• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Medaka Box (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
the Kurokami family is just truly bizarre. i wonder what their parents are like
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 8

Well that was quite an episode, Medaka spoiler[lost a fight from sacrafising her strength and memory to prove the point that she will trust her sister even if it obviously a trick.] And even though Kouki stated that Medaka spoiler[kept her personality in deciding to fight], doesn't this kind of contradict Medaka's character. She has avoided fighting even if someone was breaking her limbs, yet decided to spoiler[fight when not knowing what is happening, makes me think that the change may be a reason that her brother was a little scared].

Pretty epic part when the student council got spoiler[back up], well most of them are spoiler[old enemies], and calling them good guys is a little strange, guess we have Shiranui to thank for it. The spoiler[kid, Unzen], is the weirdest one to have on the good side, he almost killed them all earlier. I loved the reactions of the council, especially their reaction with not spoiler[understand Unzen's sister and think it was probably nice], but then finding out that spoiler[she was saying something about breasts]. Laughing The begginning fight looked cool.

Next episode will finally give spoiler[Kikaijima] a chance to shine, if you are like me then you have probably really been looking forward to this. Though I do not look forward to what will likely be spoiler[arriving just too late and seeing some sort of brainwashed Medaka], sounds so cliche, and not really fun.

Also wonder why the spoiler[god complex] guy does not want spoiler[masked kid] being seen by spoiler[Medaka's sister].

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
if you watch the OP it spoils what is going to happen to Medaka. i really like Naze and i find her unintentionally hilarious, mostly likely due to Miyuki Sawashiro's deadpan delivery of her lines
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 9

So Kikaijima got some screen time, and she was done in a way to humanize both herself and Medaka, actually despite how tough she showed herself it was spoiler[not really quite a fight of actual attacks. She had a back forth between herself and the mask kid, who can apparently read minds, Yukuhashi apparently joined Oudo because he only thinks about himself. Kikaijima did some pretty freaky stuff to keep herself going, ripping her fingernails off, but this seemed to create a reaction in Yukuhashi.]

I remembered that s/he was told to stay away from spoiler[Naze, which me figure out he/r weakness, that s/he feels others pain, and thus being around Naze would probably be excrutiating. And not just that, but also emotions, I imagine the mask would help just keep the fact s/he is easilly effected by other's emotions. I liked the bit where s/he was being swayed by honest emotions.]

Then there is Oudo, the guy with the god complex, actually if there was an anime encyclopedia where god complex would be there would just be his picture. God he is messed up, but he may not be too different from Medaka after all, just the complete opposite in many regards, or perhaps more honest, and among the most self centered characters in the genre. It turns out his power is spoiler[that he can release electrical signals that can directly alter signals in the body, although how this works on machines is questionable].

And who would think that spoiler[Medaka would end up brainwashed refer to herself as Kurokami Medaka (rev)], certainly not someone who has watched the OP and saw the episode title.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I completely forgot about Kikaijima's spoiler[sonic scream attack], or maybe most of season 1 was just really boring and i just didn't pay that much attention. Oudo is a fun guy. he reminds me of Gilgamesh. oh, have we met the girl in the OP who is surrounded by screws?
Clarste

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I completely forgot about Kikaijima's spoiler[sonic scream attack], or maybe most of season 1 was just really boring and i just didn't pay that much attention. Oudo is a fun guy. he reminds me of Gilgamesh. oh, have we met the girl in the OP who is surrounded by screws?

She didn't have a spoiler[sonic scream attack] until now. It was established spoiler[earlier in season 2 though (I wanna say episode 4?) that she can shout really loudly though. It only becomes an attack when she becomes a character in a shounen fighting series.]

Oh, and we have not met the girl in the OP yet. spoiler[And probably won't until like season 4, which probably won't get made. Not sure why they put her in the opening other than to tease manga fans.]
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Have to admit this was probably my most anticipated episode of this season and it certainly didn't dissapoint. They did a pretty good job covering Medaka's backstory and motivation. Also glad they actually decided to let Kumagawa be voiced this time.

Next week, v.s. Oudo!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 10

I liked this episode, mostly since it seemed to put a bit of history on our perfect Medaka, going the very centre of who she is, and I really enjoyed the spoiler[struggle within her. With her memories muddled she accepted the mission in life] of becoming perfect, through oudo's brainwashing she was spoiler[simply prepared to use and beat anyone in her way without care. Even Maguro was impressed by the brainwashing, with him agreeing and Medaka beating the student council with copied abnormalities], it looked hopeless, but then he said that spoiler[she was crying].

Though the fact she had spoiler[tears coming out of an eye like Titania was not enough, and Zenkichi, saying he would knock back Kurokami Medaka (rev) and bring back Medaka-chan. The two of them managed to fight pretty neck to neck], and we started to have a look at medaka's returning memories. Medaka's spoiler[mother was healthy, but died of a heart attack after hearing the newborn Medaka, Medaka spent the first year apparently learning all knowledge she needed, and by her second ruined many adult lives by her perfection, like a certain] pantyless artist. She had an aweful look in her eyes not too different from her sister, the look that spoiler[she had no joy, and into her second year went into some sort of hospital where she learned that life was meaningless. She felt like she had no purpose].

