• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Strait Jacket DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I thought Casey was rediculously over the top and unfair panning 'Origin: Spirits of the Past' and the 'Haruhi Suzumiya' manga, which are both far better and more worthwhile titles than she could ever give them credit for. I honestly get the impression she's one of those critics who mainly enjoy just writing bad reviews for something that's generally 'not great' and rolling with it. I watched 'Strait Jacket' on the Sci-Fi Channel, and while I think she was still a little overly harsh, I definitely agree it wouldn't have been worth my money to make a part of my library. For what it was, it was something to record on my DVR and a way to kill time one afternoon
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
toddc wrote:
Also, the whole "you're not the audience" argument is and always will be a pitiful defense. Crap is crap.

Isn't that just a little condescending? Some of us like crap.
lol.
Isn't it weird though that people (myself included) love to jump on the bandwagon and hate on whatever, but whenever there's something great to talk about the passion just isn't the same? You'd think it would be constructive to just move on and find good stuff, but the compulsion to just flame get's all of our energy.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I never did find all this, but by the vehement bashing, I guess it's a good thing, because I never watched any of it. Still, I was expecting the animation to be at least decent, apparently not, though.
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with watching it because of Crispin Freeman. You can always pic his voice out of anywhere! ^__^

I also saw this on the Sci-Fi Channel, and well, it was okay for the most part. I did like the animation though, but the story was kind of cliche.

One part that made me reaaaaalllly happy was that they played a song by a french band (which I love lol) with a japanese name: KYO. I was flipping out because it was in the background and I had to listen to it a little more and then I squee'ed a little bit. Anime smile;

Interesting though.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm with Anime World Order...this review was waaay too harsh. Was the plot anything revolutionary or compelling? Not at all, really. But it was a visually-appealing, violence-packed, genuinely-fun diversion. And despite what Casey would have you believe, the dub was decent at worst and downright good at best. Not every series or movie has to be an intellectual tour de force or intense character study (and lord knows I love those sorts of series too). Sometimes, you just crave a guy wielding a gun that blows a hole through half a hospital, or slicing and dicing the limbs off a giant bug monster in a beautiful gory mess. Like AWO said, this is the sort of product that's been sorely lacking in anime over the past several years. We need a few more throwbacks like this that are over-the-top and fun for the sole purpose of being entertaining.

(Perhaps what amused me most about watching this on Sci-Fi was the fact that someone at the network had deemed it fit to receive a TV-PG rating...despite the fact that a character was graphically beheaded within the first twenty minutes or so. Very Happy)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I saw it on Sci-fi as well. Not too good, but not overly bad either. Got a little annoying with the gore fest though
jsieczka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Casey was a bit hard on the show, while it wasn't a blockbuster it did have some good points.
The voice acting was good, it was the dialoge that was bad. Well I guess that bad is being a bit nice, it was lame and uninspired. B for the acting, a D for the script.
The art was better then most of the shows that were produced in 2007 or 2008 for that matter. B+
The animation quality was lacking for an OAV, but it was better then the average TV show. C+ (OAV's should be at least a B or better)
I agree on the story it was really bad with very few high points. This is made worse by the fact that it did have potential. If it was made into a TV show and had more time to explain everything it would have been better. D
The music was there, it really didn't add anything to the show, but it was not a distraction either. C.

Ultimately I sat down and watched the show from beginning to end with no urge to turn it off, nor was I engulfed in the story past the first 10 min. Would I buy the show? No, not a chance, but it was worth a watch. For someone who did not watch it on Sci-Fi I would say it is worth a rent. It is only one disc so it does not take up that much space in a Queue, nor does it take long to watch.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
"It wasn't good and I didn't like it but it wasn't THAT not good!"
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
"It wasn't good and I didn't like it but it wasn't THAT not good!"

"And of course it's CASEY so we automatically will criticize the review because she hasn't liked every other thing we like."

Zac, you're always a breath of fresh air when these posts get stupid. Laughing
Maur

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
lesterf1020 wrote:
I just want enough info to decide if something is my taste or not. Then you can judge and insult the anime to your hearts content.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. If you're going to review something, do more than lament about how much you disliked it. Crap may be crap, but at least have enough sense to distinguish crap from your own personal preferences.
toddc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

Isn't that just a little condescending? Some of us like crap.

I would imagine that, if you're anything like me, you enjoy crap when it's visually striking, ridiculously excessive, or amusingly bad. Strait Jacket is none of these. It's just cliched and tedious.

Had it been made fifteen years ago, Strait Jacket would be dismissed as swiftly as Dark Warrior, Bounty Dog, and other mediocre 1990s video releases. Today, however, some will rise to its defense just because it vaguely resembles the sort of thing they'd really like to see. Yet tolerating Strait Jacket will not help bring back those halcyon days of endearingly violent OVAs. It'll just encourage people to make more Strait Jackets.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Maur wrote:
If you're going to review something, do more than lament about how much you disliked it. Crap may be crap, but at least have enough sense to distinguish crap from your own personal preferences.

I think she gave very clear reasons what she thought it was bad: that it was cliched, didn't have a complete storyline, had a bad dub (haven't heard it, can't judge), etc.

Sometimes people thinks things are bad not because it's "not their taste" but because IT IS ACTUALLY BAD.

Your job as the dissenting party is to say why it isn't.
ginji-2007

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
I don't even read the reviews anymore most are bias opinions that I'll just give me the wrong impression of a show before i even see it. This review is a perfect example I might not have got to enjoy this if I had red the review first. And if I really want to know more about what a show is going to be like I just watch a few minutes on a streaming site and that usually does the trick.
Maur

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Sometimes people thinks things are bad not because it's "not their taste" but because IT IS ACTUALLY BAD.

Your job as the dissenting party is to say why it isn't.

I have already done that.

My point is that this is not the case, because Strait Jacket is NOT ACTUALLY BAD.

ginji-2007 wrote:
I don't even read the reviews anymore most are bias opinions that I'll just give me the wrong impression of a show before i even see it.

Precisely. Although the Anime World Order podcast got the review spot on.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My point is that this is not the case, because Strait Jacket is NOT ACTUALLY BAD.

I know, its not a master piece or anything, but its certainly not as bad as what some people are saying. It still about a 1000 times better than all the moe crap being put out nowadays
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3