• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - IMPORTANT SOCIAL ISSUES

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hentai4me

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:56 am Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Assuming that Irish people are prone to carrying out terrorist attacks just because the IRA has done so in the past is also racial profiling. (I'm not sure if you'd call it that for someone's nationality)

Um, where did I say "Irish people"? I specifically said the IRA.

But you didn't state, nor did the anecdote that was referred to at the start, that the Muslim in question was a member of an organisation like al-Qaeda.

So you, for whatever reason (if ignorance is unacceptable so is paranoia) assumed that that Muslim sitting over there must on some level consider a terrorist attack a response to a racial insult.

On the otherhand if it were an Irish person sitting over there; and you don't know if they are a member of the violent arm of the IRA; you would NOT assume that they consider terrorism an option.

So far; yes this is a grave simplification; unknown Muslim considers terrorism, unknown Irish person does not consider terrorism.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:06 am Reply with quote
I find myself curious as to whether Mr Zac endorses this week's discussion. I mean, yes, it's about as interesting and intellectual as any other Answerman thread we've had lately – it's just that the racism thing seems to have moved perhaps too far away from anime territory for my taste. Confused
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote
Well, I am pretty sure that I could tie racism to viewing Kodomo no Jikan and downloading fansubs to terrorism with a minimum of effort. Would that help?

MokonaModoki is here to help

Laughing

*the troll laughs and runs away*
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:47 am Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
blueharlequin wrote:
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Assuming that Irish people are prone to carrying out terrorist attacks just because the IRA has done so in the past is also racial profiling. (I'm not sure if you'd call it that for someone's nationality)

Um, where did I say "Irish people"? I specifically said the IRA.

But you didn't state, nor did the anecdote that was referred to at the start, that the Muslim in question was a member of an organisation like al-Qaeda.

So you, for whatever reason (if ignorance is unacceptable so is paranoia) assumed that that Muslim sitting over there must on some level consider a terrorist attack a response to a racial insult.

Okay, not only am I being taken out of context in replying to someone else's post but you feel the need to insult me as well.
I have been wholly civil this entire conversation yet somehow you feel the need to insult my intelligence.

I'm quitting this conversation. I give up, I surrender. Take me out back and shoot me since you somehow have gotten this mistaken perception (or somehow also jumped to the conclusion) that I am a Muslim hating extremist, despite my assertions to the contrary. Since it is firmly entrenched in your mind that I am so, nothing I say will change your mind.

Ai no Kareshi wrote:
it's just that the racism thing seems to have moved perhaps too far away from anime territory for my taste. Confused

Yes, it has. I apologize. I will never, EVER participate in a discussion of this nature again. Its a minefield filled with misconceptions.

MokonaModoki wrote:
Well, I am pretty sure that I could tie racism to viewing Kodomo no Jikan and downloading fansubs to terrorism with a minimum of effort. Would that help?

MokonaModoki is here to help

Laughing

*the troll laughs and runs away*

The humour is appreciated. TTFN
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
blueharlequin wrote:
Okay, not only am I being taken out of context in replying to someone else's post but you feel the need to insult me as well.
I have been wholly civil this entire conversation yet somehow you feel the need to insult my intelligence.

I'm quitting this conversation. I give up, I surrender. Take me out back and shoot me since you somehow have gotten this mistaken perception (or somehow also jumped to the conclusion) that I am a Muslim hating extremist, despite my assertions to the contrary. Since it is firmly entrenched in your mind that I am so, nothing I say will change your mind.

Um, I don't think anyone here is claiming you're a Muslim hating extremist. In fact, you claiming that we are is putting as many word in OUR mouths as you claim we're putting in yours.

I don't see what's so hard to get. Assuming that the worst case scenario response to an insult is that the person is going to blow himself up simply because he's a Muslim; that's considered racial profiling. I'm not saying you hate Muslims, or that you wish they were all dead, so stop reading what you want to read and start reading what I'm actually typing.
Sokol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Decent November 1 Anwerman.
As you can see I rarely have chance to stop by and read the favorite topic on ANN.

If there is one line of non-enjoyment that I try to stay away from, that would be politics. Heavy delegations and political concerns can and usually are more of a headache then being positive.
One of the reasons I enjoy Anime and Manga is for it luck of political nature.
Though that is not always the case, one of my favorite Anime - Ghost In The Shell S.A.C. definitely is quite rich with government issues that affect daily life.
It's not however pointed out the same way.

I'm twenty-five and slowly goes for another year and I was a bit surprised on the comment that Anime is mostly targeted for younger audience.
Maybe it is, I can't really judge it. I do however enjoy most genres I come across not thinking which age it could be suitable for.

If it grabs me for cuteness, or a great story, superb action, etc. - I'm sold. Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15