• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:43 pm Reply with quote
The Daily Streaming reviews poll is up here: animenewsnetwork.com/survey/948/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Voted for both GoHands shows. They'll probably not make it anyway. Oh well.

I really want to watch Zom 100. I have the first three volumes and it's been quite the blast. I really hope someone gets Vol. 4 and onwards for me. Why? Because I live in Nigeria, and I refuse to spend >N10,000 for manga. Also, the anime looks ridiculously good. I knew I could trust Kazuki Kawagoe and Bug Films on this one.

I can't do that now, unfortunately, because I've practically sold my soul to my AniList and Wheel of Names. My schedule looks like this now

Sunday: Show By Rock (18/24)
Monday: Vermeil in Gold 3 (3/12)
Tuesday: Gosick (3/24)
Wednesday: Haikyu (73/85)
Thursday: Welcome to the Ballroom (3/24)
Friday: Mob Psycho 100 (29/38)
Saturday: Summer Time Rendering (0/25)

Yeah, wish me luck. Hopefully I get Glasses Girl or Zom 100, when I'm done with all this and Nana.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I voted for everything I’m watching this season:
Horimiya: The Missing Pieces
The Most Heretical Last Boss Queen: From Villainess to Savior
My Happy Marriage
Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts
Soaring Sky! Pretty Cure

I really hope Sacrificial Princess and Soaring Sky make the cut this time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I voted for everything I'm watching, plan on watching, or have already read the novels and manga they're based on.

"Reign of the Seven Spellblades". Despite how the first episode made it seem like it's just another generic anime about a magic high school, it very much isn't. It has some things going on under the surface that take some time to be unveiled, but definately will shock people who don't know the source material.

"The Duke of Death and His Maid". I haven't read much of the manga, but what I have read was very endearing while also being dark and mysterious.

"Mushoku Tensei". It's good and what's going to happen in this season will be even better than what happened last season.

"Classroom for Heroes". I watched the first episode and it made me interested to see what happens next. I might drop it a few episodes in, and I might not.

"Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts". From what I've heard of it, and what the reviewers have said about it, I want to check it out. I had too much going on when the first cour was airing, so I didn't watch it then. But now I do want to check it out.

"YOHANE THE PARHELION - SUNSHINE in the MIRROR". It's a Love Live spin-off. Enough said.[/b]
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:28 pm Reply with quote
So is it actually The Devil Is a Part-Timer season 3, or is it just season 2 part 2/second half with it just being a split cour. I've been seeing people say both.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
So is it actually The Devil Is a Part-Timer season 3, or is it just season 2 part 2/second half with it just being a split cour. I've been seeing people say both.

Crunchyroll listed today's episode as episode 13 and doesn't have a separate page for it, so they're counting this cour as the second half of s2. That's the designation I would use for it.

It's all really just semantics, though. Frankly, I think single-cour installments should always be considered part of the same season if they air less than a year apart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Crunchyroll listed today's episode as episode 13 and doesn't have a separate page for it, so they're counting this cour as the second half of s2. That's the designation I would use for it.

It's all really just semantics, though. Frankly, I think single-cour installments should always be considered part of the same season if they air less than a year apart.

I can agree to this, but it feels like the problem most wikis come to, where they separate things into "Sagas" and then "Arcs" when the Japanese term is usually the same. Or like how we had four seasons of Attack on Titan: The Final Season.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:10 am Reply with quote
Just saw Masterful Cat and like the other GoHands show this season, it is thoroughly charming! I didn't find the visuals too distracting and the animation was close to hand-drawn. The humor that everyone seems to know the heroine's live-in is a giant cat and thinks nothing of it while she is mortally afraid people will find out is great. And when it comes to good food, she acts more like a cat than the actual cat. This is a keeper...

Also nice that the show isn't "I was Reincarnated as a Giant Cat and now I live with a Hot Young Office Lady"....
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:27 am Reply with quote
Voted for:

Reign of the Seven Spellblades
Undead Murder Farce
Dark Gathering

Other shows I'm watching but didn't vote for since they would likely be covered either by high vote request or reviewer interest:
Zom 100
JJK S2
Mushoku Tensei II
My Happy Marriage

Gonna echo what Rebecca and primalmaximus said, Spellblades is definitely not your typical magical academy story at least in the sense stuff like Asterisk or Classroom of Heroes and it quickly grows beyond its Harry Potter trappings with only a few nods here and there. Hints of this are in the first episode, but it will be much more apparent over course of next ones. It is somewhat of slow burn kinda of series tho.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:40 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Link Click S2: Hasn't premiered yet outside AX, but easily my most hyped show of the season + has one of my favorite OPs of the season so far as well next to JJK. Definitely one I recommend catching up on even though most anime-centric sites/communities won't cover it because its a donghua.

Thanks so much for the heads up on this! Too bad this can't get a weekly review gig, even though CR picked it up.

I'm also still salty that no one, not Funi, which had S1 in Chinese and English dubs, nor CR which posted it last year, nor even any fansubbers, ever picked up the Japanese dub. Will there be a Japanese dub of S2? If so, will it be ignored too? It's a shame because a lot of people won't watch anything except Japanese dubs for whatever reasons.

And I agree that JJK OP is terrific! Very Happy
db999

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Gonna echo what Rebecca and primalmaximus said, Spellblades is definitely not your typical magical academy story at least in the sense stuff like Asterisk or Classroom of Heroes and it quickly grows beyond its Harry Potter trappings with only a few nods here and there. Hints of this are in the first episode, but it will be much more apparent over course of next ones. It is somewhat of slow burn kinda of series tho.

I haven't read the source material but even in episode 2, I'm starting to see this start to happen. It's a way more interesting episode so if anyone was on the fence after episode 1 I'd suggest checking it out because watching episode 2 has convinced me to stick with the series as it's starting to get much more interesting and if the opening sequence is anything to go by it's looking like this show might hit pretty hard later on.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:34 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
The Daily Streaming reviews poll is up here: animenewsnetwork.com/survey/948/

Is Kenshin not an option for the streaming reviews?
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm also still salty that no one, not Funi, which had S1 in Chinese and English dubs, nor CR which posted it last year, nor even any fansubbers, ever picked up the Japanese dub.

I used to be a bit annoyed about this with S1 because the in-house billibilli subs were really pretty poor for the first half, and I had hoped if the JPN dub was picked up, Funi would at least get to use their own translation team. This was also before the ENG dub was released, so those subs were pretty much was the only option if you were watching it legally. Thankfully it seems that issue is rectified for S2 on CR and they read much more clearly.

I have to assume the JPN dub is just not that easily accessible, although you can find their covers for the original OP/ED on youtube. Yes, the OP is still sung in ENG, the key is just moved up a bit haha
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:59 am Reply with quote
Just watched the first two eps. Man, they sure do know how to drop a killer cliffhanger, don't they! Also, great fight scene!

They seemed to spend a lot of time in the 2nd ep recapping the first from slightly different pov, and normally I'd see that as cost cutting or stretching toward a desired ep ending, and maybe it is, but with Link Click, I have to believe there's stuff in there I'm not seeing the significance of just yet. Very Happy
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is Kenshin not an option for the streaming reviews?

Possible compromise: Kenshin review but it’s just a discussion of Watsuki’s crimes every week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 17