• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Announces One Piece

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Meh, I'm not too concerned. Shaman King turned out great, with very little (if any) sugar coating added. It's a show about the dead and they spotlighted it without concealing touchy subjects like murder.

Just like a show about Pirates will have to focus on what pirates do. It's going to be hard to make it anything else. I actually doubt anyone else could handle it better on network television.

You also have to figure that if any other company wanted the series they whould have gotten it. You really think 4Kids has more buying power than ADV or Geneon? 4Kids gave Toei and Fuji what they wanted, mass merchandise options. The ability to plug a series into as many markets as possible.

I'm all for it. We'll get a TV broadcast, Uncut DVDs, AND mountains of "stuff". I'm just crossing my fingers that Bandai gets the toy license and not Mattel...

Emerje

I see.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:05 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zac: Yeah, and the PS2 game and the GBA game. Old news.

Godai: There's no conspiracy, dude. They actually believe that there's a profit to be made from the uncut subtitled versions of their products.

Man, there's as much hate for 4Kids nowadays as there was for Streamline back in the day. So once again, I have to play Devil's Advocate. Here goes. 1)If FUNimation got One Piece first, you probably wouldn't even be able to see it this year anyway, what with them being booked with Full Metal Alchemist, Detective Conan and the rest of the DB and Yu Yu Hakusho dvd library. 2)You want more mature animation to be taken seriously, and yet when a company does take it seriously, doesn't screen it during a random A.M. timeslot and doesn't dump it to cable, you become whiny. 3)Yes, it might suck if it's edited, but as someone else pointed out, there's a manga, which would probably be cheaper to own than the dvd's anyway. 4)Speaking of cheap, considering the length of the series, seeing One Piece on tv will save you the cost of buying it on dvd. 4a) It doesn't sound like it's going to be finished anytime soon, so what's the hurry? 5) One Piece was idiotically cartoonish anyway, so I don't see how it can be dumbed down anymore than it already is. 6)Would you rather the only anime on network tv be the latest Pokemon rip-off? 7)Impressionable kids who like the show will end up being interested in other anime down the line. 8)This might lead to the movies being shown on the big screen. 9)4Kids having
One Piece makes it possible for other companies to license smaller properties, and thus prevent saturation of the market.

Nice way of putting it,GATSU. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15