• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Doraemon Anime's Visual & Script Changes for U.S. TV Detailed

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Is they change dorayaki why is still called Doraemon?
Pylgrim

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
I grew up in a country in which for some reason (most likely economical) TV stations filled their "dead" band between lunchtime and 5 pm with foreign, non-american cartoons (those were left for the Saturday and Sunday morning), most of them anime. I watched Doraemon and Jetter Mars and Mazinger and the super tragic Bannertail the squirrel and Hutch the bee, among others when I was 5-8. Then I followed with Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, and many more. As far as I know, those series were unedited and the (spanish) dubs kept intact even the Japanese names.

I guess I have to prize myself now in that watching unedited anime when I was a tiny infant didn't make me a pervert, a mass murderer, or God knows what do the people that feel these kinds of edits fear will happen if foreign cartoons are unchecked. I'd like to think that seeing and hearing all these foreign things and sounds and strangely yummy-looking food, made me curious about other cultures and more open to accept differences in others. I find extremely sad that Disney feels that they need to sanitise and jingo-up such a harmless cartoon.
Nsg27

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I hate my first post to be in this forum... But.. Since I was reading this.

It's not being aired on Disney Channel,but Disney xd. Chances of it being a huge hit are slim really. Most shows that Disney aquired have only gotten half a million viewers. I have doubts they'll even air on Disneys main channel at all. The only Anime hyper shows they air are original productions.

It'll be curious to see if there is any merchandising...

I do agree it's likely they were desperate to get into the USA and Disney said "sure we have time to fill".
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
Nsg27 wrote:

It's not being aired on Disney Channel,but Disney xd. Chances of it being a huge hit are slim really. Most shows that Disney aquired have only gotten half a million viewers. I have doubts they'll even air on Disneys main channel at all. The only Anime hyper shows they air are original productions.

I do agree it's likely they were desperate to get into the USA and Disney said "sure we have time to fill".

Actually, there will be merchandising for the show. Viz Media will have more about it at the Licensing Expo in Vegas next month.
http://licensing14.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibitor_details.cfm?exhid=12699
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
Is they change dorayaki why is still called Doraemon?

Someone already suggested this was probably a contractual obligation they had to keep the cat's name in.

Pylgrim wrote:
I grew up in a country in which for some reason (most likely economical) TV stations filled their "dead" band between lunchtime and 5 pm with foreign, non-american cartoons (those were left for the Saturday and Sunday morning), most of them anime. I watched Doraemon and Jetter Mars and Mazinger and the super tragic Bannertail the squirrel and Hutch the bee, among others when I was 5-8. Then I followed with Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, and many more. As far as I know, those series were unedited and the (spanish) dubs kept intact even the Japanese names.

You actually had a perfect childhood as I see it. We Americans need to envy your part of the world (and parts of Europe too).

Quote:
I guess I have to prize myself now in that watching unedited anime when I was a tiny infant didn't make me a pervert, a mass murderer, or God knows what do the people that feel these kinds of edits fear will happen if foreign cartoons are unchecked. I'd like to think that seeing and hearing all these foreign things and sounds and strangely yummy-looking food, made me curious about other cultures and more open to accept differences in others. I find extremely sad that Disney feels that they need to sanitise and jingo-up such a harmless cartoon.

This is not Disney's fault actually.

Nsg27 wrote:

You wins the interwebs!

Quote:

We outta be thankful at all to see this show domestically at all.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
Good news! Doraemon's run in the US has been successful!

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/style/AJ201408250005

But anyway, I finally saw the infamous aid kit turn to pizza episode, "Nobita's Turn At Bat" and...WHAT?! They changed the aid kit to pizza JUST so they can have an excuse to use garlic against a bat?! Jeez! Talk about stupid!

Also, does anyone know if the English dub changed the soundtrack or anything? I can't find any Japanese episodes so I don't know if Disney Anime hyper changed the soundtrack or not. I know Saban is infamous for doing this.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Good news! Doraemon's run in the US has been successful!

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/cool_japan/style/AJ201408250005

Nice to see.

Quote:
But anyway, I finally saw the infamous aid kit turn to pizza episode, "Nobita's Turn At Bat" and...WHAT?! They changed the aid kit to pizza JUST so they can have an excuse to use garlic against a bat?! Jeez! Talk about stupid!

Yeah that does seem weak.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if the English dub changed the soundtrack or anything? I can't find any Japanese episodes so I don't know if Disney Anime hyper changed the soundtrack or not. I know Saban is infamous for doing this.

Many companies did.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been checking it out and I have to say for all the censorship and localization they aim for they pick some of the weirdest episode to adapt. They did an episode where we see Nobita and Shizuka naked, though the dub uses digital paint to create bushes and clouds to cover it up. I am not sure why they'd use a nudity episode if they would just censor it anyway, it seems like it would be easier to dub another episode instead. They also dubbed a youkai themed episode of all things. Interesting.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Please do not necropost. If you'd like to discuss Doraemon's U.S. broadcast, there is a very lonely discussion thread that could use your attention, instead.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12