• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online II (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not really; the highest percent of people believing in reincarnation is in Hungary, and it is only thirteen percent. The biggest percentage of people who believe in after-life in general is over forty and it is in Mexico (not specifically in reincarnation, it is more about heaven or hell). More than sixty percent of Japanese believe in evolution. Most of Japanese do not believe in after-life of our animal predecessors or humans as animals in the current form.

Max, it's important to remember that the vast majority of scientists throughout history have been people of faith, to various degrees. Science and faith are not incompatible. while I have nothing but pity for those who use religion to argue against evolution or the age of the Earth, there are billions of people who have some level of faith in the unknown, while also accepting basic science. You can fully believe that science explains everything we can see, while still believing in various supernatural elements exist that are impossible to scientifically observe.

And while studies have given some hypotheses for the origins of various religious beliefs, that does not disprove those beliefs.

And it's important to remember that while Max is saying things in an inflammatory way, the points he's making should not be offensive to those of faith, because if you believe differently than him, that's ok too.
#yorgaSh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
While having a bit mixed thoughts on the anime, I overall enjoyed it, and have decided to make a Windows theme (will be for 7 / 8 / 8.1) based on it.
Here is the concept this far
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
But seriously, there's only one way to make this better... Slumber party! Razz

Your the boss.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
that was sweet, and heartwarming, decent season all around.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Shikiari wrote:
But seriously, there's only one way to make this better... Slumber party! Razz

Your the boss.

Yeah, baby, that's hot~ :'D
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:51 am Reply with quote
Returning to the comment about seeing your loved ones again in the afterlife hopefully without inciting the flames of opinion on religion, I wanted to say a few words about my mental reaction to scenes like that (as an atheist).

Also perhaps approaching it in a more tactful way that doesn't sound preachy or as a Segway to put down other peoples' beliefs (or at least not interpreted that way).

So yeah as an atheist, what the characters say about what they may think happens spoiler[after death] doesn't bother me at all. As long as it doesn't seem like the author or director is pushing a type of agenda like "get as many people as you can to love this show then end it PSA style to promote whatever faith or church."

I find it ironic that the majority of Japan is essentially atheist in terms of a all-powerful deity but the majority of Japanese do have a sense of some sort of omnipresence in the world around them that is not explainable and/or an afterlife sort of wishful hope in the future. It's very cultural, not strictly defined like in Christianity.

So seeing a scene like in SAOII Ep 24 reminds me of that cultural aspect of Japan which I admire and continues to fascinate me as I watch anime.

I hope nothing I said here was offensive-sounding or could be interpreted as disturbing to any Christians or other theists here. Let me know if it was.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:14 am Reply with quote
It was an OK ending. It didn't pack the emotional punches I expected, but it was quite decent. I appreciate what it tried to do, it just didn't resonate with me. I kind of wish that Asuna's bonding with Yuuki had been another extra episode -maybe with Asuna sharing her experience in SAO, in parallel with Yuuki's life of full-diving and have them bond over that-, not a three-minute montage with sad_music.mp3 . Last week's conclusion of Asuna's conflict with her mother was probably the best executed part of the arc. I also liked how Yuuki's yearning for a real life clashes with Kirito's desire to live in the virtual world -an ideal that has bothered me greatly throughout the whole franchise. I hope Yuuki's warning to Asuna on that aspect gets some follow-up in the future if/when there's a SAO III or something.

Something that bothered me wasspoiler[ the thousand people showing up for Yuuki's send off. It didn't only feel manipulative, it also kind of killed the emotional intimacy of Yuuki saying her goodbyes to her friends.]. The scene started carrying a lot of emotional power when spoiler[Sleeping Knight #3 said "Don't worry, we'll meet you over there soon" and SK#4 added "because Yuuki is useless without us" -and it would've been even more effective if the bonds between the SK had been developped by the "show, don't tell" school of story writing-, but I felt that moment was broken with all these random people showing up.]

