• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kure-nai

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faraz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Not sure; is the whole Murusaki arc just for the first novel or does it continue? From my point of view, one probable outcome is Shinkuru's almost-defeat but ultimate victory when Murasaki's dad finally comes to his senses, ends his family's traditions and lets his daughter go. The way they've built up his character, I find this outcome to be very likely.
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:09 am Reply with quote
Sigh kinda wish I didn't read the manga, even though it doesn't spoil the ending it kinda makes it obvious how this ends since it seems to take place between novel 1 and novel 2.

And to the person who asked there is 4 light novels for Kure-nai out and I've been told novels 3-4 are linked together.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Like I said before this series needs to be longer than 13 episodes. Wink I'm definitely going to have to check out the manga/light novels/whatever after this though. Very Happy

Anyways, I personally would really prefer that this didn't end sadly. I'm not very much of a sad/depressing/negative ending kind of person (the only reason why I liked it in Wolf's Rain was because it all lead to something very positive in the end), especially not for a series like this one. I mean I wouldn't mind at least something sad or depressing to happen for dramatic purposes or something, just as long as something good and positive comes from it all in the end.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I enjoy it when a story is told that tries to break the mold somewhat. Happy endings, whilst varied and often rewarding, are too commonplace to have their desired effect on me. I'm much more likely to be moved by a tragedy than a blissful ending, but it's all down to personal preference.

I feel that Kurenai had the potential to pull of a tragic ending convincingly. I'm pretty convinced it won't end badly (especially after reading some of the posts here), but the fact that it's developed the characters to the point where I *might* be physically distraught if it ended in tragedy is indicative of the strong narrative running through the show.

Heck, it'll all turn out nice again Wink
Prophet EoA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 was full of action!

spoiler[For one thing though, I was kind of disappointed at Benika's skills. This might sound kind of childish but I thought Benika could totally own Lin. What's more is that she can't even defeat Ryuuji Shocked

Of course, in a realistic sense, Kuhouins are not weaklings. Ryuuji is pretty smart too, manipulating Murasaki into hopelessness to make Kurenai give it up. And I almost thought poor Yayoi was dead Sad ]
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Prophet EoA wrote:
spoiler[And I almost thought poor Yayoi was dead Sad ]d Yayoi.]

I was sort of wondering the same myself, but it didn't feel quite right for that to be the case. Which is a good thing, as there should be spoiler[no killing of the lovely Yayoi]. Anyone else is fair game, just not her.

Anyway, I finally had the chance to watch some anime (aside from the stuff I exercise to), so I blitzed through episodes 10 and 11 of this series. It's definitely been my favorite of the spring. One thing that felt interesting about episode 11 was that they would show just before the fight, and then suddenly they were in the midst of battle. The initial hits general weren't shown. I actually think I kind of liked that, because often the opening blows can be given too much focus and drag things out. I liked the abbreviations they introduced.

They do an excellent job with Murasaki's eyes and facial expressions. The episode was worth watching just for that.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, agreed, you can see that spoiler[she doesn't really believe the stuff comming out of her mouth and was really worried about Shinkuro. As dense as he may be sometimes I think he picked up on that too, seeing as how he went back again. ] I heard a saying once, "A man knows his limitations, a better man surpasses them and defines his own." spoiler[If you ask me however, I'd say the best man is someone who knows when he's totally outclassed and outnumbered but oh well I gotta' give Kurenai credit for guts at least.] It'll be interesting to see how they resolve this.

I'm glad that spoiler[Yayoi doesn't seem to be dead since it would be pointless for Benika to lug a dead body all that way.] I really got to like her character in the past couple episodes. I'm pretty sure how she's going to win if she fights Lin again but I'll keep that to myself.

Also, spoiler[no Yuno yet. It would be kind of waste if they spent all that time on her and she didn't play a bigger part in the conclusion.]
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone notice that there was some censorship in the last couple episodes? Here's what I mean:

In episode 11, spoiler[there was Lin killing the Kuhoin maid that helped Murasaki escape from the mansion. There were points in the scene where it seemed like certain shots from the scene were cut not showing when the knife Lin used made impact on the maid's body.]

Then in episode 12, spoiler[Ryuuji stabbed Benika and you could hear the sound of blood gushing and a camera shot to the floor. But there was no blood.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, it's possible that there might be some extension of those scenes on the DVD release, Ggultra2764. It does seem there was something missing (particularly with the scene in episode 12.) It didn't hurt the scene, it just felt weird given the audio effects.

Anyway, I just watched episode 12. Pretty solid ending for a pretty solid anime. I'm not just ga-ga over the series, and it's certainly not in my favorites, but I definitely found it quite enjoyable. Particularly if the Murasaki arc was only a part of the novel series, it would be nice to see more of it animated.
Courbet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely loved this series as well as the thoughtful note it ended on. Hopefully they will continue it sometime, I would like that, however equally they dont need to as most things were pretty much wrapped up and left to the viewer to decide.

Question to someone who has read the chronologically later light novels - does Murasaki appear alongside Shinkuru in them?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
Well, I for one am extremely happy with ending it seemed to fit the series pefectly and I can't really think of anything that wasn't resolved at some point..well aside from which girl Shinkuro will end with that is. Razz spoiler[Lin got her ass whooped by Yayoi just exactly how I'd predicted, the situation with Murasaki was resolved with nobody dying and Renjo seemed like he was going to change things or at least be a normal father to her if nothing else. The scene near the end where the two of them were sharing some quality time was heartwarming. Poor Benika's got stabbed though judging by the fact she's not dead and able to complain about it I think she'll be fine.] Smile
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Well I still feel like this series needed to be longer, but at the same time I'd say the ending was pretty satisfying. I'm mostly just happy that spoiler[everything ended so happily for everyone. Smile And that whole final scene with both Murasaki and Shinkuro thinking about each other like that was really heartwarming.] It certainly did come to a conclusion and resolution to pretty much all the problems of the series, really with nothing lingering over. But at the same time I could also see why the anime didn't cover all of the novel volumes. There's definitely room for more, but there doesn't need to be. But at the same time I'd really, really like to see more! Sad
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm adding it to my list of things that need more seasons next to Black Lagoon, Claymore, Full Metal Panic, and Spice and Wolf for good measure. Smile
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
I thought many things were wrapped up very well with other things left open-ended for a satisfying end to a great series. You can count me in as someone who wished it was longer and included more material from the novels, but as much as I would like a second season I'm fine with the ending as it is.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it doesn't really need one but it would be cool if there were more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13