• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: School-Live!

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Coffee God

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
chito895 wrote:
I just wonder: was that spoiler[zombie] Key entering school at the end of the episode?

From the way the scene was framed, with Mii reacting to it and them showing her message to Kei on the black board, seemed to me like it was.

Beyond all the other hints that pointed to it, going by the from the back hair style alone, I'd say yes.
http://i.imgur.com/nPOkBfi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0jvoUCx.jpg
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:28 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
There was the scene when they were running down the escalator at the mall where I thought you could briefly see Kei as one of the zombies down there, so I'm predisposed to thinking that was her walking back to the school.

Nah, I just checked that scene and didn't see any zombie dressed in a school uniform, much less with a similar enough build to Kei's.

Quote:
Because of the way the story is handled I know it's not possible, but I would have liked to see some consideration that the cure only works on people, preserving the hope Kei or others could be saved even at this point. Would obviously sting like crazy to know that given Megu-nee was killed already.

Wouldn't have been feasible. I liken the zombie plague to cancer: treatable to a point, but there is a "point of no return."

Quote:
I am only slightly perturbed at the way Yuki's psychosis was so quickly turned around. I know that for advancement of the story and a catharsis of the audience watching her, it is great that when push came to shove she came through. But reality is that it would take far longer for that change to come about than it did. She shouldn't have been as highly functional at that moment as she ultimately was.

Anime do tend to fudge a bit on things like this, but they had also shown her delusion gradually deteriorating throughout the series, so it's not like she suddenly snapped back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Very pleased with this show overall. Which for me is a little strange because I'm not big on horror or "cute girls do X" kind of shows (honestly, going in, I expected it to be mostly cute things with the zombie apocalypse as mostly background noise), but for whatever reason, this just really worked for me. Glad I saw it. Smile
Sheldor84

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
This was a great show for me.I really enjoyed it. I got a question:spoiler[Taromaru is really dead?].Becausespoiler[He was buried with Yuki's hat and near the end it shows that same hat in the floor and Toramaru stand next to it, then he turns around and walks away.]

Aboutspoiler[Zombie Key] ....The Coffee God just answered that question but...spoiler[yes, it's her].

P.S. Hi Everyone! Very Happy
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This series was my favorite anime this summer season, and it held on to that title all the way through. It's a carefully written, emotionally powerful, thematically complete and resonant show with consistent visual quality and a superbly-utilized soundtrack.
I had a couple of issues with it overall, though: I think Ritsuko should have had more backstory/character development, and the moe moments sometimes dragged a bit.
Overall, though, Gakkou Gurashi is a very good show that even made me a touch bleary-eyed. I really cared a lot for all the characters and even into the last episode I feared for their lives. If that's not a sign of high quality, I don't know what is.
I give it a strong 8/10.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Sheldor84 wrote:
This was a great show for me.I really enjoyed it. I got a question:spoiler[Taromaru is really dead?].Becausespoiler[He was buried with Yuki's hat and near the end it shows that same hat in the floor and Toramaru stand next to it, then he turns around and walks away.]

P.S. Hi Everyone! Very Happy

HI! Remember the part when the girls were talking about how there was another dog in the school and that's why Taromaru went to the basement? Well, I think that dog was the one who was standing there, but as for the hat, I can only think that this doggie was the one who took it out of the spoiler[grave after the girls left the school.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:26 am Reply with quote
Really happy that Theron appreciated the series as much as I have. A lot of people have not seemed to have had the patience of certain elements to really get into what makes it strong. Regardlessly writing off moe elements as some part of a genre they don't like, without appreciating how deliberate the show is.

Beyond how it looks, or that more girls might not be someone's thing, it has just been well made. For similar reasons I would compare it back to Girls und Panzer.

And for the very end, it was obviously that sort thing we see in movies and stuff where we then see a ghost version of the person who buried to show their spirit. Not in a supernatural way, but to show that despite that person being buried, that part that lived in the others was still going. Like that although Yuki earlier was an example of just burying an event and pretending it never happen, that was not the case here. I don't think it was meant to be literal because the ground looked untouched.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:40 am Reply with quote
I've been checking in on these reviews intermittently, since I've enjoyed the show but not been blown away by it, so first of all thank you for the interesting coverage. I certainly agree that the show is consistently, carefully and competently written, but beyond that I just don't see the characters and story as particularly compelling. It's a good, solid work by all means, but better anime for me this year would be Yuri Kuma Arashi, Death Parade, Junketsu no Maria, Yoru no Yatterman, UBW S2, Hibike! Euphoniuym, Baby Steps S2, Rokka no Yuusha and my two picks so far for anime of the year, Non Non Biyori Repeat and Tesagure! Bukatsumono Spinoff: Puru Purun Charm to Asobou. Not all of them have the same level of polish, but I found them stronger overall.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
Yuki-can is definitely best girl. I knew that eventually she would pull through, but I wasn't expecting for her to save everyone and her resolution being the climax of the story.

The anime decided to keep the same characters as the manga. That turned out to be a bit boring since I was hoping for the anime to do its own thing, whether it was saving everyone including megu-nee or, instead, killing off everyone.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the moe aspects of the anime, there wasn't enough plot. Episode 8 effectively hyped up the conspiracy which caused the zombie apocalypse, but in the end nothing was really explained.

For what it's worth, watching School-Live turned out to be a very entertaining experience.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
While it was fairly obvious the Yuki, the emotional core of the group, would be the one to save the day in the end, it wasn't disappointing in the least. I cried as much during this last episode as I have in almost any episode of anime other than the final episode of Your Lie in April or parts of Clannad After Story. Actually, it might have been more than I did during the last episode of Your Lie in April. It was at the very end that I started bawling. It was more intense...

As for School-Live!'s position among the year's best? It is up there, that's for sure! I probably will put it behind Snow White with the Red Hair, Sound! Euphonium, Maria the Virgin Witch, and Yurikuma Arashi, but I'm not positive about that either. It might be third or fourth among a very strong top five for the year. (Interesting that Funimation has three of my top five for the year. I guess, from my perspective, somebody there is doing their homework and picking the good ones, though they picked many more that I didn't bother to watch at all...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13