Another thing that kind of ticked me was the last minute reveal spoiler[about Kayaba being the original creator of the Medicuboid. I'm kind of sick of SAO trying to make this manchild mass-murderer into a tragic antihero or smth. ]. I think they should've left it at the reveal of spoiler[Siune's recovery and her conversation with Asuna about how Yuuki didn't want the rest of the SK to join her soon. Maybe that reveal is relevant to the plot of future novels, but I think they could've slipped that information somewhere else, not in the middle of Yuuki's funeral. The conversation itself was awkward and out of place. Like "Hey Siune, congrats on getting discharged. Also, hello Kirito, did you know Kayaba was the concept designer of the Medicuboid? No? Now you do, so bye"].

Overall, SAO II was a constant up-and-down trip for me. I came in with extremely low expectations, given how much I hated Fairy Dance, but Phantom Bullet was a very neat arc most of the time, and I came to really like Sinon (when she wasn't getting weak in the knees for trap!Kirito). The Calibur arc was a big yawn that I could've skipped. Mother's Rosario was okay, and I genuinely liked Yuuki, it just didn't manage the emotional landing it was going for. It still managed to be more competently written than PP2, A/Z or SMC, so I rated it Decent.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I find it ironic that the majority of Japan is essentially atheist in terms of a all-powerful deity but the majority of Japanese do have a sense of some sort of omnipresence in the world around them that is not explainable and/or an afterlife sort of wishful hope in the future.

The Japanese are mostly not mono-theists, sure, but they aren't mostly atheists either. The predominate beliefs in Japan are animist. Most Japanese people honor the graves of their ancestors, perhaps offer prayer to a local deity, and strong belief in the afterlife and superstitions abound.

This rarely rises to the level of devotion that a serious church-going Christian might display, but they certainly spend a lot more time communicating with the supernatural world than any atheist would. They are typically more "religious"in a general sense than most "Christians" in the US, those who profess a general faith, but rarely if ever attend church or make any significant act of devotion.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
Nice ending. Overall this is a replica of season one in regards to its impact, I think the last episode review summed it up nicely that despite its flaws it does aim to mean something. I preferred the Rosario arc as it gave some much needed to development outside of Kirito to a female lead who was largely left to the side. This season as a package is better than the first season as I just disliked the second halves treatment of Asuna. I feel the same way about the Index franchise.

In regards to this afterlife discussion, does it matter? I quite like the concept of god and the afterlife as if it did exist so would vampires and similar mythological creatures, would make reality more interesting. Once we die our souls may go into anime characters for all we know, dibs on Kyon Very Happy
Shikiari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Talking of an important date in some religious calendars...
Merry Christmas! Razz

Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia, what's "manipulative" about all those people showing up for Yuuki's sake ? o_o
Ohoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CrowLia, what's "manipulative" about all those people showing up for Yuuki's sake ? o_o

Well, I get the point, it's emotionally manipulative of the writer towards the audience, it's like when they have sweeping emotional music in a scene that is maybe not that emotional, but it gives you feels that they really haven't earned. I can see it both ways in this case, it really was a bit much, but I still enjoyed it.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

What Ohoni said. It also felt like it was too much. I mean, the scene is already quite sad in and of itself, it didn't really need the additional "feel sad because all these people are mourning this girl." It was unnecessary, and I could really see the writers going spoiler["The death scene of this girl with AIDS surrounded by her terminally-ill friends is not sad enough, we need something to make it sadder!"]. And, like I explained before,spoiler[ the moment felt more intimate and meaningful when it was just her and the SK. There was some tragic beauty in that one line "We'll be meeting you there soon" delivered by SK#3,] but when all the other "random people you've never met and will never be important in the story" showed up, it killed the emotional momentum for me.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I also thought that the aspect of the scene in question was overdone and a bit manipulative - at first.

However, my viewpoint has changed as news has come out about similar circumstances actually playing out IRL over the weekend (IOW, practically concurrent with that episode airing) in FFIV. As over-the-top as that part of the scene may have seemed, it has, ironically, turned out to be more true-to-life than it was probably ever intended to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get a "feel sad because lots of people are mourning this girl".

I got a "feel happy because this girl spoiler[is getting the best good-bye possible."]

It's hard to feel manipulated when the end result actually feels nice. But I suppose it's a case of YMMV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 110 of 115