• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online II TV Anime to Launch in 2014

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonic720

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
Adaminator1 wrote:
sonic720 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Except the "stigma" is never actually shown except in the episode where it is established. It literally has no effect on anything the entire series.

The stigma is clearly shown by Kibaou's witch hunt on him and other beta testers/cheaters. Re-read what I wrote before about what happened in episode 2.

Did he not say "except in the episode where it is established"?

It is shown in other episodes later on as well. The guild he's with early on can't know this lest he be found out. They mention the stigma with beaters periodically and how Kirito chooses to stay away from most due to it. There's no struggle shown because he avoids any conflict by masking his identity; thus the solo playing. He even mentions his beater label as his motivation to stay solo later on in the series.

I almost forgot, there's one instance again later where he is openly ostracized by a specific individual for being one. Kuradeel, Asuna's body guard, rejects kirito due to him being a beater. He is convinced a no good beater is not good enough to defeat him in battle nor care for Asuna and Kirito proves him wrong.

Last edited by sonic720 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Bright_Spear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
Adaminator1 wrote:

That and you seem to think everyone not on the front lines isn't because they're too inept at everything, even after many months of game activity.

No, there is a lot of reasons why they couldn't go and fight. A lot went on to be support players(blacksmiths, people who gathered material, info brokers, shop owners) who wouldn't last two seconds in the wilds by themselves. And they couldn't move on to new floors without the frontlines opening the new gate. Then you probably had people who weren't that good or dedicated at grinding to level up. Or people who didn't do either and went on to do whatever.

Adaminator1 wrote:
We are going to have to agree to disagree because this particular part of the discussion is going nowhere at all because you seem pretty vehemently opposed to the idea of people ever thinking to defend those who ARE too weak to handle themselves.

No, I know people were defending the weaker people in the games. I'm just not optimistic enough to believe everyone would get over whatever conflicts they had, real world, or virtual.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Bugnin wrote:
You're asking a random collection of people (the vast majority being teenagers) to form a police force with detectives capable of acting professionally. They can't even raid dungeons correctly, and they actually signed up to do that when they bought the game.

To my knowledge, there were no players in the game that were trained in law enforcement.

Actually, the vast majority were in their 20s and 30s.

Anyways, there are a couple things being over looked. First, it was a year before people were willing to openly and directly kill other players. Even bandit guilds only intimidated people rather than kill them. Second, short of a few specific loopholes, towns were safe. So it was only in the field that people were truly threatened, and only after quite some time passed. That's the sort of thing that leads to low demand for policing.

Next the Army did technically take up the mantle of being peacekeepers, as they were the ones that took up running the prison. However their own internal problems, and the shear size of Aincrad would place some significant limits on what they could do.

Finally, while the anime omitted mention of it, spoiler[the lead guilds did crack down on Laughing Coffin when it got out of hand. They had to put clearing the game on hold to properly do so.]

So it's not like no one was willing to maintain order. Rather those best able to maintain order were normally busy with more important things, the need for a centrally maintained order was limited, and the needs for maintaining order that did exist could not be adequately met by those willing to do so for a variety of reasons.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
sonic720 wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:
sonic720 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Except the "stigma" is never actually shown except in the episode where it is established. It literally has no effect on anything the entire series.

The stigma is clearly shown by Kibaou's witch hunt on him and other beta testers/cheaters. Re-read what I wrote before about what happened in episode 2.

Did he not say "except in the episode where it is established"?

It is shown in other episodes later on as well. The guild he's with early on can't know this lest he be found out. They mention the stigma with beaters periodically and how Kirito chooses to stay away from most due to it. There's no struggle shown because he avoids any conflict by masking his identity; thus the solo playing. He even mentions his beater label as his motivation to stay solo later on in the series.

I almost forgot, there's one instance again later where he is openly ostracized by a specific individual for being one. Kuradeel, Asuna's body guard, rejects kirito due to him being a beater. He is convinced a no good beater is not good enough to defeat him in battle nor care for Asuna and Kirito proves him wrong.

