• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hanasaku Iroha (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20. It just doesn't get any better than this.

I can't count how many school cultural festivals in anime now. Probably more than 30. However this is the first one that I have seen that felt "real" to me, and more than that made we want to be there.

Nothing earth-shaking happens in this episode, but there are so many perfectly turned moments. The expressions on the girls faces are priceless.

Next time I am in Japan I am going to find some place that makes omelet rice.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I was somewhat impressed that the show went to the effort of actually animating the various establishing shots of the assorted students all over the school setting up for the festival. Most shows would just have given us pans across still images. I'm torn on whether spoiler[the red herring implying Minko didn't know how to cook omelet rice was pointless or brilliant. ]

It's nice to see that the show does continue to contribute bits of character development here and there to things they've established in previous episodes. Although it'd be nicer if Jiromaru's wasn't still solely dedicated to him being the least threatening pervert ever. It's almost as annoying as Enishi pining over Takako. (Or did I mean more annoying?)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:27 am Reply with quote
Eh, I just found the episode dull. Sorry, just not the interested in the intricacies of omelet rice, I guess. I did like all the understated stuff with Nako and her artist friend, however. Anyway, very happy the cultural festival is over.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 21:

Wow, for a series that hasn't much employed cliffhangers in the past, that was sure one hell of an ending. That is an explanation I can't wait to hear, though I have my suspicions.

And my, did spoiler[Beanman look ridiculous at a younger age].

On an unrelated point: is it just me, or are they increasingly emphasizing Minchi as a fan service focal point? This is the second straight episode where she's been shown only barely strategically covered. (Not that I object, mind you.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
While Takako has become more tolerable (although this may be on account of the series not having time for her ludicrous proposals to improve the inn's income), I'm not terribly thrilled on seeing more of her as a central plot element.

Key wrote:
On an unrelated point: is it just me, or are they increasingly emphasizing Minchi as a fan service focal point? This is the second straight episode where she's been shown only barely strategically covered. (Not that I object, mind you.)

I want to say that the nudity is used to symbolically represent her emotional fragility in those scenes, but I can't honestly convince myself that the primary purpose isn't fanservice. I actually feel a little uncomfortable about it.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The show has been incredibly allergic to following its cliffhangers to the drama they suggest. Aside from the midseries episodes when Ohana returns to Tokyo, the show has set up a bunch of drama that it chose not to follow through on (spoiler[Yuina and Tohru, Psycho-Taro, and the continual dancing around the love triangle]). So while I'm excited to see things heat up significantly, I'm... skeptical of how hot they've actually become. It seems a bit early to start barreling towards a climactic resolution of the tension.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
On an unrelated point: is it just me, or are they increasingly emphasizing Minchi as a fan service focal point?

Why yes indeed. More extended nude scenes with both Ohana and Minchi in them, please. Like that.

Minchi's an idiot.

For me the lol moment has to do with Minchi getting a dose of unexpected reality in the fog of her fantasies. Imagine her imaging what the number five means to her:

All that said, Minchi is still the one I want to take home.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 22.

Did I misunderstand something or was that a totally obscene congratulatory message Satsuki sent?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Episode 22.

Did I misunderstand something or was that a totally obscene congratulatory message Satsuki sent?

Nope, you got it. If I'm not mistaken, the Japanese version is a double entendre about boners, and a bit more subtle than the translation until the last piece.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
It wouldn't have been Satsuki if it hadn't been something like that.

Another neat episode, and for a lot of reasons. Now we know what at least part of the close-out crisis is going to be, too, but it's a move that, given what Madame Manager has said the last two episodes, makes perfect sense.

And this is the third straight episode with a Minko fan service moment. They're definitely doing it deliberately. (Not that I object, mind you.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23:

I was a little disappointed that they resorted to the cliched spoiler[chance meeting on the bridge] in the final scene, but otherwise another great episode. Good to see some more about Ko and Ohana's mother, and I certainly have a new respect for Takako after the Tokyo Tower scene.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed episode 23, it was very well-paced, which I feel the series sometimes has some issues with (not too much, but occasionally).

What has surprised me over the course of the series is how much I've come to like Satsuki and her mother. Satsuki's irresponsibility turned me off initially, but her self-awareness of her faults is really well portrayed. Meanwhile, Mrs. Shijima has proved to be an ardent, hardworking, eternally focused manager...not the mean women she appeared to be in the first couple of episodes. I was hoping that would be the case, but it was lovely watching her true character unfold. I chalk up those early moments as much to defense mechanisms against the pain she felt from being around Ohana (which of course brings up painful memories of her estranged daughter) as anything else.

I was just saying a couple of days ago that I wasn't sure if I'd buy the DVD/BD of this series if they were released in North America, but I'm starting to change my mind about it. It's not a favorite, but episodes like these give me a bit more rewatch value to consider.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
and I certainly have a new respect for Takako after the Tokyo Tower scene.

I am sort of curious about how that was resolved. Clearly they couldn't have gotten the money back just because they found the guy? And what was the meaning of Ohana holding on to him like that while he was bowing to the guard?

Anyway, this was funny.

Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24:

The bathing room scene is a classic, although not for the reasons that you'd expect if you haven't seen it. Wink
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Episode 24:

The bathing room scene is a classic, although not for the reasons that you'd expect if you haven't seen it. Wink

Ah yes. spoiler[Granny's rushed methods to bathing that left Ohana and the girls shocked beyond belief.] Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14