• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Are Anime Fans Obsessed with Steven Universe?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
TuxedoSam was not necroposting.

My mistake, sorry about that TS.
Quote:
Although, it is irrational not to watch a cartoon just because there are crazy fans. lol

Quote:
What the fans do or don't do, is no reflection on the show itself. So even if fans are monstrous demons, it doesn't mean the show is good or bad.

The problem is if I do watch it who am I going to talk with about it? I like Shamylan's Last Airbender movie, it was a good martial arts movie and I am not familiar with the source material. However, for some reason people hate it (I've seen reviews, most of them are just over reacting to the acting and writing without paying attention to other aspects) because it didn't do the source material justice. Because of my appreciation for the movie I refuse to see the source material out of respect. Say I watch SU, what if I ended up loathing it? I already get flack on a regular basis for finding Kingdom of The Crystal Skull the best Indiana Jones movie, X-Men: Last Stand being my favorite X-Men movie, Amazing Spider-Man 2 being my favorite Spider-Man movie, denouncing every Disney animated movie and Kurosawa samurai movie, and Terminator 2 being my least favorite Terminator movie. This is just more stress on the pile to fight on a regular basis (and believe me for every one thing I mentioned I'm leaving out a dozen more not even counting anime related stuff), I deal with enough of it already. Can you find people that agree with you on multiple opinions? Congratulations, I wish I had that.

And seriously, have you guys been to Godzilla forums (especially Toho Kingdom or Kaiju Galaxy)? I have, you'd be amazed how much of a horrific abyss the fandom is, it is comparable to a trapdoor spider and we are mere millipedes walking along the seemingly innocent dirt. They will literally hunt you down to other places you go ready to slander, it happened to me. Why else do you think I act aggressive all the time? Ten years of that will eventually get to you.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

here the majority of the characters are fat and ugly looking,

Ugly is a matter of opinion, but it is particularly because the show has all kinds of proportions that many people support the show. Instead of everybody having supermodel bodies looking like goddesses, some are tall; some are short; some are fat; some are chubby; some are thin; some are muscular; some are regular; etc. They see themselves represented in the show.

(For full size of the chart.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Steven Universe is the new My Little Pony in terms of extreme fandoms Back in the day if you didn't subscribe to the headcanon that Twilight Sparkle was Indian you were a racist bigot and should kill yourself. So that comes as no big surprise. Steven Universe fans also attacked one of the show's producers because they didn't support their headcanon lesbian ship.

Maybe it's because I started watching Friendship Is Magic around Season 3, but that's the first I ever heard of that headcanon.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Say I watch SU, what if I ended up loathing it?

Then stop watching it. No one's pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to watch Steven Universe. (Well, I hope that'll never happen to you.) It's okay to have a minority opinion. There are other things you can talk about with people. (And if someone refuses to talk about anything other than Steven Universe, you ought to go talk with someone else.)
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
As a film, Airbender's problem, from someone who saw the series after the movie, were clunky dialog and breaking the cardinal rule of all film - Show, don't tell. Don't narrate relationships, show them to us.

Oh yeah, the SU fandom is INSANE. Like, terrifyingly so. And they infected the Voltron fandom so that show's a wash too.
TuxedoSam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
If you don't like the show, then you don't like it. I still think people should give it a fair chance, but if they don't want to, then so be it.

I have zero negative experience with the SU fandom because it's extremely easy to avoid it. I don't use Tumblr and I'm not apart of any extreme forum. I simply just enjoy the show for its beautiful and diverse character development, humor, art, and story. It's extremely attractive to me and I wasn't even aware SU had a huge following until I watched the whole series and looked up videos of it on YouTube.

It's really foreign to me to hear such a dramatic reaction and anti-sentiment towards SU. I guess I just haven't been exposed to the extreme behavior to understand.

/shrug

Thursday's ep was AWESOME.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Welcome to ANN, TuxedoSam. For future advice it isn't a great idea to go necroposting unless you're updating with important news or you get permission from the mods in advanced. Razz

For future advice it isn't a great idea to backseat moderate people. Especially when you do it and don't bother to report the post for necroposting that you're backseat moderating. Which, as was pointed out, wasn't even necroposting. So how about you leave the moderating to moderators. Thanks.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Oh yeah, the SU fandom is INSANE. Like, terrifyingly so. And they infected the Voltron fandom so that show's a wash too.

How was Voltron itself affected by the Steven Universe fans?

TuxedoSam wrote:
It's really foreign to me to hear such a dramatic reaction and anti-sentiment towards SU. I guess I just haven't been exposed to the extreme behavior to understand.

/shrug

Thursday's ep was AWESOME.

Everything is going to have people who passionately dislike it and can't want to tell everyone how much they dislike it. The more popular something is, the sooner you'll find them.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Really don't know why people care about what the fandom thinks. I watch shows for myself, not so I have something to talk about to other people. If people are insane, you simply do not talk to them.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

How was Voltron itself affected by the Steven Universe fans?

The same tumblr SJ crowd who insist everyone is gay and they'd better make it canon or else you're all homophobic and we'll kill you. Also a character specifically pointed out as a girl is according to their head canon non-binary and we don't care what the producer says, if you say otherwise you're a bigot. Same crap, same fandom imports.