It is by this part that Zenkichi seems to be having some spoiler[hits on Medaka, and we learned that while in the hospital she happened to run into a young boy, we can all figure out that this is Zenkichi. Medaka solved a puzel he strugled with out of furstration, and out of amazment he encouraged her to keep solving more, he was saying that she was awesome, but she said there just no real point to anything. Kid Zenkichi (wait we can have a cool name like "Zenkidchi") told her that there is meaning in everything, and under the question of hers said that her was obvious "to make everyone happy"]. This small line seems to be the very basis of her character, and after remembering this spoiler[stops dodgeing and takes the hit, returning with her reply that there is no need to dodge as there is no reason for her to get kicked].

It looks like things have gone good again with spoiler[Medaka remembering who she was, but her brainwashing is still winning out, with tears streaming down her face she sees that she must kill Zenkichi as she does not need his purpose anymore. Her hands around his neck, choking the life out of him she questions Zenkichi if he even remembers what she told him 13 years ago, his reply that he does not only confirms that she is] doing the right thing. But he says that if it was spoiler[13 years ago, it was probably that she was meant to help people, he does not need to remember it, he has always thought it. The words from the boy she loves cause her to suddenly try to re-brainwash herself, a self destructive move could kill her, but Zenkichi tells her something that characters have been trying to teach her for a while: she is part of everyone, she should make sure she is happy first].

From his words and the spoiler[hug, Medaka suddenly takes a stand, she is not Kurokami Medaka (rev), she is Medaka-chan, who the hell do you think I am!] That last bit I added and is a bit pointless, but the only thing that scene needed was a little Librea Me From Hell, but we had to do with the ED song. Medaka spoiler[has her purpose in life back, and with the added bit of herself being happy too. Naze tries to put the change under logic, but Maguro tells her that it is far too unromantic, such thinking will make you unhappy. Odou is saying that they have to wrap things up soon, and Medaka agrees: she is going to make everyone happy] (this is as threatening as reforming).
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:35 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Medaka not so much Medaka anymore.
Her powers now are even more incredible then before.
Hitoyoshi vs Medaka.
That was a desperate fight for the real Medaka.
The part about Medaka's past was interesting.]

Unusual, but fun episode.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
Medaka was spoiler[never brainwashed. They restated this several times. This is just who she is without the "mask" of pretending to be who Zenkichi wants her to be. This is her original personality, ie: the two year old who went to the hospital to find out why she was born. Remember, her abnormal specialty as noted by Naze is "perfect imitation". She instantly masters the skills she sees other people using. However, she also imitates behavior, as seen in the first season. Put it all together and it's pretty clear that her entire personality is an act she puts on to fulfill the purpose in her life given by Zenkichi as a toddler.

Wouldn't you cry too if your friends all rejected you for being who you really are? And just how wrong is it for a girl to be told "you live to make me happy" and spend 13 years of her life making that true? (before having it modified this episode) An innocent wish that put her on the road to hell. Like all the Abnormals we've met, she was just lonely. All she ever wanted was for people to accept her. And all it took for that to happen was for her to completely restructure her life around the whims of a 2 year old boy.

Well, maybe Naze's right. Maybe it isn't wrong at all. People change, people grow up, people get set on the right path by their friends. Maybe we're all "brainwashing" each other every day, and there's nothing wrong with being given a purpose in life from an outside source. But if that's true, then isn't it sad that Medaka's mother lived for no purpose but to give birth to her? Will Medaka also die when she's served her purpose? Is it wrong to live without a purpose?]

...I'm not just being silly here, these are actually questions that series is intending to us to ask. Seriously.

Last edited by Clarste on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:46 am; edited 2 times in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote
You have some interesting opinions Clarste, but my opinions differ a little, perhaps I find yours a little cynical. I took part where they mentioned Odou spoiler[did not really brainwash her was more the fact he had to do very little, all he needed to do was add a more selfish outlook as you would] add heat to hatch an egg. Medaka tried to spoiler[remove the brainwash of selfishness, but she learned a bit about making a balance].
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
If she was spoiler[brainwashed to be selfish, why would she try to remove it? It's not like she was undergoing any kind of mental battle between two sides vying for control. We saw the entire thing from her perspective and that wasn't what was happening. Medaka (Rev) made a conscious choice to become someone else.

And it's not like these are foreign themes to the series. We already saw Munakata put up a similar front to avoid hurting people with his abnormality. With Medaka, her entire existence is designed to avoid stomping all over people's efforts, because that's all her abnormality can do.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:49 am Reply with quote
Becaus she spoiler[remembered what importance her previous meaning in life was, and she only made the descision when she saw what the boy she loves did not mean it as some throw away line. He meant it to the very end, and if he can put that trust in her, then she can too]. Basically as Maguro tried to allued to, spoiler[love was stronger than brainwashing].
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Whatever love was stronger than didn't require her to brainwash herself though. She, as Medaka (Rev) made a conscious decision to follow Zenkichi's words, because of love or whatever other reason you ascribe to it. Why would she need to fry her brain to do that?]
kaydub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I think Clarste made a pretty good explanation, and I especially agree with your last statement there. NisiOisin is a clever writer and his style is intentionally thought-provoking, he is definitely raising a question here for his audience to think about.

Although, if you want the straightforward explanation (as pointed out by Naze): Medaka tried to spoiler[undo her mental reprogramming due to the fact that she also gained Yukuhashi's abnormality, which is the ability to feel the emotions of others. If it weren't for that, she likely would have continued to disregard Zenkichi as Medaka (rev), but his emotion was strong enough to overwhelm her into changing back to her normal self.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 18