• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ride Back (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
All I want to know is, why is it so very hard to find a quality version of this show's ending theme? Wink
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
After finishing Rideback I am disappointed. (spoilers ahead)

First I'd like to compliment this series for its high quality animation and art. Story, however, is lacking originality. I felt like it was smashed together from a bunch of cliches, added some "Mecha", political intrigue, "search for your path in life", don't forget tragic death and following tears; and then all of it was wrapped up in pretty visuals and given a stamp "ready to air".

I feel frustrated as series started off rather well. It was a story about Rin and her learning to ride those cool "motorcycles with arms". I like all her riding scenes as it should've been the shows main idea, and as I hoped would lead to her grand success on professional tournaments.

Now comes the military plot line, where world is now dominated by GGP and Japan is it's colony/territory. Terrorists fight for independence(may be wrong here) while japanese police try to uncover corruption in GGP's japanese office to get more control over their land. I would like to ask if anyone else feels that this whole plotline is just unnecessary? But it is here and it's not well done. At least in Code Geass all that rapid political strikes and intrigue is well presented and justified, in Rideback: not so much.

Rushed ending proves that, as everyone seems to get what they were fighting for all along the show. Rin gets her confidence and accepts the path of being Rideback "dancer", terrorist gets his revenge and GGP is exposed.

I'd like to add my thoughts on Suzuri's death episode. The whole incident is silly at least. When people at demonstration assumed that Suzuri is a "rideback girl" why didn't she deny it? "Rideback girl" is a wanted criminal so anyone with any common sense will try to deny it and clear up the misunderstanding. She didn't do that out of confusion, lack of courage and possible joy from attention? Next Suzuri is running away from military, driving next to the train where she oversees Rin and wants to show off her practice results... does that sound ridiculous to anyone else?

That said, it's still easy to dismiss this post as "coming from CG fan", but I am sure you can see some of the flaws stated above, question is whether you want to admit them.

Anyway I am looking forward to constructive criticism as I did my best not to rant much and explain pros and cons of Rideback.

Edit: removed spoiler tags, as they seemed unnecessary

Last edited by Hentai_JP on Thu May 07, 2009 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
One of the biggest problems I thought was the music. Or, should I say, the lack of any variety in the music. That one tune that they used was nice, but it was pretty much literally the one tune they used. By the final episode I was sick of it, which is sad seeing how that episode overused it more than any other. Indeed, every time I heard it in the last episode the scene was ruined for me, which is like every second scene.

I thought the first four episodes were very good; slowly plotted for a twelve-episode series, but also attentive to detail and fun to watch. But not long afterwards (I cannot tell you with any certainty as I have deleted the show) the series went downhill and never recovered. Some would say it was as soon as Fuego was taken out of the equation, as it was the star bike. I personally think it was good up to where Rin fights the white Ridebacks, gets arrested and meets Kiefer for the second time. The raid on the mansion had some good moments but it could have been better done. I wanted to see lightening fast tactics from the GGP (as you would expect from elite soldiers), and instead we got the completely boring "advance in a straight line" cannon fodder.

From there the show spiralled downwards in a terminal dive. We learned that Fuego wasn't special at all, it just had some program. Way to go making your main Mecha even more inconsequential than ever before. Suzuri's death was pretty pointless, especially when Rin's first reaction is to give up Ridebacking forever. And it's hard to imagine that the GGP would be so blasé in killing a civilian of another country in broad daylight and outside of a security cordon. Of course, that's not to say that the Jean Charles de Menezes affair never happened, but it still seems incredible. Also, Kiefer should have shot first instead of letting his guard down against an armed opponent, and that smirking female GGP officer was never fleshed out properly. Why was she helping Kiefer? Were they once lovers? Who knows. Lastly, the Japanese police side of the plot seemed to wrapped up incredibly quickly and wasn't really thought out. Companies and events were just casually mentioned and talked about without ever quite telling us why they had any significance to the plot.

A great start, an intriguing plot, a refreshing lead. But it just fell to pieces. Thanks for raising my expectations only to have them dashed.

Last edited by dtm42 on Thu May 07, 2009 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

From there the show spiralled downwards in a terminal dive. We learned that Fuego wasn't special at all, it just had some program.

Well kinda. It had a special program AND it was tuned to function properly with that software and not implode. What more could a realistic mecha have to differentiate itself. I've never been a huge fan of "god mecha" in a mecha show that are just unstoppable by design. I prefer "+mecha" that are just highly tuned and specialized versions of a default, but piloted by "god pilots" that can make them sing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11