• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
We're coming up to the end of the series. We only have 2 episodes to go (ANN's encyclopedia entry lists 12, I haven't seen anything to contradict it). Obviously, episode 11 is going to deal with getting the medicine. Likely, they're going to need to have Yuki grounded, so there's a good chance that they could have the delusion shatter next episode, and have episode 12 be the fallout/setting the new status quo/wrapping things up for an ending.

From what manga readers have said, spoiler[chapter 30] gives us a decent stopping point, and spoiler[Yuki's delusion shatters in chapter 29]. If that stopping point is accurate, then spoiler[that increases the chances of my idea of the delusion shattering next episode to lead to the finale].
(Note on the above: The manga spoilers are hearsay, as I haven't read the manga myself, that's just what I've heard)

You can't really use the "what chapter are we up to" method of figuring out the pacing anymore.

Just looking at what happens in Episode 10 (spoiler tags contain chapter numbers):

-the "zombies come inside when it rains" thing is loosely based on spoiler[chapter 5]
-the stuff with the dog is loosely based on spoiler[chapter 17]
-Kurumi meets Megu-nee in spoiler[chapter 18]
-Yuri pulls out the knife in spoiler[chapter 20]
-the "next time on Episode 11 of School-Live" sequence contains an iconic scene from spoiler[chapter 28]

There's also a lot of anime-original content to tie everything together.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm not saying that we're following the manga closely or in the same chronological order (again, I haven't read it, I'm going on hearsay).

What I'm saying, is that if the story point in spoiler[chapter 30] is supposedly a good stopping point, and if spoiler[Yuki's delusion shatters prior to that, in chapter 29], then it looks as if the end of the episode really was spoiler[the start to Yuki's delusion shattering], rather than spoiler[just wavering], assuming their plan is indeed to stop at that point in the story.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Oh, I'm not saying that we're following the manga closely or in the same chronological order (again, I haven't read it, I'm going on hearsay).

What I'm saying, is that if the story point in spoiler[chapter 30] is supposedly a good stopping point, and if spoiler[Yuki's delusion shatters prior to that, in chapter 29], then it looks as if the end of the episode really was spoiler[the start to Yuki's delusion shattering], rather than spoiler[just wavering], assuming their plan is indeed to stop at that point in the story.

I think it is a solid theory, although keep in mind there are still a lot of fan theories and online arguments about what, exactly, happens in chapter spoiler[29], and what it means.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Damm! Now things are more dire.
spoiler[Tarumarou now a zombie.
Kurumi get's bitten and has a nightmare about Megu-nee.
Yuri having a breakdown and making a difficult choice to either kill Kurumi before she turns.
Yuki's delusions starting to crack.
And Miki goes to the basement to get the cure while the zombies break in.]

Best episode ever!
Plus the OP got more creepy!
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Welp, I thought that was kinda sad

Despite that it felt kinda predictable, I think it's still sad what happened to Megu-nee and that Yuki had to accept the truth or rather reality of what had happened. Nice episode overall. Her fake illusion of being shattered imo was a highlight point in this episode.

Curious to see how they will do the final episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Best episode yet! This is the sort of show I've always wanted School Live to be!

Is it too late for Taroumaru? I think it's probably wishful thinking to assume it'll work on someone who is already a zombie.

Everything here is built up perfectly. Everyone is going through their own struggles. I can't even say "especially Kurumi" or "especially Miki" because the ones who aren't in physical peril are still going through psychological trauma and difficult choices. To either accept reality or continue wishful thinking (with Yuki its either to accept the apocalypse and help her friends or to continue playing dumb, with Yuri it's to either put Kurumi out of her misery or to hold out hope that Miki can get a cure, letting Kurumi suffer further and potentially turn).

On a different note, Graduation is a bit of an ominous title. The school is no longer survivable. They'll need a new place. I hope they find this new sanctuary in the series. A "read the manga" ending is always so annoying.

Last edited by louis6578 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
First up: Opening Changes
Two changes this time, although one may be from episode 10 that I hadn't caught
1) The shot of Zombie!Megu is longer, and the jump scene after is shorter
2) The space background is now a blood-red, and the "puddle" even darker.

Seeing Megu's handprints on the supply case, makes me think that she may have taken the antidote as well, but she was either a) too far gone, b) had been too infected (by too many zombies), or c) a combination of the above. It delayed the inevitable (as seen by her writing and clinging to "herself" more than it seems others had), but didn't work completely.

It is of note, with "Graduation" being the final episode's title, that the newer ending does show "Let's Graduate" on the chalkboard as the final shot.

[edit]
Checking for the length of the zombie!Megu scene, I noticed another OP change: There are now NO shadows over the title card, and while it doesn't appear that there are more zombies, they're in different positions.

Checking the length of the shot, it wasn't longer than last week, so I compared it with episode 9, and the cross's shot was the same length as well, so no change there after all.

[edit2]
I've got the new OP changes screencapped, and the ED changes dropped into my editing timeline. When I get home from work tonight, I'll work on getting the ED video up, and the OP video updated.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Seeing Megu's handprints on the supply case, makes me think that she may have taken the antidote as well, but she was either a) too far gone, b) had been too infected (by too many zombies), or c) a combination of the above. It delayed the inevitable (as seen by her writing and clinging to "herself" more than it seems others had), but didn't work completely.

