• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Brynhildr in the Darkness (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Incidentally, how is this show doing from a ratings/business standpoint? Does it look like it'll get another cour at some point?

I'm really not clamouring for more or anything; I just don't see this show wrapping itself up in a single episode without becoming a nightmare of bad pacing and awkward endings. It really spent too much time meandering on the issue of the pills and "evil" witches being sent out to find #1107 every week in almost episodic fashion for the show to touch upon its own bigger picture.

Probably not anytime soon...The anime is almost caught up with the manga, and if they decide to have the same ending as this arc of the manga, there will maybe be 10 chapters worth of material to animate.

Which is a shame because the stuff leading up to the ending of this arc could probably fill at least 6 more episodes...
Mike2501

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Well I suppose it's a good thing that I'm already up to ep. 10 and really enjoying this series, because now, after reading the review for this show on the site, I understand that Hope Chapman, while writing this particular review, is either clueless as to what people consider a good and likable anime or woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day and decided to spew acid at the keyboard! (Didja like my nice, long run-on sentence?;)

While I don't find the show epic, I've certainly been enjoying the hell out of it! The only major detractor to the show is the same one that I seem to have with most anime shows that have a male lead character in the teen to twenties range; he's a wimpy, whiny, wussy-whipped loser when it comes to the fairer sex... Honestly it's getting pathetically outdated as a plot modifier and is mostly an irritant instead of being 'cutsey' like it was probably intended to be some twenty plus years ago when they started doing it. (Sigh). I'd give examples but everyone knows what I mean:/

...anyway, needless to say, I'll start treating Hope's reviews like I do the movie reviews in the newspaper; if she says it's horrible and to save your time then I'll add it to my 'must see' list ;). ...otherwise I might have believed her review and avoided this series and would have missed out on some great entertainment!
M@
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
she was right though, it wasn't a particularly good first episode
Gatherum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
It might not have been, but her (p)review stank of poor journalism anyway because two thirds of it was spent lambasting Elfen Lied in some sort of PTSD-induced conniption, triggered by the realisation that this series is written by the same author who wrote the former. I won't pretend that the rest of us haven't been comparing and contrasting the two as well in this informal thread on the forum, but we're not the journalists here, and it's different when your "professionally"-written preview column, which is supposed to give us some idea of the merit of this series, is misused to whine about another, whether the latter deserves it or not.

With all of that said, I rather disagree with Mike: Ryouta seems unrealistically restrained to me, sexually, but other than that, he's got a better head on his shoulders than most male leads in his archetype. Probably one of the redeeming qualities of this show.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Would point out, Mike2501, that Hope's preview was but one of four and by far the most negative of the four. And she did all but outright say in the preview that her evaluation of the series was so colored by her extremely negative reaction to Elfen Lied that she couldn't be objective about it. (We all have titles like that, even amongst us professionals.) That should have been a warning right there that if you disagree with what she's saying about EL then you probably shouldn't heed her opinion about this one.

While I have generally liked this series, it's almost entirely because I like the cast; I did wish a few episodes back that Ryouta would have taken the opportunity to have sex with Kasumi, but I can buy him as a "true love" type of character and I think most would agree that he is head and shoulders above most other male harem leads. (Which, admittedly, isn't saying much.) I certainly like all of the girls, even the ones that have come and gone. The way that the series has played out has shown some deep flaws, though, and episode 12 only reinforced those. But I'll go into more detail about that when I write up my full series review next week, after the final episode airs.

And yes, I will be making lots of references to EL, too, when I write that review, as I think it's impossible to properly review this one without comparing it to EL. But I had a much more positive impression of EL than Hope did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
it's being released in two box sets, with part 1 set for release July 30th. so we'll find out how well its doing the following week

From what I understand, that's kind of an unusual release strategy for Japan. I think the majority of initial releases there get the single volumes treatment (so a 1-cours show is typically released in 3 or 4 volumes) or if it seems like a real sales stinker it will get a single set release (like Shangri-La). The latter is fairly rare, though, I think.

I wonder if this two set release is an indication that the Japanese distributor doesn't think it's going to sell well enough to justify a singles release strategy.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:30 am Reply with quote
The Elfen Lied anime really scaled back some of the author's worst tendencies, which led to it making less sense than the original (not that the original was all that sensible, either).

In some ways Brynhildr in the Darkness's manga does the same, where the author scales back some of his own worst tendencies, which allows the anime adaption to be pretty straightforward (though, for this last arc, pretty rushed). The result is that, while it may not hold up on the atmospheric or emotional gut-punch level, I think it is far better than Elfen Lied in terms of the story itself. The plot is straightforward enough to not get in the way, while the characters get development that makes them interesting enough to care about.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
Incidentally, how is this show doing from a ratings/business standpoint? Does it look like it'll get another cour at some point?

I'm really not clamouring for more or anything; I just don't see this show wrapping itself up in a single episode without becoming a nightmare of bad pacing and awkward endings. It really spent too much time meandering on the issue of the pills and "evil" witches being sent out to find #1107 every week in almost episodic fashion for the show to touch upon its own bigger picture.

