• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2020 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Ran's mom pops up like once every 100 episodes of the anime or every 6 volumes of the manga. And because of the divorce she has become the parent to her father, so not exactly the perfect example I think.

Also mobs family is quite unique I think, but that is more due to his brother since his parents, are extremely out of the picture and reigan is more of a parent to mob then his real parents. That is not uncommon for children on the autism spectrum but I would still call it not a normal family situation I think

Yeah, but in Conan-time, 100 episodes is about 3 days. Very Happy

I think the idea of a "normal" family situation is a chimera. No such animal. But my point was only that there are anime families with both parents alive and not abandoning their kids, rare though they may be. I probably should've mentioned Yuuri Katsuki's family. They seem nice. Very Happy Then there's Iruma-kun's parents, who are alive and well and together, but jointly used and abused him until selling him to a demon (see also Hayate Ayasaki). So intact families aren't always the best either.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:35 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
When there aren't outright orphans or no family life depicted at all (the norm), there are tons of present mothers/absent fathers in anime. Inuyasha, Erased, Stars Align, Hitorijime My Hero, Haikuu!!, off the top of my head. I think the distribution of mothers without fathers is probably equal to or slightly higher than fathers without mothers. What's super rare are intact families, like Mob's in Mob Psycho 100 and the Ayases in Chihayafuru, or even divorced but with the non-custodial parent still present, like Ran's parents in Conan.

Although I never watched Erased but I read spoilers on online, if I'm correct didn't MC's mother spoiler[ later ended up dead like MC's mother in Parasyte.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:45 am Reply with quote
^ Well, spoiler[yes and no. Her death triggers his time leap, which allows him to save her in the altered timeline. But she's not only alive during most of the events of the series,] she's an active daily presence in his life and in the plot, and not just someone to represent his homelife, as so many parental figures end up being.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
..., or even divorced but with the non-custodial parent still present, like Ran's parents in Conan.

Ran's mom pops up like once every 100 episodes of the anime or every 6 volumes of the manga. And because of the divorce she has become the parent to her father, so not exactly the perfect example I think.

Small point. Mouri and Eri are separated, not divorced. Still married.
Similar situation in Mix, where the Coach is living with his daughter while separated from his successful author wife who shows up occasionally to judo slam some random burglar/robber and covertly look into how he's doing.

Although, there is a point there. While there is usually some widowing going on in Adaichi's stories there are also many examples of healthy families- yet the children have their own adventures.

BOKUBEN last year also had a dead father/ present mother . Although the show also set up the opposite deal with one of the girls (and seemed to be subtly hinting at closing that route by having the widow and widower getting acquainted).

The most annoying set-up though is one like in Rascal Does Not where both parents are completely absent because they're basically failures as parents and can't psychologically deal with their kid's problems. The "my parents are away on business" is only slightly more bearable. I get a kick out of it in Seitokai Yakuindomo though, as they are occasionally justifiably described or implied to be bad parents by their kids or their friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
Among people I follow on anime boards, Fujinuma Sachiko, the mother in ERASED, would have been voted "anime mother of the year" in 2016 for her intuitive and loving relationship with her son Satoru.

One of the first shows I saw when I began watching anime was School Rumble. I was surprised that no one seemed to find it even worth mentioning that two teen-aged girls, Tenma and Yakumo, lived by themselves in a large home. The whereabouts of the Tsukamoto parents is never discussed as I recall. In contrast, Eri's globe-hopping father and the loneliness it caused was a repeated storyline in the show. Don't recall where her mother is. A scene from that arc even appears in the OP (where Eri is drenched as her father's cab drives away.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5bmn10fKXc (around 1:20)

(I once estimated that the Tsukamoto home would have been worth around $1 million based on its size and Japanese housing prices.)
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
Reviewers is a weird case.

AFAIK, the Cr version is unwatchable because of the censorship; while at-x in japan censored the nudity but not the sex scenes, while the TW version has uncensored nudity but no sex scenes.

And the rikei ochita review just made me want to watch kaguya sama, good job, especially to the person who mentioned the director.

Regarding asteroid in love, episode two; This was a very educative episode, I learned that the earth rotates. I know more people who could use to learn that.

And talking about nekopara ;
The cat girls are slaves discourse worked wonders for me. In this series they are not catgirls unlike planet cuties or shiton gakuen; they are cats that look like humans to the viewer, like kemono friends was supossed to be before shit hit the fan.

So, seeing them as cats makes the show more enjoyable and fun, I laughed out loudly when they said that one cat was so dumb she was not even able to hold her chopsticks.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Is there any way we can get welcome to demon school iruma-kun add to streaming reviews voting list I would love to vote for it, even thought it did not make it last season it would be cool if it had a shot now after people had an entire season to watch the show and grow a following.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
^I agree, but it's probably already too late. By the time they add it in, most people who are going to vote will have voted and won't come back to add it if they even noticed it's been added. :/
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I would adore voting for iruma-kun and seeing reviews for it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up with Pet and Id: Invaded. I think I'm already getting them mixed up. Smile But that's ok, since I liked them both and will probably sort them out soon enough. Not sure how Theron failed to recognize Satoru as a young adult, just because he went blond. He still had that dopey, otaku-zoned look he had as a kid ODing on anime. Smile

Jeweler Richard was fine. I don't mind talking heads if what they're saying is interesting, and it was. It looks like it will be a nice, laid-back iyashikei series, and with Takahiro Sakurai purring at me though it all, it's all good. Between this and Ace of Diamond, I can get my fix without having to resort to watching Destructive God. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Scientists in Love was just cringy. They apparently don't seem to be in any sort of a lab that would require lab coats (and so ought not to be wearing them), so I guess miniskirts and shorts are fine, but it never stopped bugging me and pretty much everything everyone did rubbed me the wrong way.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
Is there any way we can get welcome to demon school iruma-kun add to streaming reviews voting list I would love to vote for it, even thought it did not make it last season it would be cool if it had a shot now after people had an entire season to watch the show and grow a following.

I think your post above is the best thing you can do. Good luck. Shorts like Isekai Quartet 2 usually get added in later, but as was said, by then many people have already voted.

And I hope Isekai Quartet 2 gets covered. Smile
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, seeing the preview guides just makes me feel that these reviewers are not doing a good job. Some are OK but the ratings given to certain anime are senseless especially considering the reasons for their decision once you read up on them.

I advise everyone to try the shows themselves before reading the "guide".

Then again, I come here for the forum and actual news cause it's mostly always been the case with ANN and anime reviews in general that they judge anime based on standards that no one really follows. *Flashbacks to Fire Force last season
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
borobor wrote:
I'm blown away by the animation talent and sheer creative enthusiasm on display in Eizouken. I don't necessarily know if it's going to be a personal favorite of mine, and I'm also completely in agreement with Theron's review in that Yuasa's style has just never clicked for me in the past so I had no personal hype for this one, but I got chills from the first episode.

I sincerely want to know what's so good about the show. Seriously, I don't get it. Maybe I am stupid but this seems Average at best to me
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^I agree, but it's probably already too late. By the time they add it in, most people who are going to vote will have voted and won't come back to add it if they even noticed it's been added. :/

Speaking of stuff they didn’t add they also missed Chihayafuru S3
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Speaking of stuff they didn’t add they also missed Chihayafuru S3

Yeah, while I’m fairly certain Bamboo Dong is committed to continuing to review Chihayafuru, it would have been comforting to see it listed in the survey. And I’d like to add my vote for Iruma-kun, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 18