Interesting theory, and it makes sense. However, the contents on the inside of the case did not seem to have been disturbed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Is it too late for Taroumaru? I think it's probably wishful thinking to assume it'll work on someone who is already a zombie.

Remember when Miki was cornered by the zombies and had to retreat to that one room? A dog ran out of there the moment Miki opened the door. That's possibly the real Taroumaru and the infected dog wasn't. I guess Vaisaga may have been right on that. The room Kurumi locked the infected dog in wasn't inside the secret, flooded underground tunnels if I remember correctly. Since Kurumi had to run away from the dog the room must have been before the entrance to the flooded underground tunnels.

Actually, I don't know. May have been the same room. Confused
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
When the siren went off for a moment there I thought a self destruct sequence was going to activate. Damn Resident Evil flashbacks Laughing

Cam0 wrote:
Remember when Miki was cornered by the zombies and had to retreat to that one room? A dog ran out of there the moment Miki opened the door. That's possibly the real Taroumaru and the infected dog wasn't. I guess Vaisaga may have been right on that. The room Kurumi locked the infected dog in wasn't inside the secret, flooded underground tunnels if I remember correctly. Since Kurumi had to run away from the dog the room must have been before the entrance to the flooded underground tunnels.

Actually, I don't know. May have been the same room. Confused

You're right, Kurumi didn't make it that far in. Plus the dog didn't attack Miki so I don't think it was zombiefied.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, to say that it's not Taroumaru is too convenient. Kurumi was pretty sure it was him after all, and it was the same size and type of dog. If that's NOT Taroumaru, I consider it an ass pull, even if it's one that would make me happier.

However, if it turns out that Taroumaru was zombified and somehow got cured, perhaps by chewing through a separate case and conveniently eating a vaccine or something, then I'm all for it. It's less... out of left field.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

I will say that I found this episode to be beautiful. I think the really managed to portray why Yuki was in her current position, as a person she was just not made for this sad situation of a zombie apocalypse, she felt like a big burden to those around her. But she was given one job, something she must do by the person who saved her, and that was to smile, smile and protect the others by raising their spirits and make them happy. She kept herself in her dreams to up to now to do that, but right now there is something else she can do to help them, and overcoming inner battle was one big step.

I am not sure if I have actually said it yet, but Gakkou Gurashi, School-Live!, has been my top show of the season, and quite possibly of the year thus far. Not everyone might have the patience for a slice of life, or "cute girls doing cute things", but I think that it has been an excellent vehicle for this type of story.

I do wonder what others think of the perhaps artistic choices I noticed in the episode, that prior to the OP, when we see characters seeing the threats of the zombies we see a big contrast of a very blue looking sky. This is despite the fact that we already had it established as storming. I love broken Megumi-music, I think the song is referred to as "music box", and it used fantastically.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I dunno, to say that it's not Taroumaru is too convenient. Kurumi was pretty sure it was him after all, and it was the same size and type of dog. If that's NOT Taroumaru, I consider it an ass pull, even if it's one that would make me happier.

Originally what caught Taroumaru's interest was the whining of another animal. There were 2 dogs to begin with. So it wouldn't exactly be a complete ass pull. Though it is too convenient for it to be the same breed of dog and about the same age/size (Taroumaru is a pup).
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
Huh, I never thought about the possibility of Taroumaru *not* being bitten. And I completely forgot about why Taroumaru was incentivized to go to the basement-- really, it was some other animal making a noise? I'm all prepared for a relatively happy ending to this series, but I'm not counting on anything *that* happy. Taroumaru's sad situation seems to have been spelled out dramatically enough so that anything otherwise may seem kind of cheap and unearned. Even the ED was updated to show him walking alongside Megu-nee against that white backdrop.

Moving on… so, the final episode is tomorrow! Or, er, later today going by my clock now. It's gonna be tough, I'm sure. But I think I can at the very least be cautiously optimistic about the conclusion; an episode called "Graduation" feels primed to be no worse off than bittersweet.

Beyond the reasons I've already discussed in the review thread, I also feel confident about what direction School-Live! seems headed because of how its progression lately reminds me of Madoka Magica in its last few episodes. Episode 10 of both series-- Madoka's #10 being all about Homura's past and tragic circumstances, School-Live!'s #10 being about getting the girls more intimated with their apocalypse than ever before-- are Super Mega Important Episodes in showing just how extra dire the situation really is. Then episode 11 comes around, where characters in both series make attempts to reverse the fate seemingly charted by the episode(s) prior, but so far don't reach truly tangible success. Things may seem no better off for the characters, if not only worse, than they did by the end of episode 11. BUT THEN, as the penultimate episode closes… a character who until now hasn't really been an Action Girl becomes more involved, and may be the final key to bringing about the best possible outcome. And a pink-haired girl at that! Surprised

Maybe the fact that nitro+ was involved with both stories means something here, hah. If episode 10 and 11 could be comparable to those of Madoka Magica, then how comparable might episode 12 end up being to Madoka's? Anyway, guess we'll know pretty soon. See you guys on the other side~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Welp I'm going to miss Taroumaru ...

As for the show overall, I guess it was alright? I mean, it wasn't something that I was used to with the zombie/slice of life hybrid and at the same time, there were some adaptation issues. But overall, a fun ride.

For some reason, I found the music aspect of the show to be some of its best parts. Anyways, perhaps we could get season 2 in the future. I wouldn't mind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14