Yeah one of things that i feel they empathized a little to much was the brutal killings of the witches. As with Black Bullet I don't really approve of senseless death that doesn't serve any other point than to beat in the same issue OVER and OVER again. It doesn't help that the villain is pretty much Disney levels of generic with a blatantly hateable attitude towards human life. I know villains are supposed to bad things (that's basically their job) but when you have bad guys like this who are outlandishly unrealistically evil you can only help but laugh Laughing. He's pretty much completely unredeemable at this point so of he's the only thing left is for him to get was he deserves.
Mike2501

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
Key, well believe it or not I haven't actually watched El. Funny that I've watched so many obscure ones but not some of the better known titles, heh. ...and I agree with you that he's more level headed than most male characters, just wish they could wash him the rest of the way and ditch the 50's twelve year old mentality with girls, heh. :)

...and not having sex, well 'true love' type or not, that was pretty cold! I mean, here you have a girl that has repeatedly told you she wants to have sex with you, she's most likely going to die in a few weeks and you just blow her off! Cooooold! ;). Dude should be handing out deli wait numbers! "Ok, your #2, you get #3..." Heh.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
Does there even exist a main character that sleeps with a bunch of the girls in anime? The only one i recall is Makoto and we ALL know how great guy he was..... Confused. I think turning into a man whore would make Ryouta into a pretty sleazy guy if you ask me.

"Pity sex" is the worst kind of sex. I might be the only one to think this but sex does have a bit of sacredness to some people. Just handing it out because people ask for it regardless of their circumstances lessens it's overall meaning. I believe it's meant for two people who are truly in love not two people who obviously don't have the same chemistry (Kazumi x Ryouta) .

Ah but that's just hopeless clean romantic in me. These days sex is about as scared as a dirty peace of gum that's been under a table for 20 years. Rolling Eyes
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
"Pity sex" is the worst kind of sex. I might be the only one to think this but sex does have a bit of sacredness to some people.

It would not have been pity sex. Ryouta clearly has a reciprocal attraction and no real reason to abstain other than the usual characteristic Japanese male reticence. Perhaps "urgent" would be a better word. I have read in many places that impending danger of death has an aphrodisiac effect and that should apply in this story if it would anywhere.
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
1. Ichijiku is perfectly believable.
The lab's program does the following: It kidnaps children; implants them with an alien parasite in an attempt to make super soldiers; subjects them to a battery of apparently painful tests; and kills candidates that do not meet their expectations.

This kind of behavior is significantly outside the normally accepted moral bounds of society, so it requires personnel whose morals are significantly outside the accepted moral bounds of society. Unlike gang culture, there is no significant subset of people who reinforce a different set of morals. So this program needs people with severe psychopathy.

On one hand, we have a nihilist who only cares about himself and his sister.

On the other hand, we have an honorable family man prone to showing overt sympathies.

It seems to me that Ichijiku is far more believable than, say, Kurama.

2. There's no problem with Ryouta refusing to have sex with Kazumi
Ryouta likes Neko. To Kazumi, he has shown nothing more than friendship and a basic biological reaction toward the opposite sex. I do not expect him to agree to have sex with her simply because she throws herself at him.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'm finding the "dude should have had sex with her" attitude bordering on offensive in here. Why? Because it's the exact same thing as "oh, she friendzoned him" or "oh, she's hot but won't have sex with him, what a bitch" that happens in the real world.

Some people don't want to have sex. Is it really such a hard concept? He has never been shown to be interested at all in having sex with any of them, and is only even attracted to Neko.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
1. Ichijiku is perfectly believable.
The lab's program does the following: It kidnaps children; implants them with an alien parasite in an attempt to make super soldiers; subjects them to a battery of apparently painful tests; and kills candidates that do not meet their expectations.

This kind of behavior is significantly outside the normally accepted moral bounds of society, so it requires personnel whose morals are significantly outside the accepted moral bounds of society. Unlike gang culture, there is no significant subset of people who reinforce a different set of morals. So this program needs people with severe psychopathy.

On one hand, we have a nihilist who only cares about himself and his sister.

On the other hand, we have an honorable family man prone to showing overt sympathies.

It seems to me that Ichijiku is far more believable than, say, Kurama.

Regardless that still seems to border on making a villain just so he can do bad things just because he's evil. If there was a bit more to his character up to this point I would see what your getting at but all we have been given at this point is that he is a psychopath trying to bring back his sister by any means and is uncaring towards human life.

Throughout the series he's pretty stoic and unfeeling so I don't really think considering all the things you mentioned changes that. He was hired to be an enormous dick because he's crazy. How is that any different any generic villain who kills people because he wants to fulfill his evil ambitions? I admit his personality does make sense for his position but he's still just that guy who's out to hurt everyone he so it's more satisfying to see him bite the dust.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
but all we have been given at this point is that he is a psychopath trying to bring back his sister by any means and is uncaring towards human life.

This brings up another problem I have with this character type.

Yes. Just imagine how pleased and thrilled sweet little sister will be when she is brought back to life in a world of nothing but mouldering and melted corpses brought about but the incessant torture and slaughter of innocent girls. No possible friends ever -- not even slaves -- and no modern comforts other than what a decaying civilization could provide. But oh there is adoring creepy brother.

That's the plan anyway. Utterly brilliant evil guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 21