You've easily been the most level-headed, I believe, in this entire debate, combating everything thrown with fact after fact. Kudos fam.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
Finally, while the anime omitted mention of it, spoiler[the lead guilds did crack down on Laughing Coffin when it got out of hand. They had to put clearing the game on hold to properly do so.]

Considering that spoiler[the last remnants of Laughing Coffin are among the main antagonists of the GGO arc, it'd be nice to see that initial purge actually depicted, if only to offer a little backstory.]

In any case, I honestly couldn't care less if Miyuki Sawashiro reprises her role from the video game or if they replace her with someone else. Call me back when Aniplex of America licenses it and announces the English dub cast. I'll only watch it if it airs on Toonami; considering that the first series actually performs decently enough in terms of ratings, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for Aniplex to give the broadcast rights to Williams Street once the second series gets licensed.
Hawkwing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
Oboi, 2014's gonna be a fantastic year. Anime hyper

Ufotable animating Fate/Stay Night, The return of Fairy Tail and now the announcement of Sword Art Online II.
Trevor_Leong

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:22 am Reply with quote
I know GGO but I really hope if they could remove Yoi. Please don't give any hate replies but I am pissed off by the fact that ever since Yoi came into the picture, Kirito and Asuna never really had romance or should I say could. That is really how I feel.
Maciste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Trevor_Leong wrote:
...Kirito and Asuna never really had romance or should I say could.

Could you elaborate?

I'm just asking out of curiosity.
isoge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Shinon and girly kirito <3
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
flackenstien wrote:
It's not a case of "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE"..
It's a case of "STOP SAYING BAD THINGS ARE AMAZING"..

It's fact that Sword Art Online was a bad anime, not opinion.

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/factsopinions.html

Actually, if we subscribe to George Berkeley's philosophical theory of immaterialism, then Blinkey's assertion that Pal has four legs is also a subjective opinion and not a fact.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 pm Reply with quote
wow, I didn't know that Arthur was still going
Nanimea>.<

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I CAN'T WAITTTTTT
GAHHHHHH!!! :lol: :D :D
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Actually, if we subscribe to George Berkeley's philosophical theory of immaterialism, then Blinkey's assertion that Pal has four legs is also a subjective opinion and not a fact.

LOL Laughing

Of course, the empirically simplest and most obvious 'answer' to the nature of things is materialism. Anything else we've thought up essentially runs into the realm of spiritual bullshit of some sort.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

LOL Laughing

Of course, the empirically simplest and most obvious 'answer' to the nature of things is materialism. Anything else we've thought up essentially runs into the realm of spiritual bullshit of some sort.

Haha, I would probably agree with you, though I do enjoy studying some of these philosophical theories that are outside of the mainstream public. Berkeley's ideas are actually a lot of fun to think about, especially the problems created by it. One of the most challenging issues with immaterialism is that you can never know whether or not you are the only consciousness existing in the universe. Every other person you come into contact with could simply be (essentially) a figment of your imagination. Alternatively, under similar philosophical theories, all other humans could simply be "robots" that don't have souls, and there is no way for you to know for sure. Fun, right?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Adaminator1 wrote:
...I just came to a realization that I'm likely gonna be lynched for posting and may very likely have been come up with before by someone else, but when I was grappling with my gripes for this show somewhere else and trying to find something astute to compare it to... SAO is Twilight for MMO nerds.

Oh wow, what a powerful zinger! I can certainly see why you've used one of your 14 posts on that thigh-slapping masterpiece. We await with bated breath to see what other timeless classics will issue forth from your hilarity machine. Rolling Eyes

Where is the "like" button ANN?

To anyone who watched SAO all the way through, What was so good about it? Beside the mainstream attention, SAO was another drop in the bucket when it comes to stereotypes and cliched storylines. It had quite the Greed Island story in the beginning, then El Hazard vibe towards the end.

What exactly in the show was redeemable?

Was is because SAO was actually broadcasted and streamed or that the soap opera love story was far beyond all expectations?

How many of the happy fans here actually paid for any of the LN's?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 21