At least looking for something else away from those guys led me to Kuromokuro, which is a fun show.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

here the majority of the characters are fat and ugly looking,

Ugly is a matter of opinion, but it is particularly because the show has all kinds of proportions that many people support the show.

I'm curious if Lord Oink meant "Accel World" fat-&-ugly or "One Piece" fat-&-ugly. I love both shows, but while I appreciate the fact that the MC in AW is "fat and ugly", that is also important for the specific narrative they are telling and is relevant to the character. I love One Piece, but I was initially put off by the design aesthetic and only got into the manga after curiosity about a specific character, which then got me hooked on the story. GTO is another one that I am not fond of the art style, but love the story. In a similar vein, I can totally understand people that're put off by SU's design aesthetic along with many other CN shows (like Adventure Time).

If someone doesn't like that aesthetic, that's totally their prerogative. Altho if you like the look of CERTAIN characters but don't like that Steven is a kind of dumpy looking kid, well that's all you. (I don't watch most CN shows because I don't like the aesthetic of most of them, SU included)
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Really don't know why people care about what the fandom thinks. I watch shows for myself, not so I have something to talk about to other people. If people are insane, you simply do not talk to them.

Part of my enjoyment in a show comes from the fandom. I like having discussions and theories on where the story is going, all the fan-art, doujinshi and other fan creations, displaying and collecting merchandise. I've never been a fan of watching shows in isolation myself, so I can totally understand why a fandom would kill a show for someone. I've only seen like 2 episodes of SU so I have no idea how legit some of the gay/trans/etc themes are, but I know people love to project on shows, and censors wouldn't let the do much anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the characters never actually say the word gay/lesbian or "this is my girlfriend/wife" do they?

Beatdigga wrote:
The same tumblr SJ crowd who insist everyone is gay and they'd better make it canon or else you're all homophobic and we'll kill you. Also a character specifically pointed out as a girl is according to their head canon non-binary and we don't care what the producer says, if you say otherwise you're a bigot. Same crap, same fandom imports.

I think that's just Tumblr more than anything else. They do that for a lot of shows, not just SU. I don't watch much American TV so I've generally avoided that side of fandoms, so the closest I've come is Pokemon GO where they insist a few of the team leaders and trainers are trans or something, but they generally stay away from the main Pokemon community and only care about GO so I never really encounter them. I could totally see the frustration though.

-Stuart Smith
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

At least looking for something else away from those guys led me to Kuromokuro, which is a fun show.

Doesn't sound like the source material itself was affected much, and you can enjoy something without ever interacting with any fans of it. Kind of like with me and Sonic.

But I guess yeah, there is the other side of it, like Stuart Smith describes, where you consume something to be part of the community. Honestly, I'm not really that kind of person, so I don't really have much to say on that perspective.
TuxedoSam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Everything is going to have people who passionately dislike it and can't want to tell everyone how much they dislike it. The more popular something is, the sooner you'll find them.

I'm aware, but I've yet to witness the sort of extremism others have mentioned.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Doesn't sound like the source material itself was affected much, and you can enjoy something without ever interacting with any fans of it. Kind of like with me and Sonic.

But I guess yeah, there is the other side of it, like Stuart Smith describes, where you consume something to be part of the community. Honestly, I'm not really that kind of person, so I don't really have much to say on that perspective.

My concern is that they will end up affecting the show and ruining it. Arrow's monumental collapse into utter garbage to please the shipping of a Mary Sue OC has simultaneously made the show's quality plummet and crap over 70+ years of Green Arrow comics. And to see a show that's promising pander to tumblr morons would just ruin it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
TuxedoSam wrote:
I'm aware, but I've yet to witness the sort of extremism others have mentioned.

At least from my perspective, I've hung around the Internet Movie Database, YouTube, GameFAQs, and other places based around discussion of works of entertainment. There's hardly anything that doesn't have at least one person who's astonished something they hate so much can be liked by so many others.

In this case, there is a fandom rivalry between anime and western animation. It's been going on for decades, and while it used to be way more bitter, it still persists. There are people here on Anime News Network who will dismiss any western animation, especially if it's American, regardless of what it is. Similarly, if you go to a place where western animation fans hang out like Cartoon Brew, you'll soon find people with nothing good to say about any anime. As a fan of both anime and western animation, this conflict has long been a source of annoyance for me.

All in all though, anime has a purpose and a commercial structure that's very different than almost all other animation produced on Earth. This means that anime and only anime will appeal quite strongly to certain people, and the opposite will happen to certain others.

Beatdigga wrote:
My concern is that they will end up affecting the show and ruining it. Arrow's monumental collapse into utter garbage to please the shipping of a Mary Sue OC has simultaneously made the show's quality plummet and crap over 70+ years of Green Arrow comics. And to see a show that's promising pander to tumblr morons would just ruin it.

Ah, you mean a show directly appealing to fans. I've seen it work for some shows (like Buffy the Vampire Slayer), not work for some others (like Drawn Together), and yet others are hit-or-miss (like Friendship Is Magic). And then you have people like Stephen Colbert, who subsists nearly entirely on his fans. Thus, I consider it a tool for writing that can be good or bad depending on the author's ability to understand what the fans like so much about something.

I think Steven Universe is safe. All the show needs to do is remain what it is, and considering how very deliberate and planned out the show is, I think that's exactly what it'll do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20