• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Doll Underpants Vending Machine Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Not creepy whatsoever, nosiree. Rolling Eyes
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather have a Madoka figure itself. Shaft doesn't really need another Mercedes S600 company car. Madoka's probably given them enough money to buy 60 of them anyway.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
A doll with removable clothes also has underpants as an accessory...interesting. Well interesting to people that aren't aware of dolls with removable clothes.
sepherest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
As strange as this is doll clothing can get pretty expensive, so I guess at around $6.50 that's a good deal.... Confused
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
A doll with removable clothes also has underpants as an accessory...interesting. Well interesting to people that aren't aware of dolls with removable clothes.

Those are actually common.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
As strange as this is doll clothing can get pretty expensive, so I guess at around $6.50 that's a good deal.... Confused

They probably save money this way by not having to share profits with a store. Japan sells lots of stuff in vending machines that we might not expect.

I was tempted to compare this to having a vending machine for kids to buy clothes and accessories for their Barbie or GI Joe dolls, then I recall that these dolls (they're called "fashion dolls" or "dollfies") are not kid stuff, they are costlier even than PVC figures. I saw some featured in an issue of Megami magazine and looked up prices...ouch.
Citizen Klaus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:

I was tempted to compare this to having a vending machine for kids to buy clothes and accessories for their Barbie or GI Joe dolls, then I recall that these dolls (they're called "fashion dolls" or "dollfies") are not kid stuff, they are costlier even than PVC figures. I saw some featured in an issue of Megami magazine and looked up prices...ouch.

Yeah, a Volks Dollfie Dream will run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 USD. That price does include a wig and paint job, but it's still not for the faint of heart.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Just the thought of grown men changing their Madoka dolls underwear is incredibly creepy to me. The characters are supposed to be in middle school.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Shit like this makes me sad.

Why did they go the evangelion route, AKA "Make an important, actually well-written story, and then lose all artistsic integrity by pimping it out for merch money"?

I know Urobochi needs to pay for that Lambo he bought from Madoka money, but still.

I love merchandise. Some shows don't even get figures, which is sad, so I don't see how merchandising is bad. If you don't like the stuff, just don't buy it. The idea something outside of a series can retroactively remove it's 'integrity' is silly.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Shit like this makes me sad.

Why did they go the evangelion route, AKA "Make an important, actually well-written story, and then lose all artistsic integrity by pimping it out for merch money"?

I know Urobochi needs to pay for that Lambo he bought from Madoka money, but still.

I love merchandise. Some shows don't even get figures, which is sad, so I don't see how merchandising is bad. If you don't like the stuff, just don't buy it. The idea something outside of a series can retroactively remove it's 'integrity' is silly.

Merch isn't bad.

Pimping out a series this much with ridiculous stuff like this (granted, it's nowhere near Eva-bad, but it'll get there) is bad.
NeumanProductions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
Is there nothing you can't get out of a vending machine in Japan now of days.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Merch isn't bad.

Pimping out a series this much with ridiculous stuff like this (granted, it's nowhere near Eva-bad, but it'll get there) is bad.

The figurine market is profitable in Japan and most anime/manga get figurines of some form. Which means Madoka getting figurines in Japan is normal, it certainly isn't a SHAFT stretching the franchise into something illogical or bad.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying figures are bad. I want to start collecting them, actually.

What's bad it making f*cking underwear for them and then charging for it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
Sepherest wrote:

They probably save money this way by not having to share profits with a store. Japan sells lots of stuff in vending machines that we might not expect.

Depending on who owns the premises or pays for the electricity, they may still have to share it. But this is fine for the little gals.

NeumanProductions wrote:
Is there nothing you can't get out of a vending machine in Japan now of days.

Tampons maybe? Laughing
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

What's bad it making f*cking underwear for them and then charging for it.

I am no Happosai but I do love free panties. Still, if something gets made then charging for it(whatever it is) is fine, not bad.

Quote:
Tampons maybe?

You've never seen pictures of a women's public bathroom, eh?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3