvious mistakes but these are usually in the so-called speed subs and what do you expect from something done within a few hours of the RAWs release.

Most fansubs are quite decent quality and most official translations are better(for the simple reason that their translators are qualified, have access to the original script and lack the sense of urgency that fansub groups have). The only gripe I ever have with official translations are those like funimation who often alter the content to either make it fit into a specific rating bracket or to make it more westernized.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8